“Five Star”
Review of La Villa Marbella

La Villa Marbella
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent a month touring Spain and this boutique hotel provided everything the five star hotels we stayed in did, if not more. The location was fabulous; right in the middle of the old part of the city and a short walk to the beach. The reception was efficient and the friendliest of all our hotels in Spain. Juan and Marcos are very hospitable and made us feel very welcome. Our room, the Palawan, was spacious, very clean, well appointed, and tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom provided everything we needed. The tea and coffee in the room was very much appreciated and the soft music as we entered the room created a homey ambiance.
The breakfast was satisfactory, the food was good and the service friendly and efficient.

I agree with a previous reviewer - this property was not over the top or an unique experience.

What La Villa Marbella is - is a charming, clean, quiet, and comfortable hotel in the heart of the old part of Marbella, with a friendly and efficient staff, and good value for your money. What more do you really want? It did meet our five star requirements and then some.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank okanagansun

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I booked Room Java. It is a lovely ground floor room with a nice big 4 poster bed. Loved the room design. Room was absolutely spotless and cleaned to a very high standard every day. Everywhere in the hotel was very clean. Staff at hotel are second to none. Very nice people. Marcos is very helpful and takes such pride in the hotel. Ben is also very helpful and good fun! I loved the location of the hotel in the old town. The old town is such a nice, relaxing, romantic place. Breakfast in hotel delicious. If i stayed here again i would treat myself to a suite with a jacuzzi...those rooms look amazing! Overall, we loved this hotel! Its a great place that i will recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank rosco263
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we read that it was the top ranked hotel in Marbella on this site. We were not disappointed. Marcos and his staff made us feel welcome and like family. The hotel was so nice and we thoroughly enjoyed the patio and spending time there as well as our room. They helped with any details of itinerary for the days we were there and even knew exactly when each bus would be leaving the station and the time we should call the taxi to be there most comfortably. It was truly an awesome experience.

2  Thank becyoung1
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have just stayed here for 2 nights and feel rather frustrated with TA, or rather its community. I found this place to be perfectly acceptable but no more. And to describe it as 'overwhelming' and a 'unique experience' (unique in what way exactly?) is rather difficult to understand.

Lets start with the good;

The location is great, right in the heart of the old town, so if you want to be in this part of Marbella and are not particularly bothered about sea vews etc, then the location is a winner.

The hotel itself; well is it a hotel or is it a B&B/guest house? Its been christened a 'boutique bolthole', a 'boutique hotel' and other similar by both booking websites and guests, the hotel itself prefers to describe itself as a 'charming hotel'.

I think its a B&B, personally. In any event on arrival, we checked in at a mini reception and were advised we had received an upgrade from the room I had booked, the upgrade was called 'Lombok' and was a 4 minute walk up the next street in a seperate building with two other rooms in it. Im not sure I have any issue with this arrangement but surely this is where the term boutique hotel starts to look somewhat generous.

The room itself was quite pleasant, and in fairness had some things you dont see in many of even the most accomplished hotels in Spain, such as iron &Ironing board, and tea & Coffee facilities. You seldom see this in Spain, I have no idea why as it is very frustrating, but it was refreshing to see this here.

The bed was large, comfortable and the room had all we needed, but there is no charm or luxury here, it is pleasant and and it is clean, tidy and tasteful and there are some attempts to create a kind of Asian theme in theroom, but Im afraid thats it.

The bathroom, while again seemed to be relatvely new, offered an intensely disappointing shower. Im 6 foot 2 and if you are as well, and you like a powerful hot shower, youre going to be disappointed here.

Breakfast; this is the part I find hardest to understand (from the superlative reviews)
We stayed here two nights, with breakfast included and on the second morning I was tempted to go to a cafe for breakfast, but decided not to.

Breakfast is served in 'the lodge' which again, is seperate from the main 'hotel' and was about halfway to the room we were in, and on the same street. As others have already posted, you receive a small paper list on check-in to select what you would like for breakfast during your stay.
I did so and received a warm croisant with warm cheese in it and some cheap ham. Bloody awful. The coffee, whilst not the worst I have had, was dire. The jam & butter which came with the toast were from Mercadona's own brand. Come on guys, if youre going to go out and buy Mercadona items for everybodies breakfast, at least attempt to disguise it by maybe putting the jam & butter into seperate recepticles? Or actually, maybe don't bother going to Mercadona and instead source some quality for your paying guests which may cost you a bit more but will at least will make their breakfast a bit more enjoyable?Also how about a Nespresso machine?Quick,easy, and either you can do it or guests can serve themselves some brilliant coffee.

On the second day it was served by an Argentinian lady who was nice enough but the 'good morning pleasantries' were rather laboured by her and by the time we were hearing about her ageing parents arthritis over breakfast, we'd really heard enough.Plus through all the chat she began serving our food only, and we had to remind her to bring our juice and sludgy coffee.

The atmosphere in the breakfast room was also a bit bizarre, on the second morning it was just the two of us but the day before there were a few other guests and it felt rather uncomfortable if you speak more loudly than whispers, or grind your (Ikea) chair

I dont want to sound too harsh, but this place is no more than OK .

If I had read reviews which were a bit closer to the reality, I would have set my expectations accordingly before checking in, but from my own experience this place is some way from a boutique hotel, and I dont think I'd find any 'overwhelming beauty' if i was still there looking for it now.

What La Villa is, is a tasteful, quirky,friendly, Bed & Breakfast in a great location, with obvious limitations, and a poor quality breakfast offering.If you get a good price, book away, but dont go expecting any luxury or anything hip, also skip the breakfast and go out for it.

Room Tip: Lombok, which we stayed in, has a pleasant terrace
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RoundhayParker
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was overwhelmed with the beauty of this gorgeous villa in Marbella. We spent two nights here and it was one of the most romantic places we stayed during our holiday in Spain. The villa itself was amazing and the location in town was perfect for us to be able to walk in and experience the sights for ourselves, all within walking distance. I cannot emphasize how impressed I was with Marcos and his team there throughout our stay. He was wonderful and such a genuine and beautifully natured gentleman who made us feel very welcome and was extremely informative with his directions and recommendations during our holiday. A big thank you to Marcos and his team!

Room Tip: Shanghai room Rooftop with a spa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tho we were only there for an overnight stay the staff we met (Juan, Marcos & Benjamin I think) made my wife & I feel really welcome. The set up of the hotel is really quirky but in a good way, unusual but wonderful, set in Marbella old town. A little tip tho, if you are arriving at the bus station, get a taxi from there!

1  Thank Girojim
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed only for one night but a beautiful hotel and great service. The room was very well maintained. Breakfast was delicious and the rooftop was amazing. 5 star service. The staff was helpful and gave us excellent suggestions.

• Stayed: October 2012