“At last a real review”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Marbella
wales
“At last a real review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

I note , at last ,someone has given a true review of this Hotel ,I wanted to do it but I didnt want to burst that bubble that Marcus is in,
Westayed there in Sept. and we were influenced by his ratings on Tripadvisor .
Our first shock was the fact that we had to park the car in the municipal car park because it is impossible to find a parking space near the the Hotel , that cost 15 euros a day,we moved it to a street bay at midnight
A man met us at the car park and carried our cases to the Hotel , glad we didnt have to do it .it was a long walk !
When we got to the hotel I was a little surprised how small the place was ,inside we found it very cramped ,and this goes for the rooms as well , Our next surprise was the trip to the Roof Terrace you have to climb a steel spiral stair case , where Brakfast is served, Dont expect a hot breakfast ,its bread [nice] and cereals ,hope it doesnt rain or get windy you are under a canopy ,but you do get free internet !!
Im sorry Marcus , but you are not giving good value for the price you charge,, We have stayed in many hotels in Spain and you are giving the worst value ,Obviously we will not return.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cramped
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank jessywales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed at LVM from 29 Sept - 2 Oct 2007 after reading about the reviews of this lovely chic place, and stayed in the compact but tastefully decorated Jaipur room, which had with lots of light in both the lovely Eastern-themed bathroom and bedroom.

And what a pleasant surprise we got - in that not only did the hotel live up to our expectations of being a wonderfully cosy and beautiful "home", the warm hospitality from not just Marcos but the rest of the staff there including Shane and Emily was simply first class.

Breakfast was astonishingly filling (with freshly squeezed juices, fruit, yoghurts, cereals, ham, and HUGE pieces of bread and crossiants!) which you could vary every day. The roof terrace on which breakfast was served (till 1pm even for those sleepy bugs amongst us!) was gorgeous, and such a relaxing place to chat and take in the sight of the rooftops of the small houses in the old town against the mountains.

Also, the staff were brilliant to recommend good restaurants and places to visit, and great fun to have a natter about life, travel and the rest of the world!

We had organised to spend a week in Marbella, but owing to rather late organisation of the trip, we could only secure the first 3 nights with La Villa, and the next 3 nights at another hotel - a 5* resort called Rio Real (further away from the main town & beaches).

If it's anything to go by, the service and hospitality we received at LVM simply surpassed those that we experienced at Rio Real. There were so many errors made, problems and frustrations experienced during our stay at Rio Real (supposedly a 5* hotel and even one of the members of the so-called "small luxury hotels in the world") that we kept on yearning to be back in LVM!

In fact, we were back at LVM's doorstep during our last 2 days of our stay to ask them about more recommendations. They even kindly offered to let us leave our bags with them on the last day, even though we had officially "checked out" 3 days before!

I wholeheartedly recommend a stay at La Villa - for us, it was not "just a B&B", but a truly special experience in itself.

• Liked — Everything, esp Marcos & co
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank visitors_from_london
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed at this remarkable, quiet place from Sept. 15th to 27th, 2007 after we read the comments here in Tripadvisor. Let me say everything written there is true.
While our room Yangon was quite small, the bathroom had a spacious shower and daylight. The room itself was beautifully decorated, what sets it completely apart from other rooms in different hotels. When not on one of our many excursions, we spent our hotel time on the beautiful roof terrace, talking with the other international guests, internetting or just enjoying the great service of the hotel crew or the beautiful view.
Marcos and his crew went the rare extra mile to make our stay as pleasing as we could have wished for.
Highly recommended to everyone not needing the atmosphere of big international hotels, but a perfect relaxed scene with great service close to the city center.
Thanks a lot, Marcos!
Larissa&Hubertus Wengler
Hamburg, Germany

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank 1rpy
Not important
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2007

First Villa Marbella is by its own definition "(luxury) bed and breakfast" and just from this fact is over priced. Also, when I saw score on Trip advisor (5 of 5 ?!?!) I was really schocked!

Sorry, but I did not like it (talking about part of the hotel placed in the old town of Marbella). The rooms look very charming at first when you arrive but once you pack your things out you will realise that they are too small and you will have to jump over your sutcases all the time.

Breakfast is very, very, very borring and is the same every day. So, if you are staying for more than 3-4 days you will really have a problem.

There is also problem with maintenance: sewage water not running out from the shower and there are other small things as well.

The owner Marcos is very pleasant with his guests and trying to make very close connection with them giving to all of them impression that they are the most important ones. There is nothing exactly wrong with that, but thinking about it I concluded that many people on forums like Trip advisor are not telling their negative experiences but only positive ones tryng somehow to "pay back" & help their buddy Marcos. Consenquence is that some of the travellers trusting to Trip advisor will be missguided with score 5 of 5. The other possibilty to write such a good comments about this "hotel" you probably have to be a couple on honeymoon that does not pay to much attention on things around them anyway.

Sorry again Marcos, but never again Villa Marbella. There are many nice hotels that offer much more for same price or even less...

