“relaxing holiday”

Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Marbella
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“relaxing holiday”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I travelled last min. to this hotel BlueBay, Banus, Marbella. I was on my own for this holiday. I had read some review after my brother had booked this as a birthday gift for me and didn't know what to expect as some of the reviews weren't very good. I got room 208 which was a nice double room and just outside the door was the small pool area which was where I sat and relaxed listening to my music. People complained about the towels, there was a couple of days where the towels were a bit old but clean, but most days I got lovely thick fluffy ones. The food I could not fault, and I am not a fussy eater. I had breakfast and dinner every day of my stay, both were buffet and you could eat as much as you liked, with a good choice and something for everyone. If you were having a glass of wine with your dinner it is only 3 euros a cola or water 2 euros. If you want to go to the beach you have a ten min. walk and 15 mins. takes you into Puerto Banus. In Puerto Banus you can pay silly money for everything so watch where you decide to stop off. I spoke to people in the hotel who in Puerto had paid £11 for a pint although the hotel was about the same price as home. They do put on entertainment but it wasn't up to much. If you come out of the front of the hotel and walk to the left for 10 mins. I found a supermarket which you can get all your water, drinks and snacks at fair prices. My room had a little fridge in it which was great for keeping your drinks cool. The staff do not speak very good English and I did try to find out how I could get to Gibralter for the day but was given the wrong information when I tried to do this trip. I found on the second last day that just out of the hotel turn left and head past Golf us and the tennis courts turn first left and there is a small area with about 6 different little bars and places to eat which were all good value for money. I also then found a little newsagent which arranged day trips and I could have got to Gibralter from there for £15 but the hotel staff could not tell me this. You could also book other day trips at good prices from this same place. I would go back to this hotel it's not built up and is very typically Spanish which I liked. Hope this helps you decide.

Room Tip: I had room 208 which was a good clean double next to the dining area and small pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank PaisleyBuddy1963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Bluebay Banus on my visit to Marbella and the only good thing i have to say really about the hotel is that it has a very good location and nice swimming pools. It seems like an overall good place to take your family but the hotel itself seems to be deteriorating at a very fast pace. The hotel room our first night had not only the air conditioning not working but also had a broken fan. We were upgraded the next day to a room with only a working fan but not the air conditioning as it seemed to be a problem with the entire hotel. The quality does not meet the requirements of a 4-star hotel but it is an average place to sleep and then spend the day close by in puerto banus.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Marbella hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

brilliant hotel value for money. Stayed here from the23rdjune till 30th june. the staff were very good couldnt do enough to please the customer.The rooms were very airy and bright.The food in the restarunt was good could always find something that we liked.The grounds and surroinding areas were kept in excellent condition spotless clean. i would definitly recommend it to familys or couples alike .Will be back for sure.

Room Tip: the rooms with balcony are worth the extra
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ballymena
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Have just returned from 5 nights in this hotel. we went here for a relaxing few days and some sunshine. My daughter and I both really enjoyed it - thought the setting was beautiful with well kept gardens and two good pools (we both used these a lot). I heard some people complaining about the food but we enjoyed the meals - H/B - perhaps not as good as some other 4star places we have stayed but certainly enough and of good quality. the room was good but would have liked tea/coffee making in the room- first 4star I have been to that did not provide this! Be sure to have some cash when paying for drinks at mealtimes - they dont take credit cards or you have to set up an account in reception if you want to charge it to your room - was easy just to pay the cash each night! would agree with Barmy69 that the room towels are very poor quality - clean but ragged! did see people with better towels maids trollys containing much better quality towels - so someone was getting the better quality. we had asked for a room with a balcony (which we paid extra for) but I think most of the rooms have some sort of balcony - ours looked out onto a wall so it had been a bit pointless. However overall the positioning of the hotel and the lovely environment is what makes me award it a 4. I would return.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking one of the pools
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Recently stayed here with a group of friends for a hen weekend. Would recommend this hotel as it's in a good location for visiting the centre of Puerto Banus (approx 10-12euros in a taxi, reception rang taxis for us and they arrvied within 5mins). Great selection of food at breakfast and pool area was nice and clean. Would be happy to return here as part of a group or for a couples holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had visited this hotel 5 years and decided to pay a return visit in June this year.The hotel is in a good position and only a short walk from Puerto Banus.
The bedroom that we had was room 140.and although it was near the main road it is very quiet.
The room was a good size but that was the only plus point.The bathrooom for a 4 star hotel was a disgrace.The shower was a complete waste and the quality of the towels wouldn't be found in a 1 star hostal.
The restaurant food is average with the breakfasts slightly better than dinner.
The hotel grounds are beautiful and this the best part of the hotel.They are kept clean and tidy
and the pool is excellent.
The bar prices are quite high but the service is very slow and the staff keep complaining that the hotel is understaffed.
We were in Side Turkey in March and Spanish hotels really should go there to observe how to give holiday makers value for money.
If you are visiting this hotel don't go to rooms up to 180 as they really are poor.

Room Tip: Don,t accept a rooom at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Essex
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Lovely spacious room which included bedroom with large wardrobe and plenty of hangers and lots of other storage space in the way of drawers. Dressing table with large mirror, a TV (although we never watched TV the nine days were were at this hotel) and a fridge - the fridge was not working when we first arrived, so we spoke to reception who said they would send somebody to mend it - this was where it got quite amazing, because we left reception, walked up to our room on the third floor and the maintenance man was already in the room, sorting out the fridge!! Never seen such speedy service in my life - anywhere LOL!

There is air conditioning in the room, but we never used that, we just used the fan on the ceiling and that kept the room quite cool and kept the air circulating.

The bathroom had a shower and was plenty big enough. We requested a room with a balcony which we got and it was very large, it overlooked beautiful grounds that were well-maintained.

There is a quieter swimming pool towards the front of the hotel, a children's pool around the back that is adjacent to a very large 2nd swimming pool, all were very clean and there is a lifeguard on duty the whole time.

There were plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas and the whole time were were there we did not find it necessary, not even once, to stick towels on the beds to reserve them which we were pleased about as we find that one of the most annoying, irritating aspects of any holiday.

The hotel had a pool bar with an area to sit down and eat lunch or just to have a drink which was open until around 6pm, the food generally stopped serving around 4pm(ish) - it was very nicely cooked and extremely tasty.

The hotel is around 500m from the beach, but the hotel does have a beach bar where, again you can get food, this particular bar tended to stay open for food a bit later than the one at the actual hotel. The beach is directly to the back of this bar.

The restaurant at the hotel was very nice, breakfast was lovely, all was buffet style with plenty of choice from full English, Continental, cereals, fruit, yogurts, tea, coffee, fruit juice. Breakfast was from 8am to 10.30am.

We were just B&B, but there was also all-inclusive and half-board.

There was entertainment in the evenings, however, we went out every night, so I really cannot comment on how the entertainment side of things in the evenings were. There was a bar in the main entertainment area as well as outside areas.

There is a hairdressers attached to the hotel, but again I never used that facility so cannot make a judgement on what they were like. There is a very small shop next door to the hotel, but it does not really contain very much, for the nearest supermarket, you need to turn left out of the hotel,and it is approximately one mile away - the walk is along the dual carriageway (don't worry there is a pavement that goes all the way along, it is very safe) - the supermarket contains pretty much everything in the way of food, drink, toiletries etc and is very inexpensive.

The walk to Puerto Banus for the bars, restaurants and clubs is around one mile away and is easy to get to by going to the beach bar of this hotel and turning left. There are a few beach restaurants dotted along on the way, but some of these stop serving food early evening.

The maids came in everyday to clean the room and worked very hard, the bar staff by the pool were lovely and the reception staff very helpful.

The time to vacate the room at the end of the holiday is 12 noon and there is a storage room for cases next to reception, there is also a courtesy room.

The weather was superb and reached 40 degrees on two of the days were were there, seriously lovely time was had by us both.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple