“A nice holiday”

Melia Marbella Banus
Ranked #15 of 69 Hotels in Marbella
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with my sister in the beginning of April. Since the first arrival we were very pleasantly suprised by the service and the hotel after reading some of the negative comments here. The hotel was very clean and nice, and the rooms were just the right size with enough storage and a nice balcony, which we had facing the pool area. The grounds were beautiful and peaceful.
Since we were a bit disappointed on Puerto Banus itself ( no restaurants serving traditional spanish food ), we decided to stay and have dinner at the hotel. Totally worth it!! I've never eaten so much in my life! Everything from the perfect steaks to the gazpacho was so good and good quality. Also the breakfast is excellent.
But, the major disappointment for us was that the water in the pools was almost freezing cold. It was so cold that it was almost impossible to sit at the edge of the pool with feet in the water. The weather was already very warm in the beginning of april, so we were just sweating by the pool and wishing we could have been able to go for a swim. The pools were totally empty all day for this reason and it felt like they were just there so that the grounds would look good. I really think that in a four star hotel it should not be like this.
Otherwise beautiful hotel, good staff and excellent food.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sara S
Fernando Preto R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2016

Dear Sara S ,

Thank you very much for sending your opinion in 2012.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again very soon at Meliá Marbella Banús Hotel and let you enjoy the new changes experienced by our structure since.

Guest Experience Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Having spent a week at this hotel on a half board basis from 20 May 2012 with my partner and parents, I only have positive things to say. The indoor area, outside area, rooms and restaurants are all spotlessly clean. Our only negative comment would be if dinner could be served from 7.00pm until 10.00pm rather than 8.00pm until 10.00pm. The buffet breakfast and evening meal had something for everyone. The show cooking of meat and fish was superb. The sea bass and salmon was delicious. The rooms are large and airy with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, together with plenty of clothes hangers. The safe works with your credit card (at no extra charge) and is very easy to use. We were provided with fresh towels twice a day without even asking. The chambermaids do an excellent job. We were on the ground floor in rooms 137 and 139 which overlooked the gardens. These rooms are family rooms which have 2 double beds. There is also a large plasma flat screen tv, mini-fridge, hairdryer, etc. We had a wonderful time at this hotel and would not hesitate in recommending it. It was easy to access the promenade to stroll into Puerto Banus via an exit near the swimming pool. It takes about 10 minutes at a slow pace. Puerto Banus itself is amazing with lovely bars, restaurants and of course the yachts! We did a day trip to Gibraltar via coach (booked at the hotel) which is well worth a visit. You get 4 hours in Gibraltar once there. Marbella and Estepona and lovely places to visit too.

Room Tip: May be request a room overlooking the pool as these tend to get more sun.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mellonie

Dear Mellonie,

Reviewed May 31, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for seven nights from 18/05/2012 and thought we had landed in paradise food excellant,location great grounds brill will definately return with my husband .Only one small point a few staff looked a bit glum and not helpfull but to be fair they were a bit short staffed at times but the very pleasant girl at the bar most nights more than compensated for this cant wait to return .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lindar44

Dear Lindar44,

Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, and we never go back to the same place twice. The hotel garden is superb and the best feature is the non-regimentation of the sunbeds, they are scattered throughout the grounds with no ugly umbrellas. If you want shade you move under a tree. There are 2 outdoor pools, one free-form with a waterfall and a double rectangular one which is adults only. There is also a very warm indoor pool and a small children's pool. The hotel is situated at the end of the Banus promenade, about 10min walk to the harbour, shops and restaurants. The rooms are excellent, large and well furnished. There is a very good buffet breakfast available until 11.00am.The staff were friendly and helpful. The only downsides are the lack of fluffy bath robes and that the TV has only one British channel being the useless BBC World News. If you like afternoon sunshine do not book a sea view. If you arrive by hire car you need to study the hotel position-first if you are on the AP7 from Malaga it changes to free motorway A7 passing behind Marbella and then splits AP7 and A7, you must take the A7 or you will pass Banus- as you approach Banus take the first exit and go under the motorway back towards Marbella and exit the sliproad down to the hotel.