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank marine_nauticus
MANAGERLAVILLA, Owner at La Villa Marbella, responded to this review, October 16, 2007
Dear Guest ,

Until yesterday , and since our opening , 3446 people have already stayed at La Villa Marbella. I am always grateful for the people recognizing our work , and of course , have been always ready and I am ready to accept our failures and mistakes. I always thought that some eventual failure would come for a technical and functioning problem.

On your review you quote 3 technical problems :

Breakfast - They are a la carte and guests are free to change their choices every single day.
It is a pity that you have not requested to change it.

Maintenance : Like any public place , we do face time to time , technical problems. I am sure that your shower drainage was slow and
I am sure that the problem was solved during your stay. Our policy is to fix any technical problem within 1 hour. And if you did a complaint , I am sure the problem was solved.

Rooms - We are located in a house dated from 1851.The physical aspect of the old town gives us a special feel of coziness but definitely we are not a Las Vegas Strip Hotel. Our rooms are accordingly to the physical aspect of this magic area , but they are fitted with the most luxurious equipment as CD player , DVD , Air con , Telephone , Wifi , TV Satellite , Safe , bathrobes , hair dryer etc.. All our beds are fitted to allow luggages to be stored bellow the beds. I do not see a reason to walk , as you said , over it.

Again..We do not sell quantity...we sell quality.

But , what shocks me is that EVER I would expect a review that would go against my person instead of the Hotel as a whole. You are absolutely right when you quote the fact that I treat my guests as the "most important ones" . How should I treat them ? Indeed they are the most important ones to me , and although you did a total anonymous review
( not even quoting the place you come from ) , I am absolutely convinced that I have treated you as a important guest as well. I am all the time asking my guests if they are happy..
For me as a professional " failure is not an
option ".. And nobody in september ever said or quoted to me any disappointment , boring breakfast or sewage issue.

You are free to place any of your ideas , but
with all the respect , allow me to tell you that your anonymous review is mean and malicious and under any circumstances , it will remove my motivation to continue my focus to make my guests happy and make sure they enjoy the most our place and the old town.

I have been doing this job for 21 years , I am a professional and truly do not need paybacks.
In my consideration my guests are beyond to be called buddies. I love my job and believe me that I have enjoyed very much every minute of each one of the 3446 guests that have stayed with us , including you.

Honneymooners are the most sensitive guests with the highest spectations , and trust me , they pay lots of attention to detail.

I believe that the 133 guests that have been generous enough to place us as the Hotel number 1 in Spain and number 3 in Europe , did not make their reviews to payback their buddy but simply express their enjoyment.

This very same enjoyement that I have towards my guests , and for sure , no doubts , the same I have showed personally to you during your stay.

Sincerely yours
Marcos Torres
Hotel La Villa Marbella
Spain

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2007

There are a few times in everyone's life where you stop for a second to ponder just how wonderful things are at that very moment - our Honeymoon in Marbella and specifically in La Villa Marbella in early October was one such time.

Knowing very little with respect to Spain, Marbella, or Spanish for that matter - we were very anxious upon setting out for our trip from the US. Marcos and his staff calmed any of those feelings from the moment he replied to our emails leading up to the trip. A truly unique individual - Marcos has created an experience with his hotel and staff that is truly remarkable. From day one they were our Travel Guides (definitely go to Rhonda as Marcos will recommend), Zagat review (for the many restaurants), 24 hour helpline (Marcos gives you his person al cell phone number to be called "at any time for help"), Caretakers, and Friends. All of the staff speak multiple languages (including perfect English) and are constantly smiling, engaging, and eager to fulfill our every request (and it is all genuine). Anything we needed including wine, food, beach towels, umbrellas, bathrobes, etc. - it was all there for us (with no extra charges as we have come to expect from large hotel chains).

The rooms are very clean, small - but large and efficient enough for a weeks stay for us, and very well appointed. The views from the roofdeck are amazing, breakfast every morning is a delight (fresh fruit, juices, croissants, coffee), the town is spectacular, weather was perfect, and the food is even better.

Tears were shed when we had to leave - we felt as if we were leaving friends and a place/home that we had grown very accustomed to. If ever possible we would go back in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brock_PA
Brookfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

This was our first trip to Spain. We chose La Villa Marbella based on the TripAdvisor ratings and everyone could not be more right. Marcos and Shane and the entire staff made our trip absolutely incredible. Some advice -- the restaurants and places to see that they recommend are spot-on. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I am especially looking forward to the new property they bought that is going to be turned into a Spa.

• Liked — The themed rooms, and the staff
  • Disliked — There was not one thing we did not like
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Battlez
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

This Boutique hotel rivals my favourite Hotel the Grosvenor house in Dubai for service it is quite literally that good. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the maid service excellent and the location perfect.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough, Marcos the owner and his staff do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable.
I think some other contributors have already said that you should throw away your guide books and take Marcos's recommendation and I would whole heartedly agree, Marcos will guide you to local restaurants where the food is home cooked and delicious (without having to pay the tourist prices) and also recommend the best beaches to go to.
In short I will be recommending this hotel to my Friends and Family.

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing tio dislike
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family