“lovely summer break but a few 'buts'”

Melia Marbella Banus
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the Melia Banus for 11 nights in August, we ended up in The Level rooms as we did book them at quite short notice but this ended up being ideal for our needs whilst at the hotel and the staff in the level were always pleasant and made a point of talking to you about your day or where you maybe going in the evening. We made full use of the soft drinks provided in the day, the fridges were always full, had a 'cheeky' few glasses of Cava on our way in from the pool and then a nice Gin & Tonic on our way our for our evening meal. The 'snacks; provided were lovely especially the lunch, fresh sandwiches, cheese & smoked salmon, lovely cakes to finish off with.

As The Level rooms tend to be on the top floor (apart from the garden rooms of course) and it is adults only you don't get the noise of people returning home in an evening but i do have to agree that the maids are a nuisance, they start banging and clattering as early as 730 am, scraping furniture in rooms where people maybe early risers, it was impossible to stay in the room later than 900 / 930 am as they were knocking on the door to come and sort the rooms out - we are on our holidays remember so a bit of a rest would be nice !! I wouldn't book a level garden room as everyone walks past them, absolutely no privacy at all.

Adults only pool is lovely and very peaceful but not one parasol in sight so if you want to lay in the sun all day then these are great but if you want some shade and the peace of this pool then forget it. We had to spend everyday at the family pool which is all very nice but full of children and as mine are 13 & 23 I am past the noise of screaming, complaining children - again no sun parasols but lots of trees that you can shade under and have some sun / some shade - ideal, come on Melia Banus invest in some sun parasols for the adults area please we don't all like to lie and burn in the day, some of us want to protect our skin !!

Ideal position for walking into Banus and you do not have to cross the car park if you exit the hotel at the back by the waterfall pool, lovely restaurants in Banus but this is our 4th visit so know where to try and where to avoid.

Although i enjoyed the hotel I would personally go back to the Melia Don Pepe which is closer to Marbella but a much superior hotel which is where we stayed last year and thoroughly enjoyed what the hotel had to offer (and the sun parasols)

Room Tip: If you can afford it book the Level Sea View rooms, it is a side view but still out of the way, the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue2637
JuanBr, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Sue,

We really appreciate your comments about your experience in The Level with us last August. Thank you so much for sharing them with other possible customers.

For us, it is very important to know our guest’s opinion because we learn from you and our mission is to keep improving day by day. Do not hesitate we will take your suggestion about the parasols.

Besides, if you finally decide to make a reservation with us again, it would be a pleasure meeting you personally.

Warm regards,

GEX-RRHH Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The location, food, service and staff are excellent. The hotel manager was always around and although we didn't speak with him, his presence was indicative of the care and attention with which the hotel is run. We went in August and were delighted. I can recommend The Level in particular. Marta the Receptionist was very attentive and efficient as were all of the staff and there was a pleasant atmosphere always. Some evenings there was entertainment in the bar area which was also high standard. Excellent - can't say more than that !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear valued guest,

We are so pleasant to read your positive comments about your last stay with us.

Our flag is to provide a relaxing and enjoyable experience to all our guests and we are happy to know that you were not an exception.

Besides, we really appreciate your feedback and your recommendation about The Level because it is a new area. Your satisfaction lets us know that we are working in a correct way.

Thank you for taking your time leaving a review!

GEX-HHRR

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Amazing Hotel and Staff, all very friendly and courteous, with a smile all the time.

The breakfast area next to the pool is relaxing in the morning, and the swimming pool with the waterfalls is so beautiful to lounge beside it and swim as well.

the room is spacious and had two double bed with a balcony with nice views all around.

the beach is about a minute to two walking from garden door of the hotel around the swimming pool, and there are plenty of water sport activities immediately when you arrive to the beach next to the hotel.

Room Tip: dine in puerto banus, but also dine in marbella at the old town, in the evening it's just amazin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mazen A
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time leaving your review.
We are glad to know that you had a grateful experience with us and we could fill your expectations.
Comments about our staff attitude like yours, are what motivate us to make our best.

We really appreciate your positive feedback and we hope to see you soon in a very near future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Ideally positioned for walking into Puerto Banus. Have been a regular for the last 5 years. Great hotel with excellent service. Lovely grounds ideal for sunbathing and relaxation.Only complaint is the temperature of the swimming pool - cold||

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart Ansher
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear valued guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us again.
It is a pleasure for all the staff to know that guests are so comfortable with us that they decide to come back.

Also, I want to thank you for taking your time leaving such a kind review.

If you visit us again in the future, I would be delighted to meet you personally.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 24, 2013

For a great destination in Marbella, I recommend Melia Marbella Banus for a great time and excellent service, the atmosphere is very friendly and several activities are available for all family members. In a nutshell, you feel at home relaxed and enjoying your time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hilal E
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear valued guest,

I am glad to read that you spent some amazing days with us. We, as employees, feel really pleasant when we receive that kind of feedback.

Thank you for your comments and on behalf of all the hotel staff, we wish you a happy summer.

We hope to see you in the future if you visit Marbella again.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went there, my husband and I for our spring holidays for 5 nights. We took a standard room.

The good points are numerous: the good location (5 minutes walk from the marina and its restaurants), the equipments (two outdoor swimming-pools + 1 for kids- one of the pools have a nice waterfall - and one indoor swimming-pool, a hammam - didn't try, the place looking a little gloomy - one or two tennis courts - I can't remember - and two "padel" courts - I discovered this sport there and I loved it!!!)...There's no real spa: you can get massages from a person who depends on another company but who comes to the hotel for massages on appointment: she was very nice and did a good job on my sunburnt skin!
The location: as I said, excellent. Yet, in May, there's not a lot of people around there and, actually, before arriving to the beach front walking path, you have to cross a very gloomy desert car park.
Many people complained about the fact their GPS couldn't find the place. It was the same for mine and, as we arrived at Malaga airport at 10:30 pm, it was very difficult to find anybody to help us once in Marbella. So, now that I know, I can tell you: you enter "arroya de la medina" on your GPS and you'll get right to the hotel car park (not very well lit, by the bye).
The rooms: they are quite big and clean. Mattress is fine. I didn't really like the furniture, but it was still good. What rather annoyed me was the fact you can't have a big bed (matrimonial, if you prefer), except in the suites, I think. Instead, you've got 2 quite big beds (you can be two people in one, even if it's not too large), which is good for some people, I think...I'll talk about that later.
The breakfast: good, varied with many different things but the place (quite ordinary, in itself) is quite overcrowded sometimes.
The staff: helpful even if not very smiling (apart from a very funny man at the reception desk who used to tease me kindly on the fact I lost one or two balls at padel! He did smile a lot!).

Let's get to the great bad point for me: the noise!!! The place is not very sound proof, the long big corridors don't help, neither do the cleaning ladies or the customers!
Let me explain: first night: ok; second night was dreadful: at about 4 in the morning, people came back, sounding drunk, they shouted, banged doors, ran...etc. After 30 minutes like that, I had to call the reception to tell about it. They sent a security guard to make it stop. Yet, my night was nearly over: the time I could sleep again, I was awoken by the cleaning ladies this time. They start cleaning at eight and do not bother for your sleep: they speak very loudly, they bang doors as well...etc.
So, one night out of 5? nothing, you would say! No, unfortenately not! Third night: ok. Fourth night: at 1 o'clock am our new neighbours arrived: four young (very young) British girls in the room next door!!! Waou! I can tell you they were very happy to be all in the same bedroom (remember my remark on the bed thing?): giggling, shouting, banging their wardrobe doors...etc. We had to wait one hour and a half to get silence again! On fifth night, we went to pay at the reception desk and told them about it. They apoligized and said they would get an eye on that. True, at 4 that night, when our new neighbours got back, quite drunk and shouting, they stopped after 10 minutes only, thanks to the security guard's intervention...Enough to be up again, yet...Pfff
Note: we complained twice of noise at reception. Yet, they never proposed us to change of room!
there was a lot of very young people among the customers and a few families.

Room Tip: maybe the Level ones are better?
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank isabrit05
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review we greatly appreciate your comments.

I am pleased that you liked the location, our rooms and breakfast and I am delighted to hear my team was helpful.

I am very sorry to hear that you had trouble to sleep and I would like to apologise for the inconveniences caused.

Once again thank you for your feedback which I passed to all the team. I do hope you will give us the opportunity of looking after you again on a future visit to Marbella and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for a week. We felt it was fantastic value for money. Our room was spacious, with 2 beds, huge marble bathroom, nice and airy, nice view over one of the pools. There are lovely, fragrant, tropical gardens, 2 pool areas, our favourite one the freeform shape one with a bridge over it, very cute, and lots of swaying palm trees. It is just a walk across the road to the beach, and about a 5-7 minute stroll down along an easy walk to the main part of Puerto Banus, and the shops etc. The restaurant is fabulous, we had breakfast included in our package and there was such a good selection that we didn't even need lunch most days :-)

The only thing I could suggest could be improved would be the reception staff - as another reviewer has commented, they are a bit "indifferent".

I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor and overlooked the pool which adjoined the restaurant complex where br...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tiger_Jockey
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear valued guest,

It is a proud for us to receive such a positive feedback! Because of them we feel our work let people experience an amazing stay in the hotel while they are relaxed.

I have already shared your comments with all the departments involved.

Besides, I want to apologise for your impression with the reception staff. Your comments help us to keep improving.

I wish to meet you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,