Room Tip: garden view rooms get afternoon sun and there is more going on in the gardens than a plain sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank briangBaildon
Juan Ignacio B, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are so glad when a Client repeats with us. So, it makes us feel great, and it is fantastic to know that you never go back to the same place twice.

Please, receive our warm thank you for the positive comments that you have dedicated us. We are very proud for reading comments as yours.

Concerning British channels, I would like to inform you that we are doing year by year some investments, and new channels are included on our future improvements.

Please, do not forget to inform me about your next visit because I would like to greet you personally.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

I spent four nights here on 10th May 2012 and loved the hotel. The rooms are spacious clean and modern. The breakfast was nice and the poolside and gardens tidy and mainly peaceful. The location is really good. Just out the back gate and your on the beach and a five minute walk along the prom takes your to the port. All the staff were pleasant especially the cleaning staff however:
On checking out I had brought the beach towels down to reception as the previous evening the pool attendant wasn't there to hand them back to and give me the cards back for them. The reason I brought them to reception was to show I hadn't stole them. Well once I paid the bill to this snotty little man I gave him the towels. He told me I had to take them back to the pool area as it was not POSSIBLE for him to do so. I pointed out my taxi was waiting. He rudely to me to take them away. I could not believe this and as he caught me by surprise I took them to the nearest table in reception and put them on there instead of throwing them in his face. There was also a bell boy standing in reception who could have took them. I have emailed the hotel but no surprise to me that they have not replied thus I'm airing my views on here.
To sum up then. Great hotel in great location spoiled by one obnoxious man on reception.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank bennas123

Dear bennas123,

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Went here v late april early may. Very nice gardens and pool area. All hotel was spotless and food was very very nice. Only bout a ten minute walk from the very posh porto banus marina. It did start to get a bit more lively as we were leaving. Stag,hen partys I think! . Overall would recommend this hotel for couples generally. Not much for kids really apart from small pool and tiny play area.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank shanechester
Juan Ignacio B, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very glad because you enjoyed your holidays in our Hotel and I would like to thank you for sharing us your experience.

Regarding your comment about getting a bit more lively, Meliá Marbella Banús is the definitive hotel to see and be seen. Along the Golden Mile and the Leisure Marina of Puerto Banús you can find the most exclusive and sophisticated area as this is the hot spot and meeting point along the Costa del Sol for the rich and famous.

I would like to invite you to visit us on many more occasions and enjoy our facilities.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as part of a business trip last week. Very nice hotel, big gardens and pool area and generally very nice.
My problem began when walking home from the port with a collaegue in the early hours of Friday morning only to be attacked by 3 masked men ! This was as we approached the rear entrance of the hotel which you can use until 12am. After sustained some pretty serious cuts to my head and face we managed to get to the front of the hotel to which the night staff where absolutely useless. Offering no help to call or notify the police, only advising to get a taxi to hospital !
Asking to speak to the manager the next day, I found out another guest had also been attacked an hour before, again the hotel night staff didn't notify the local police that street robbers were in the area !
Perhaps I was expecting too much of a 4 star hotel to report these incidents as a duty of care to their other guests !
This may well have been a wrong place, wrong time incident, but I was disgusted with the support that this hotel offered at the time.
Having been to Banus on both business and leisure many times, this is the first time I have encountered or seen any issues.
This hotel is placed 10 mins walk from the port, so taking a stroll into the port during the day or early evening is quite nice, but if you are returning after dark, for the sake of 5 eursos get a taxi !

Stayed: April 2012
12  Thank Subsambrook
Juan Ignacio B, Juan Ignacio Broncano Guest Experience Manager en Melia Marbella Banús at Melia Marbella Banus, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry for not achieving your expectations. We work very hard because we aim to delight you a fully enjoyable stay. However, in your case, we did not do all that we have to do,
for this reason, please, receive our sincere apologies.

On the other hand, I would like to mention and confirm that the events that you describe are absolutely untypical and they have surprised us enormously.

I would also like to thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to send us your comments.

I am at your entire disposal.

Yours sincerely,