“Good hotel for the oldies”

Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito
Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We are a couple in our thirties/forties who stayed half board for 12 nights at the end of September, travelling with jet2. We booked this hotel based on the trip advisor reviews and the price, as we paid £470 each for the holiday. We thought this represented good value.
Upon arriving and checking in, the receptionist was ok without being over friendly. Our first impression was how small the hotel is. From the reception area, you can almost reach the pool, bar, sitting area and dining room without having to move far.
Our room was very small and wasn't particularly spotless. The floors were not mopped during our stay and the mirrors and furniture needed a good dusting. The towels and bed linen were clean and there was a fridge. We did think that there was plenty of storage space for the size of the room. The air conditioning unit smelt like stagnant water.
We didn't use the pool area as prefer the beach but this did look lovely and clean. People were reserving sunbeds around the pool approx 9.00 am.
The breakfast was very nice. Choice of 3 cereals and the usual full English breakfast inc fried bread. There was hardly any fresh fruit for breakfast and we heard quite a few guests asking for bananas. Yoghurt, meats, cheese and bread and a coffee machine were also on offer. Plenty of different fruit juices that were not watered down. Breakfast was from 8-10 am and you didn't feel rushed even when going down at 9-30 am.
The waiting staff were the highlight of the hotel in our opinion. They were lovely and friendly and did interact with the guests. It is apparent that many guests return to the hotel as many seemed very friendly with the staff.
The evening meal was a bit repetitive as due to the size of the hotel and space in the dining room, there wasn't much room for more food choices. The soup was very watery and not particularly great tasting. This did get better at the end of our stay and appeared more like homemade.
The main courses did taste lovely but didn't always go together. You would find spring rolls but nothing to go with them. The salads and puddings were lovely. I will mention that no food at all was labelled, we agreed that this was the worst point of the hotel as it made the small choice of food appear even more limiting.
We did eat out 3 times but we usually do this regardless of the hotel quality.
This hotel would best suit 60 plus age group as we found that these occupied 90% of the hotel.
We would stay at this hotel again for the price as it represented good value, ideal location and quiet rooms. The beach is only a couple of minutes walk away and less than 10 minutes from Malaga airport.
The hotel doesn't advertise a happy hour but there is one from 5-6pm. This was quite popular. The drinks prices were 1-80 euros for a sml beer and 5 euros for a cocktail.

3  Thank Lyndsey E
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are always looking for ways to improve our product and our services; open and honest reviews from our guests is our best way to address areas which need improvement.

Once again I am grateful you have shared your experience and we hope see you again the next vacation.

There are newer reviews for Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed for a week at this hotel in October. Rooms and bathrooms are on the small side (we couldn't open the bathroom door fully because it hit the WC), but everywhere is very clean. The shower over the bath which was controlled by a mixer tap was difficult to get at the right temperature. Towels changed daily and sheets a couple of times a week. A bonus is that pool towels are provided free of charge, which somewhat compensates for the charge levied for use of the room safe (a regular occurrence in Spain). However, when we arrived they had run out of clean pool towels as there seems to be no system in place to make sure that fresh towels are only issued once the used ones are returned. The receptionist even commented that one family had 5 pool towels in their room! Do not be misled by the previous comment about complimentary toiletries. Yes, there are a couple of very small shower gels and shampoos provided, but these are not replenished so you do still need to bring your own (you can buy in the shops, but it is expensive compared to the UK). The area is very clean and quiet and hotel very close to the beach.

The food is OK - very hit and miss. Out of our 7 night stay, I would say that 3 nights were good, 3 were very average and 1 was awful - just like school dinners. The food is not kept hot and, as previous contributors have said, a label on items would be very helpful.

Free wifi throughout the hotel was also a bonus.

All in all, taking into account that this hotel is only a 3 star and bearing in mind what we paid, our stay was good.

The hotel has been sold to new (I believe Russian) owners so I will be interested to see the reviews once the changeover has taken place.

While we had no problem with our reservation, on talking to others, it seems that the overbooking problem is something of a recurring theme, so I guess we were fortunate not to get involved in that.

I notice that this hotel does reply to all reviews but it seems to just be paying lip service and not actually taking any action on points raised.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marionsk1955
Reviewed October 20, 2013

stayed here for two weeks, lovely hotel helpful staff and they go out of their way to help you.We were on the third floor, the room was kept clean and fresh towels daily. We had a double bed which looked brand new, and sheets changed regularly, we thought the hotel was cleaner than some of the 4 star hotels we have been in. Breakfast was excellent, there was a very good choice, fruit, yoghurts, breads, and then your usual cooked breakfast. We had a bit of everything. Evening meal was excellent, plenty to choose from, we wished food had been a little warmer at times, but if u are there first u will get your meal hot.Could not fault the staff at all, they work really hard, long hours, but always have a smile on their faces. Would go back to this hotel as the area is lovely

Room Tip: any room is good, they are all clean
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you very much for posting your opinion on tripadvisor about your holidays in our hotel, we are very glad to know that you enjoyed them.

