“Fire Alarm not taken seriously by staff who just didn't give a damn!”

Melia Marbella Banus
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. In a nutshell, the main problem with this hotel is the staff. The facilities in general were ok but the staff don't give a damn about their guests and if they continue to behave this way, they won't have jobs to go to, in a country where I believe unemployment is at a record high. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we found the reception staff didn't greet nor say goodbye to us nor ask how our stay was. We asked to store our luggage and we were left to find a room behind the reception on our own, unmanned and not locked. Pool staff were rude and often missing, breakfast staff were only interested in getting you cold tea or coffee, often before you even had a chance to sit down or peruse the buffet (buffet was actually quite good). I have to interject at this point and mention the lady on omelettes was always pleasant but she could do with two pans for omelettes to speed up her service. On our last night at around 6am the fire alarm went off continuously so we left via the stairwell next to the elevator nearest our room. Half way down from the 5th floor, the stairs went into complete darkness. The emergency lights didn't work. We made our way to reception alongside many families with children and found it unmanned. A lot of guests were there, waiting to find out if there was in fact a fire but no staff were there to inform us. A man emerged from the office but quickly disappeared again inside the door. Eventually a security man arrived to say it was a hoax. When I was checking out at 9am, I asked to speak to a manager to tell them re the stairwell with no emergency lighting. I was told there was no one available to speak to me so I told the lady on reception who very rudely told me I shouldn't have used that stairs (why not? it was next to elevator with its door open!!!). There was no apology or satisfactory explanation. There are a lot of better hotels in Puerto Banus where the staff value your custom and your safety.

8  Thank SusieD5270
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear valued guest
We really appreciate your feedback and we are sorry that you had some disappointing comments to leave.
About the fire alarm, it was fortunately caused by a guest who accidentally activated it, so it was not our intention.
Besides, I want to apologise if the staff attitude made you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. I can ensure that it was an exception due to our main aim is our guest’s satisfaction and we all work hard in order to provide a good service.
I hope you could give us a second chance if you visit Marbella again and I would like to meet you personally to check you have a better stay.
Yours sincerely,

Juan Broncano
GEX/HHRR Manager

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a hen weekend in Puerto Banus and it turned out to be a really good location - about a 5/10 minute walk into the centre along the sea front, which took you away from the hustle and bustle. The hotel itself is lovely - very modern and the facilities such as the pools and outside bar give it a really good ambiance. The bedrooms were clean and spacious including the bathroom and balcony area. Overall the hotel was fantastic and value for money, as a number of us shared bedrooms.

The only downside was the service, particularly the man at reception on our arrival; he was rude and did not make us feel welcome at all.

2  Thank Saffie1986

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking your time sharing with other possible guests your last experience with us. We are absolutely pleasant to read that you could spend some amazing days at the hotel.

Our goal is that our guests feel as they were at home, trying to be suitable to all tastes and needs. Reading that you were not an exception is what motivate us to keep improving.
We hope to see you back in the future.

Warm regards,

Juan Broncano
GEXHHRR Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Met by charmless staff late on a Thursday night had no record of my booking ( booked through Booking.com) ,showed them the booking sheet and a direct confirmation e-mail , showing room rate and the inclusion of breakfast . Despite the evidence staff would not accept breakfast was included because it wasn't in their system !It was a 3 day stay , was asked to sign a bill on 3 mornings for breakfast ! Spoke to Duty Manager on the Saturday afterI had received a bill with a higher room rate than the documentation , very unhelpful . It was finally accepted that I had been overcharged but on checking out they asked could they process the refund the following day (they charged my credit card on day one) , that is when I was back in the UK . I refused and after a big fuss they gave me cash .
The hotel management are only interested in revenue generation and have no interest in customer service , sharp practice seems to be their game . No apology or acknowledgement was received , shocking ! Go elsewhere , plenty to chose from !

10  Thank MerlinRugby
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear MerlinRugby,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay in Tripadvisor.

We do apologize for your inconvenience with the booking. We are really concerned that we did not achieve your expectations, we try to cover as much as possible during your stay. We truly consider all your comments in order to keep on improving our service.

Regarding the management’s comments, I can only say that I deeply regret that you left the fair with this impression. I would ask you to please accept apologies if you had felt that the treatment you received was below the standards. For us, guests are the most important resource and we try to make them feel a good experience in our hotel, that's why I am very sorry for the inconvenience happened in your last stay with us.

We will be delighted if you give us another opportunity to serve you again and exceed your expectations. Do not hesitate we will offer you a great experience in Marbella.

We are waiting for your next stay, if so let it me know to meet you personally at arrival.

