“Every bit a 5 star!!!”

Gran Hotel Guadalpin Banus
Ranked #18 of 69 Hotels in Marbella
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Wow! This really is a first rate hotel. Prepared for a week's travel through Spain, we were'nt expecting too much considering this hotel was going to be the cheapest we'd stay in. How wrong we were. The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. The location is terrific. The surrounds are perfect. The rooms are first rate, clean and comfortable. All in all, we could not fault a thing... and we went there in winter!!! I can only imagine how amazing it is by that beautiful pool in summer. Don't shop around... just book it, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SydneyBestever
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed February 1, 2009

Just returned from a wonderful stay at The Guadalpin Banus,We arrived to a very friendly reception from staff ,and we were given our keys to a Superior double room with sea view balcony ,it was a beautiful room.We had breakfast the following morning buffet ,again fantastic and the same for dinner ,We were also so surprised by the weather we came home with a colour it was sunny everyday!! a little chilly in the evenings.Our last two days we upgraded to a front sea-view Junior Suite room 328 just amazing the views and room was outstanding and if returning I will book this room again, it was an extra 60 pounds for 2 to upgrede but well worth it so much space and lots of little extras it also had kitchen and living room ,seating and dining area ,and a huge balcony with seating and tables.The location of the hotel was great on the beach and a 15 minute walk to the Marina in Puerto Banus,this hotel I could not fault it was just superb and cant wait to return.Book it!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Angela M
Reviewed November 14, 2008

We have just returned from the THE GUADALPIN , PUERTO BANUS which was a fabulous hotel. Rooms fairly small but very clean with superb views out to sea. If you require spa treatments be prepared to travel to GUADALPIN MARBELLA ! Short distance to main centre but its not safe to walk back at night, the beach walkway is poorly lit. Staff very friendly and helpful throughout entire stay. Taxi from airport cost 70 euros which was far less than expected. READ THE MIXED REVIEWS BUT OUR HOLIDAY WAS A LOVELY EXPERIENCE AND I WOULD DEFINATELY RETURN HERE.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank K1MBERLY
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed at ‘Gran Hotel Guadalpin Banus’ in Puerto Banus, Marbella for 3 nights in July 2008 for the last leg of my Andalusia holiday.

Location - a little outside Puerto Banus - 10, leisurely 15 minutes walk along the sea. I can not quite understand the complaints of other reviewers of how difficult the walk from the hotel to Puerto Banus marina is - I walked along the sea every night around 11pm and it was a very relaxing 15 minutes walk, it is not unsafe-there are bars and restaurants still open with people having their dinner all along the way … For the ones complaining about lack of covered walkway etc. – for Gods sake relax - you’re on holiday... Every night I took a taxi back to hotel, 7,50-8 euros and 5 mins. drive.. most taxi drivers are pleasant, chatty chaps, except that one who drove me to ‘Olivia’s’ nightclub around 10pm clearly knowing that it doesn’t open until midnight..

Reception staff welcoming, smiley, pleasant to deal with. The check-in was fast and efficient; I had a rented car, the valet parked it in hotels parking facility which cost 15,- Eur a day but as I only needed it for 2 hours before returning it to car hire, the charge never appeared on my hotel bill.

I booked a superior sea view double room which was nice, clean and modern. Not the largest one I have stayed in but big enough for 1-2 people. I loved the terrace that has a settee and a table with 2 chairs and is perfect to have a breakfast on or lie down for an afternoon nap. On the downside the terrace is made of dark wooden panels and they don’t mix with water that well – stains everywhere and the white fabric covering the couches is a little stained, probably need to be cleaned more often. My room (224) had a pool/sea view (just like they advertise it on their website) and I was really happy with it.

Top marks for housekeeping – always greeting, the room was always cleaned whilst I was out, toiletries always replenished.

Wireless internet – Eur 4,- for the whole duration of stay, you have to ask for a voucher at the reception.

Hotel’s restaurant’s and bar – can not comment on that as I didn’t try any .. partly because I was holidaying on my own and did not really want to sit down to have meal on my own, partly because the hotel restaurants looked like posh school canteens to me .. sorry, can’t help being sarcastic, simply not my type of place. I would even suggest not to have any evening meals/drinks at the hotel but opt for the Puerto Banus Marina instead – you will be spoiled for choice there..

A tip - do not make the mistake I made by dressing up for a night out around 9pm – the nightlife in Spain does not start before 11pm-midnight… I felt totally out of place and had to hide in a bar behind a big glass of Chardonnay for couple of hours..lol

My main disappointment with this hotel was the swim-up bar as I partly chose this hotel because of their swim-up bar. It should be ‘the place’ for hotel guests to hang out during the day, but you would rarely see somebody sitting down at the bar. The reasons for that were the fact that the drinks were watered down so much I even asked one bartender, if there is any alcohol in it. I stopped to order them on day 2 as that was a waste of money and ordered a bottle of wine to my room instead. Another problem was the bar staff who wasn’t service orientated at all – they would leave customers standing and waiting for their attention for quite a while whilst they had far more important things to do like chopping limes, emptying the dishwasher etc. I call it an attitude problem. Should not be present in 5* hotel. I ordered some food at the pool bar once, it took forever to arrive, it was placed on the table on the other side of the bar without telling me although I was sitting at the bar in the pool. Then finally one of the bartenders told me that if I don’t get my food now, the birds will eat it. Oh, thank you for letting me know! A total lack of basic service! As for food quality – an average microwave meal level.

Would I stay there again – yes, I would … I just wish they would sort out the problems with the pool bar..

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank Dagnija C
Reviewed November 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and the price was very good for a break at the end of October. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the room was clean with a lovely view.

The problem, however, was the distance from the town. If it had been the summer this would not have been an issue as a 5/10 minutes walk along the beach would take you into town, but as it was dark early we had either to walk via the main road - a good 20 minute walk, or take a taxi at 10euro each way. The approach road to the hotel being unlit and potholed.

Overall this was a lovely hotel and we did enjoy our stay but the location is a little too isolated for this time of year.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happy_to_travel_8
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I am so surprised by the negative reviews on here and wanted to let you know that we have only had excellent service and experiences every time we have visited.
My Husband and I have been to this hotel on a number of occasions (in and out of season) and always booked directly through the hotel. On each visit we have been greeted by friendly staff and have often been upgraded without requesting this. On the off chance that our room is not ready we have been happy to sit by the pool and relax until it was (this never took long). The staff are always chatty and have helped us plan trips on bad weather days.
There is always room by the pool, the fruit kebabs are great (a welcome treat) and we have never experienced any "dodgy people".
I have to admit to never eating in the restaurants as they are pretty pricey (except for breakfast, where there is something for everyone). We tend to take the short walk along the beach into town, which is badly lit but always busy and I have never felt unsafe. Pedro's (on the beach) is a great lunch spot if the hotel prices seem a little much (make sure you have the fish - delicious!)
I recommend this hotel to all my friends and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank buutgirl
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Well, not bad, not bad at all but the usual set of Chavs present that you get in Puerto Banus these days with some brokers from the city even meeting their drugs broker by the pool. Don't let the stars and price fool you as money does not get you away from these people it can land you in the middle of them.

Great rooms very well appointed and breakfast on the terrace near the beach fantastic. Fruit kebabs by the pool very welcome and the main bar by reception adequate as are the staff.

had a look around one of the suites and a nice "drum" to spend the weekend in I was informed by my new broker friend.

Would go back though !