“'Big Hotel with great facilities etc but still time for relaxing.”
Review of Sol Don Pablo

Sol Don Pablo
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Thirsk, England, United Kingdom
“'Big Hotel with great facilities etc but still time for relaxing.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

In fairness Torremolinos wasn't my idea of a place to go for holidays with some many outdated preconceptions. However it was a compromise with a 16 year old son who wanted 'busy' and also a 19 year old autistic son who wanted a good pool and not too much late night noise. My partner wanted a tan and a rest I wanted a bit of culture and a rest. Well the hotel catered for all of us great facilities which share with two other Sol hotels. The hotel is in a great location although apart from a few bars at the front of the beach 20metres away we did not venture far.A lot of the bars seem to follow the climb up the hill as you go into the older part of Torremolinos until you eventually get into a few long strips of bars and restaurants.
The food is great the amount of choice is fantantastic and plentiful. Even for those who want 'british style' food or have an autistic son who through habit won't change from the 'norm' there is plenty of fries , chicken, pizza .There is usually three large food bars with 1.salad and cold meats 2.hot food,pasta, meats etc 3. desserts . At at the back different cuts of Pork,beef, lamb , fish , potatoes rice. I've seen the comments about staff favouring the spanish but I found them very helpful even when busy and a few hola's and gracia's however clumsy go a long way. Note the restaurant seems to peak with the Spanish families usually eating later than the Brits about 8.30 until 9pm. We ate at about 7.30 and the restaurant was relatively quiet. Breakfast had a large choice too.
Swimming pools were great and not too crowded with plenty of sun loungers. Nice cool breeze off the sea but if you're fair skinned like me don't underestimate how hot it is as I got burned a record 3 times. Very embarressing when there is a freelance sun-adviser at the location once a day. The areas were young child friendly and there were various parts you could choose were more relaxing ,getting up to put a towel out is not an issue. I'd say most people staying were Spanish maybe 70-75% then Brits with a few Italians and French. This becomes more telling with the late night entertainment as the english singing acts such as a Jersey boys tribute and a Drifters/4 Tops did not get the following or appreciation from the spanish audience as the flamenco or a magician seemed to get. In fact entertainment was possibly one negative for such a highly rated hotel however they seemed family orientated and the shows put on by the hotel entertainment staff such as Mamma Mia were mimed but loved by the young kids so I didn't mind so much however if you are in your 20's or in a very young minded disposition you might find it's not for you and need to go away from the hotel for better quality or more up to date entertainment.So all in all a good hotel ,ideal location as said. Many positives negatives were picky ones, no balcony light to read late on (if required!) , desserts were not great compared to other hotels and rest of food on show. Drink prices I thought were high although I don't know how the rest of Spain compares but they were almost double hotel in Albufeira (late April season just starting). Some entertainment could be better from a British point of view).Great to visit Aquapark, Benalmedina, Malaga Town (town centre is great,tapas and bars etc) Granada mostly the Alhambra Palace was fantastic and the journey 1hr 45 was good enough with plenty of great country ,landscape to see. All in all a great holiday helped along by a very good hotel.

Room Tip: East side rooms look over night outside entertainment and bar good views without moving but are obvi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michael W
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Michael W,
Many thanks for your thorough review. I am so glad to see that we covered the bases for the varied requirements of your family. I see that you managed to sneak away to Granada and Malaga for a little culture too. I hope that we might see you all gain in the future.
Jaime Floyer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks in the Don Pablo.We had stayed at the hotel twice before but had not been there for 5 years. Hotel met all our expectations. Spotlessly clean, superb location, and great entertainment.We arrived quite early in the morning but were allocated our room at once.All of the staff were friendly and helpful.
A special thanks to two people: Lola who cleaned the room- what a treasure; but especially Antonio, the Quality Manager who was so helpful when I was unfortunately pick-pocketed in the town during our first week.Antonio was very helpful in facilitating contacting Police, Bank etc.
Still, we didn't let the experience spoil our holiday and we had a great time. We are looking forward to coming back to the Don Pablo for our holidays next year and can think of no better recommendation than that.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors have walk in showers. It pays to contact the hotel in advance with any request...
6 Thank McQuade2013
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear McQuade2013,
Thanks for writing in to TA about your holiday in Torremolinos. I was so sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience in the town and am pleased to hear that Antonio managed to help you through the beaurocracy!
I really hope that you come back next year and keep enjoying your holidays with us.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Sol Don Pablo was a great holiday stay! The rooms were clean and spacious, the staff was fantastic and friendly. The food was good and there are plenty of places to go out and eat as well. I had a lateral sea-view room and the view was amazing. There is live music and entertainment every night at the hotel, so you are guaranteed a good time. It is quiet and peaceful at night after the show. If you have a family, there are activities for everyone. I would highly recommend any of the Sol Don Hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Danielle K
Dear danielle K,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I really appreciate you taking the time to let everyone know. I hope that we see you again soon.
Jaime. Floyer.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Sol Don Pablo. Firstly, I am not a fussy person by any means!? It stated that the hotel was a 4 star and i fully understand that these true stars can vary but would say ths was more of 3 star, i stayed at the Sol Guadalupe in magaluf a couple of years ago which was a 3 star....this hotel was a 4 star easy!!!! We arrived at 8pm at night and to be honest, found the hotel staff to be pretty slow at check in and it wouldn't hurt for the gentlemen who checked us in to take a course on customer service. The rooms were dated but very clean and the maids were always top notch!? There was plenty of choice at breakfast and never had an issue getting a sun lounger!?! We found the local area to be rather boring, the restaurants weren't the best to be honest,not many clear cut pubs about.....maybe we were just looking in the wrong places!?

Dear Sarah A,
I am sorry that you were so disappointed in the Sol Don Pablo and the surounding area. It is true that we don't have the pub culture that Magaluf does here, but I suppose sometimes if you don't try something out you won't know. Torremolinos is a rather quieter family-style resort.
I am deligted that you like our Sol Guadalupe hotel so much. I have visited myself and it is the best 3-star hotel I know. It is also consistently the top Trip Advisor hotel in Magaluf.
I appreciate the time taken to write up your review.
Kind regards, Jaime Floyer.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Overall we were impressed with the hotel.
Though rooms were dated but very clean, housekeeping did a great job daily, good big shower, nice sea view, very quiet at night.
Breakfast was perfect.
Reception staff had very little English. Check-in was SO slow, and they didn't seem to have any interest helping us find our way around or pointing out local attractions. Not at all helpful.
Lovely pools, beside the beach, and close to all pubs and restaurants. 10 mins to top of San Miguel street but lots of steps up.
The lifts in the hotel were really bad, again SO very slow to arrive, take the stairs its much quicker.
Overall, I would recommend it and I would stay there again.

1 Thank CityBusters
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear CityBusters,
I am so glad that you enjoyed the Don Pablo. I appreciate your taking time to write in about your holiday and am delighted that you would return.
I apologise for the long check-in times when you stayed. We hope to have improved them by now. We have installed extra IT equipment on the front desk, which was causing us trouble and allows us to have more staff at peak check-in times.
I hope taht you can report on an improvement after your next visit!
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just returned from this hotel and had a lovely holiday. The hotel was probably the best ive ever stayed in and ive been in a few ! Went with my mum and my 5yr old. The hotel was really clean and the room was cleaned every day and clean towels every day. The only thing about our room was the fridge didnt work but by the time we worked out where it was we didnt actually mention it ! The facilities were great and the pools were very clean and enough sunbeds for all if you got your towel down early !! We went to the beach most days as directly opposite. Pool bar was nice to chill mid day and grab a cold drink ! The entertainment in the evening i thought was pretty good with some good shows on, although didnt start till 10ish. Our room was on the 8th floor and had a lovely side view off the beach, big balcony too which overlooked the outside entertainment. I thought the food was beautiful, lot of choice every day, we had breakfast and evening meal. My son is quite fussy but managed to find him something most nights. I would definately come back here thought it was a lovely hotel and only 10mins transfer from airport !

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Escott16
Dear Escott16,
Thank you taking the time to review the Don Pablo. I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much and I really look forward to having you back soon.
jaime Floyer.
Newcastle
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my husband had a week here in August the hotel itself was really nice and very clean. The staff were also pleasent enough. We stayed half board where we could have either have lunch or dinner which is a good idea. The drinks in this hotel is expensive 13 euro for 2 vodka and cokes. 18 euro for a jug of sangria. The food at the hotel was ok good if your a fish lover salad bar would of been ok if they told you what they were they we're mixed salads but wasn't sure what they were. All in all I would recommend this hotel for its cleanliness and closeness to beach.

4 Thank MandNewcastle
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks for your review MandNewcastle. I am glad that the hotel fit the bill. I have taken note of the comment regarding drinks; we have maintained the prices of most of the drinks for a couple of years but will certainly bear this in mind for future price changes.
I hope that we see you again in the future.