“Hidden Jewel”

Ranked #8 of 32 Marbella B&B and Inns
Providence
“Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

friend and I visited Marbella for a wedding and some sun. We decided to stay in old town and found this Hostal on booking.com that had great reviews and you cannot beat a $55 euro a night stay. The Hostal was hard to find, we probably asked 10 people directions before we found it in a small alley street in the middle of the beautiful winding streets.
The room was perfect for us a small fridge 2 beds and a bathroom. The hostal had a great deck that you could watch the sunrise and sunset. To top it off they had a great restaurant downstairs with delicious food for a super cheap price. All in all the location is great, the people were super nice and the parking was free in the lot behind.
Also had to mention we are right near the Arab castle and Plaza de Narajas, and hundreds of shops and tapas bars. 10 min walk to the beach and taxi station.... Recommended this place A++

Room Tip: We did not have a Balcony, but would def get one next time.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Princesmelis99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We were expecting a very basic hotel but it was clean with a specious large comfortable bed and everything one could want for a one night break. We were in one of the front rooms overlooking the street but it was fairly quiet. I would definately recommend this place for travellers

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sammisandwich
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was my third time staying at El Gallo since last October and everytime I am treated with the same great hospitality and kindess of the staff. The room as ever was really clean and serviced everyday, There have also been improvements to the rooms since my first stay. Sattelite TV with an english channel has been added plus tea and coffee making facilities and fridge. I had a meal everyday in the restaurant and the food ,although very simple was delicious and I rarely paid above 15 euros which icluded a half bottle of wine. The room rates are incredibly reasonable. I think that Antonio and the family are to be congratulated and I shall certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Tony186276
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2010

What a great little hostal this is.I've just spent 4 nights there and have been MOST impressed by the friendly spanish family that run it. They go out of their way to make you welcome and comfortable and the place is immaculate!. The restaurant is exetremley good value and I eat there on every evening paying about 19 euros for two courses,half bottle of wine a coffee and a brandy.Not bad I think. I would most certainly stay there again when I go to Marbella.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Just returned from a short break in Marbella.Excellent place to stay. Near Orange Square. Short walk to the sea front. Eat in the hostal. Food is excellent and much cheaper than those around the Square. Try Prawns Pil Pil,any of the fish dishes and the meatballs.Owners very helpful and friendly. Lovely room. Ours had a fridge which was handy.Stop for a beer or wine in Tiger Bay bar on the sea front. All drinks 1€.Coach from airport to Marbella, 4€50.Go to Gibraltar for the day. 6€50 from coach station.Hir.e bikes and cycle to Puerto Banus.Eat sardines/gambas in Red Bar on sea front.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Belgium
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The hotel is situated in the old center of Marbella, in a lovely small street, where you can pass with your car, but not park. I paid 5,6 euro for a taxi from the busstation at night. The taxidriver knew the hostal. Otherwise you can ask to take you to Plaza Santa Cristo which is nearby or you can go by foot from the busstation, it's 15min walk.

It's nearby restaurants and shops and also nearby the sea.

Upon arrival you get two keys, one of your room and one of the hotel, because there is no reception. There's a restaurant on the groundfloor where you can find them, but on Thursday they close.
The hotel is run by a very friendly family. They took my bags until the room. In all other hostals in Spain, I had to take my bags myself en look for the room myself.
You can take breakfast in the restaurant, but it only opens at 9 o'clock, which is early for Spanish people.

I think the hotel must be open recently, it looks very new. It's very clean and some rooms are big. The room I had the first night, on the second floor had a small terras.

It's runned by a family, and some of them speak a bit of English.

It was the best hostal I stayed at in Andalusia. I would certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Lalla_Saida
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I didn't pay much for my two nights in this hotel so I wasn't expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Finding it is not easy. I was driving around southern Spain so arrived in Marbella by car. And my sat-nav tried to take me down some seriously narrow streets. I eventually abandoned the car and walked the last 100 metres. I recommend you do the same. The place is just far enough out of town that street parking is free, although you might have to drive around to find a space. But once you do, you can forget your car.

It's located in a lovely little street and the place itself consists of several small rooms. My room was small but spotless. You are given two keys on arrival - one for the outside door and one for your room. The rooms are functional. Small, clean, tidy with everything that you need to sleep and wash -- the idea being that you don't spend much time in it. And you won't because Marbella has plenty of attractions and the hotel is well situated to access them. You will be in the town centre in 10 easy minutes, during which time you will walk past lots of cafes, bars and restaurants.

A great little hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo