“Excellent Food, Very good Quality.”

Olivia Valere Babilonia
Ranked #499 of 1,468 Restaurants in Marbella
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Love this restaurant. One of my all time favourites. The restaurant is beautiful and stylish. The food is well presented and very tasty! First class.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

A group of 15 of us pre booked a table at Olivia Valeres restaurant for Saturday 30/7/11.
The greeting we received was unwelcoming and cold. We were directed to a table at the bar by the host who simply pointed down the stairs.

We waited approximately 12 minutes and then asked if we could order some drinks. House wine was 15euro a glass. We later found, when seated at the table the bar tariff is a lot more expensive than the drinks list you see at the table.

A knowledgeable sommelier made some good suggestions for wine and several bottles of water were brought to our table without ordering them.

The starters were very good.

The main courses arrived sporadically. Two people in our party ordered Steak cooked medium-rare which was cold – not hot, not even warm but cold. Three people ordered vegetable lasagne, which arrived and was hot on top but again cold in the middle. On checking, another 4 people in our party found their food to be cold.

We sent the 11 meals back and asked for our food to be warm.

One of the dishes that was hot was a fish tagine – the fish was good but the sauce was bland.

Slowly, one by one the meals returned, the same food we had sent back, we noticed had been reheated and given to a different person it had originally been taken to. Also we now had no cutlery.

The lasagne however was still cold and now fairly congealed. The Steaks were now overcooked and yet still only slightly warm.

5 people of our party did not eat the food.

The waiting staff were apologetic.

We asked for the manager and 20 minutes later he arrived. ‘What can I do for you?’ he asked, unaware of the problems we had. I explained our food had taken a long time to get right and after 2 attempts at sending it back we had given up and 5 of our party had not eaten. I asked what he could do to put this right.

He said ‘I will sort this for you’. Another 20 minutes and he had not returned. After we found him, I asked what he had sorted for us and I was told that, we had received the food so what was the problem? He claimed steak cooked med-rare should be cold in the middle and yes he agreed the lasagne was cold as he had stuck his finger in it. After arguing these points for a while we explained we weren’t happy to pay for the 5 meals that we had been unable to eat. Impossible he said, ‘I can only take 2 off the bill – that is all I can do’ And on that note he left.

One of the hosts came to take over and agreed the service was unacceptable. She eventually managed to get the 5 meals off the bill, 8 bottles of water (which incidentally were 10EURO each) and two bottles of wine as a goodwill gesture.

The manager, we were advised was dealing with his VIP customers in the club.

At 12.30am we left, having paid just under 600EURO. Disappointed to say the least.

2  Thank TheMidlandLeeds
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I visited this restaurant with a group of 14 other girls on a hen party in July 2011. As this was somewhat of a special celebration we thought we'd splash out and eat at "apparently" one of Marbella's high end restaurants on one of our nights there. This was, in fact, a huge error.
On entering the restaurant the setting is breathtaking, including the beautiful staff, however from the moment you are handed a menu everything starts to go wrong.
As a group of girls we wanted to order a bottle of wine to have a drink before our meal...however we refrained when we were handed a menu with two choices of wine, each costing €150. After we all ordered an individual glass whilst waiting for our table, we got to the table to find there were more reasonably priced bottles on offer (around €25-€30) that we weren't informed of when we first arrived. You may think this is a small complaint...it gets worse.
The menu sounds delicious, and indeed the starters were, if you are prepared to wait about an hour to be served whilst the waiting staff parade around the place as if they are on a catwalk. This "parading" clearly caused a problem when it came to our main course as well because 11 out of the 15 dishes were stone cold.
Ok, we were a big party, but when I pay €32 for a steak I would like it to be hot. Not cold, as the "manager" later tried to justify that is normal with a steak cooked medium rare. Not at any restaurant I've been to before! We proceeded to send all the dishes back, some having been already cut into understandably as we were ravenous (this was at about 11pm, 2 hours after arrival). The next farce that occurred was the servers returning the main meals, some of which had been clearly microwaved to warm up (don't order the vegetable lasagne), and giving them to different people! Two of my friends had their meals swapped...and guess what...they were still cold. Another revelation later on in the evening was that the manager knew about this as he had "put his finger in one of them". What is that about?!?!?!?! Why would anyone serve cold food!!
As most people reading this can probably understand we were now getting quite annoyed, not only because this was a special occasion but because instead of actually doing anything about the problem with warming our food the staff were more concerned with topping up water when you had only taken one sip!! For anyone who decides to go to this restaurant after reading my review (why you would I do not know) pass on the water, they charge you a fortune and never leave you alone topping up your glasses ALL NIGHT.
The lovely lady who had organised the hen do decided it was time to complain to the manager, who after some feeble excuses (two of which are detailed above about the steak and the lasagne) turned his back on the party, stormed off and didn't come back!
I found the whole experience to be ridiculous from start to finish. The arrogance of the staff is off the scale and they did not know how to deal with even one complaint let alone 11 cold meals because apparently they "never get them". Maybe they need to invest in a bit of WiFi and visit Tripadvisor!
I'm conscious this review is quite long already so I will leave my complaints there. On reading the review below mine regarding the restaurant calling the police when they complained I am not surprised one bit. They refused to accept any wrongdoings on their behalf and it was only by some sheer miracle (and a lot of hard work by some determined hens!) that we managed to get out of paying for 5 of the main courses.
Avoid this restaurant at all costs unless you want to go somewhere where you spend €50 minimum a head to drink your body weight in water and not eat anything of any sort of decent standard.

9  Thank AmyLeeds
Reviewed September 5, 2008

The setting is fantastic, moonlight on your dinner table in an arab inspired castle. You need to be well off and in a party mood, or in love, to accept the final bill, though...

6  Thank Norwegians_on_travel