Kind regards,

Juan Ignacio Broncano
GEX Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in a moron on the level floor. It was large; however a bit random in that there was 2 double beds within it which I was confused by. The room itself is nice, bathroom I would say is a little bit tired. You have a pillow menu, which is perfect for me as I need to sleep really flat. On the
first night of our stay a fresh fruit platter and bottle of cava was delivered and your room is turned down and chocolates left. Breakfast was very good, with a huge choice and if you want the full cooked breakfast type affair the bacon looked more like what you get here in Britain which seemed to please folk. If you stay on the level floor you can go into the level lounge and make use of the complimentary cava and soft drinks and snacks all day. On an evening between 6-8 they offer other drinks which are branded. This is okay and we often went in, but it is quiet and a rather sedate affair which seemed to suit the people utilising it. Pool area is lovely as we're the day time snacks and we found staff very helpful. I noted a few remarks about service staff on here particularly in regards to the breakfast waiting staff, but watching them in action they never stop and they are just very very busy so they may come across as brusque but it doesn't seem intentional to me and they were very helpful as far as we were concerned. It's a short five minute walk into Banus and we found this okay when we wanted to walk, but taxis actively wait in the hotel grounds so you always have a choice. Overall it was what I expected and as we wanted a hotel in Banus this seemed the best option, which i think in hindsight it was . Good value, clean and suited our needs.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room on the level floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vankaiser
JuanBr, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feedback on the hotel!

We’re glad to see you were pleased with your The Level experience and that you enjoyed all it has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to rave about it!

The little things are what counts to us and we try to make every moment special for all of our guests here at Meliá Marbella Banús.

We look forward to welcoming you back here at the hotel for your next holidays in Puerto Banús…

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our group of 9 mature ladies arrived for a 3 night stay only to be greeted by a charmless reception staff. This would prove to be the start of things to come. !!!! We waited for almost an hour to be served drinks and lunch only to be told by a rather dismissive and blatantly rude barman to go to the restaurant if we wanted to eat!!! Only after complaining to the duty manager TWICE did we eventually get served. The new waiter was delightful but his appearances were rare.
On one evening, we returned around 12 pm and in elated mood but not loud or rude. As we chatted in reception, the security guard told us to shush and then proceeded to print of the hotel policy on nuisance noise ie , the threat of removing us from the hotel. This was excessive to say the least but maybe the Brits abroad reputation has necessitated a zero tolerance.
That said, the breakfast and cleaning staff were warm and welcoming.
On a positive note, the proximity to the restaurants and bars is excellent and the standard of cleanliness, breakfast choices and fresh flowers everywhere softened the blow for a really woefully inadequate staff!
Pool gardens were lovely too!!!

Room Tip: 406 directly over a building so avoid
4  Thank patricia941
JuanBr, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Valued Client,

First of all I would just like to thank you for your feedback on our hotel.

I would like to apologize on behalf of my staff for the curtness on their end. I’m sorry that you felt like they were rude and that the service wasn’t urgent enough, it’s truly unacceptable and we will absolutely have a meeting on the subject.

On the other hand, we’re always happy to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetics of the hotel along with the breakfast services and the cleanliness. If you would ever re consider coming back to see us again, I would like to greet you personally upon arrival and assure you that we would exceed you expectations.

Juan Ignacio Broncano,
GEX and Human Resources manager

Reviewed May 14, 2013

we travelled to puerto banus for a girlie weekend with friends and family, having chosen our hotel very carefully, we were looking for comfort and relaxation, with a touch of elegance. the hotel is around 50 mins drive from Malaga airport. It is situated within a stones throw from the beach., And a 15 minute walk to the harbour.On entering the hotel the ambience was very pleasing on the eye. However, the Reception staff were not ready for our party, even though we had booked almost a year in advance. The paper work & organisations of the Rooms was very slow, & laborious we also found the male receptionists to be quite aloof, and not welcoming.
However our rooms were of a very good standard, spacious and very well equipped. We did feel that a basic kettle would have been a welcome addition to the room. the communal areas are very relaxing with large comfortable sofas, and outside there are numerous tables & chairs, sun loungers where mattresses and towels are supplied from 10am.
We found the dining room for breakfast to be excellent, a great range of all manner of food to suit every taste. Some of the staff lack a little warmth and enthusiasm, but this didn't spoil our experience. The gardens are great to relax in there are two pools, spa area with sauna and steam room. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel

Room Tip: The fifth floor rooms have good views over the pool or side view of the sea
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alynthompson

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your stay in the hotel!

I’m glad to know that you enjoyed your rooms during your stay and that the location of the hotel was up to your standards.However, I apologize for your delay to get the room at check in. Organization is crucial and something we put a lot of emphasis on and I will make sure the staff hears these comments.

Again, thank you for your input on the improvable aspects of the hotel and we hope to welcome you back with your next visit to Puerto Banús/Marbella!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Melia Banus and must say was pleasantly surprised. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Staff were pleasant and helpful and the hotel and our room was of a high standard. Breakfast was included and provided a range of items. Great pool area and great location away from the crowds of Puerto Banus, but still within walking distance. 5mins from the beach and restaurants and 10mins from the marina. The only downfall was the room that we were given had two double beds and they couldn't change our room. Other then that a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your feedback from your stay with us!
We really appreciate the positive comments you’ve made about the hotel. I will definitely make sure to pass on these positive reviews to the staff and I know they´ll be thrilled. About your comment on the beds, all of our standard rooms come equipped with two queen sized beds.
We´re looking forward to hosting your next vacation in Puerto Banús!