It is gratifying to know that you have received a very kind and attentive dealing on the part of the whole personnel. And I like knowing that you have enjoyed the buffet. We are all the time improving to have variety and quality.

I appreciate your taking time to write in about your holiday and am delighted that you would return.

Bes Regards.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is my 3rd time to the hotel ,as with the previous reviewer i too was told that the hotel was overbooked Also offered the hotels other properties in Benalmadena i refused these on the principle i booked for Torremolinas as we know the area is flat and easy for walking etc.Because we could not go to this hotel after 2 days of trying to get answers from Jet 2 i cancelled at 11 am Friday.At 12 noon phone call from Jet2 to say we could go they had a room for us and re-booked.But it was with a fear of being shipped out to the other hotels.Arrive 29 Sept for 11days. Booked in ok and got a room much to our relief.Later asked at reception about the overbooking and was told the hotel had informed JET2 about it earlier.But i believe the hotel was taking bookings then trying to fill the other hotels.STRESSFUL TIME but they don,t seem to care.We where in room 101 good little room short of space in the bathroom for people with limited mobility. Since my last stay in February i believe the quality of the hotel has gone down. I hope the new owners will spend some time and money into upgrading this hotel.The staff are first rate, the public areas are kept clean and tidy,but the bedrooms are in need of care and attention.Now this hotel is just a basic 3 star nothing special .I HAVE STAYED IN 5 HOTELS THIS YEAR AND THIS IS THE WORST.Does not deserve the high rating given by Trip Advisor members.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
1  Thank Derek H
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

I am sorry to hear you did not find your stay enjoyable and that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We apologize again and hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best. Thank you.

Marketing Dptm

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Don Paquito Hotel for seven days in September and enjoyed every aspect of our stay, the cleanliness in and around the hotel is to a very good standard, the staff, always with a smile, simply couldn't do enough for us, the food was exceptional with a very good variety each day.

I requested a room on the fifth floor overlooking the pool (as advised by another reviewer) with a part sea view and my request was fulfilled. The drinks prices are very competitive 2.1 Euros for a large wine, and about the same for a large beer. We can't remember when we last went away and were sad to come home.

This review is a little late as I waited until my booking was confirmed for ten days in May 2014.
Go for it its the best in town.

Room Tip: Best room top floor overlooking the pool.
1  Thank Hadfeld
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive and complimentary review about your stay at our hotel Don Paquito.

It is gratifying to know that you have received a very kind and attentive dealing on the part of the whole personnel, fact that I will make known of the whole team.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I had booked with Jet2 in July after reading all the wonderful reviews at Don Paquito, 5 days before we were due to go I received an email from Jet2 advising me that there was an overbooking at the hotel and we were to be moved to a 5star hotel in Benalnadena, I was furious, if I wanted to go to Benalnadena I would have booked there. I phoned Jet2 extremely upset and angry and refused their offer, they phoned me at 5 that night to say that they decided to honour my booking with Don Paquito, obviously they must have been able to convince another couple to move, but i was stressed out right up until i received the keys to our room! While we were there at least 2 couples that we witnessed were told at checking in that the hotel was overbooked, and that they could be moved to Benalmadena!! Couldn't find out who was to blame Jet2 or the hotel, in all the years we have went on holiday this is the first time this has happened. The hotel is lovely and quite, clean, good food and would go back but it is changing ownership in November, so will be reading the reviews. We had a lovely time but it was spoilt by all the upset it caused me and my husband.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank citybreakers40
Calidad D, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Essence Hotel Boutique by Don Paquito, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

I am sorry to hear you found your stay stressful. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

I look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 3 years this would have been my 4th visit but 2weeks before I was due to go on holiday my travel company got in touch with me to say that the Don Paquito had overbooked so I would have to go somewhere else. They did find me another hotel to go to but that was in Benalmadena a different resort plus the hotel was about 10minutes walk from any nightlife.I refused the offer, I found another hotel in Torrimolinos instead, which turned out to be awfull, please see my report on this hotel
I have always given good reports about this hotel on Trip Advisor, but last year my report was not so good because I thought there had been some cutbacks, and it showed, but because of the previous years that I had stayed at this hotel had been very good I decided to give it another try, and this is what I got. My question is, why was I the one that got told to go to a different hotel....was it because of the report I wrote on Trip Advisor ?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BillyD22147

We apologize and hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best. Thank you.