“Good stay at the Bluebay Banus!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BlueBay Banus

BlueBay Banus
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Marbella
kent
“Good stay at the Bluebay Banus!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for three nights after we had travelled out to Marbella for a wedding at the end of sept 2012.

We booked back in February and got a really good deal staying bed and breakfast.
I had read some pretty awful reviews on here after id booked and to be honest i was worried about our stay in case it was awful!

But I can honestly say it was fine!
The hotel is nice-maybe a little tired but still fine all the same. The gardens are lovely and when we arrived and checked in we found the reception staff very nice and friendly.

Our room was 807 which was a bit of a walk but we were given a map and found it without any problems.
The room was clean and very big, I had booked a twin standard room and wasn't expecting much but it was in fact very nice.
We had a dressing table, sofa and coffee table plus tv, a large wardrobe and lots draw space for clothes.

The bathroom was also big and had two sinks, shower over the bath and essentials like mini toothbrush/paste, soap, shower cap, shower gel, nail file and shaving kit.

We had a lovely view from our balcony over looking a cobbled courtyard and we had very comfy wicker furniture with a glass coffee table-much nicer then the plastic chairs some hotel provide on the balcony.

The room maybe could have done with a lick of paint but it was really fine.
The air con wasn't that great but we didn't really need it on as it wasn't really hot while we were staying, there was a ceiling fan which we did use, but I'm not sure how good it would be if you were staying mid summer?!

The main restaurant was ok, lots to choose from at breakfast, cereal, fruit, toast, pastries, and bacon/eggs etc which was nice.
I didn't see any horrible looking food! All seemed fresh and restaurant was clean.

The pool was ok, some broken tiles but nothing else wrong, the sun beds where really good, nice mesh ones which are more comfy then plastic ones and there was plenty of parasols.
The sun beds where mainly on grass around the pool-personally I would've preferred it to be more tiled around the pool as the grass was soggy and a little muddy under foot-but there had been a lot of rain the during the week before we had arrived so that's probably why.

Reception staff we found were helpful, always ordered a taxi for us and were pleasant.
We didn't use the hotel bar, but we did eat at the pool bar one lunch time and its was ok, food not that exciting-chips, burgers etc but it was ok.

Our friend got married at a nearby villa on the Saturday which was beautiful!

On the Sunday eve we headed into puerto banus and had a lovely meal and a few cocktails over looking the harbour with its amazing boats, designer shops and very expensive cars!!
It wasn't overly busy anywhere but I can imagine the during the summer it is.
We found drinks fairly expensive ( 10.50€ to 21€ for cocktails! Ouch!) so if staying for longer then a weekend and planning to go out drinking lots take plenty of money!
Our main meal was around 14€ each and the cheapest bottle of wine was 18€.

We booked flights with easyjet and hotel separately so didn't have an airport transfer.
A taxi from airport to our hotel would have been very expensive (80-90€) but we got the bus (coach) to Marbella bus station (6€ each and 45 min journey) then got a taxi to the hotel from there (9€)
The bus stop is easy to find as its right in front of airport arrivals, and there's a bus every 45 mins up until midnight I think.
You just purchase the ticket from the driver and put your luggage in the hold underneath the coach.

So on the whole the hotel was fine (no cockroaches seen!!!) clean, good size rooms, ok food and nice pool etc.
Yes, I have stayed in better hotels when travelling with my husband, but for the price my friend and I paid it was great! (96€ each for three nights B&B!)

I think the some people may have much higher expectations for what they have paid for sometimes!

I would happily stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the pool or gardens and not the main road!! As there is a very main roa...
2 Thank jetsetters2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
south lanarks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I always check tripadvisor before booking a holiday and this hotel looked beautiful but had very mixed reviews at the time of booking. I decided to take a chance but the closer the holiday came the worse the reviews were getting so I was really worried by the time my partner and I arrived.
Firstly I have to say reception staff were efficient and polite, we arrived around midnight and a night watchman opened up the dining area so we could have a snack and bottle of water.
Our room was a very large double with a lovely balcony with nice padded wicker chairs and coffee table overlooking a pretty court yard, there was also a little balcony at the other side of the room overlooking the small pool. Large bathroom with shower, bath and bidet.
We were very pleased with the room, yes I'm sure it could have done with a wee touch up here and there but that would be bit picky to complain about it.
Rooms were cleaned everyday, lovely crisp white sheets think the towels were the original ones from when hotel was built so had seen better days but were changed daily.
There is two pools, one small with a wooden pergola over it, this was used for massages etc although I never saw anyone in it throughout the week. There is only a few loungers at this pool so its very peaceful except that its outside reception and diningroom.
The large pool has a small divided area for children its very nice and we found it very peaceful. All the bathing/lounging areas are on grass there are no tiled areas so can be abit damp underfoot first thing in the morning.
The main dining area was used for all meals, main lounge was only open in the evenings and pretty sedate. Pool bar served snacks at lunchtime but you had to pay for these.
There is also a beach bar five minute walk down the road, this again you have to pay for, drinks food and use of the loungers on the beach (14 euro for 2 people). We thought this was rather expensive but its even more expensive towards Puerto Banus.
Food was okay but nothing wonderful, 4 day break would be fine but we found it getting too restricting after a few days. Breakfast was cereal, yoghurt, cheese and meats as you would expect, lots of baked goods, crusty breads and always hot selection as well.
Lunch was probably our favourite meal, salads, usually some pasta dishes, meat and there was always paella. You helped yourself to wine at lunch, juice or beer in the evening the waitress would pour you a glass when you eventually caught her attention, I have to say my glass was never topped up throughout the meal.
There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, so if you fancy a trip into Marbella or can't face the walk into Banus its handy. Depending on the bus its either 1.18 or 1.23 euro into Marbella central. coming home its a bit more difficult we ended up getting back to Banus and taking a taxi to hotel which is about 7 euro. Hotel is nearer San Pedro than Banus.
If getting a bus home look for number 27 or 78. There are 2 timetables at the stops, main bus line is L1, L6 etc the timetable for the 27 and 78 tends to be on a different lamp post.
It's a beautiful area, lovely weather and some spectacular looking villas, yachts etc obviously it can make dining out or going for a wee drink bit expensive..
We had a lovely holiday but was happy we hadnt booked for 2 weeks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank destressed
Saftesbury Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We returned from there on the 2nd Oct 2012. The hotel is fabulous, very clean and the gardens are spectacular. The rooms are cleaned every day and the food is very good. The beach bar was a bit of a walk and we did not see any water sports.This bar was the only bar in any direction for at least 2 miles around the hotel and the hotel bars closed at 11.30 at night. They advertise an al a cart resturant but we never found it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
North Walsham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great place to stay, rooms very clean ,breakfast was great but a bit greasy.
are room was a good size tv fridge act cleaned very well at all times, the hotel has wifi (pay for) but does not have great range .
easy walk to town or by bus.
the port is a must ... enjoy

Room Tip: the rooms we looked at all looked cool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shaun M
DERBY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hotel location justifies all inclusive.Nothing to see for half hour walk in either direction on front.Bar service average,both bars shut 11:30pm when open.Our room 711 2nd floor was excellent but the rest of hotel facilities average.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kilmarnock, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just returned from a long weekend at this hotel (4 days / nights). Loved the layout of this place - built like a little village and all low rise buildings - and the fact that it wasn't a soulless concrete mass is a big plus. Room allocated on arrival was a bit disappointing - a good sized double but without a balcony or a terrace, and in that kind of sunny climate some private outside space is essential for me. Got a room transfer after 2 nights though (hotel fully booked out), and new room fitted the bill just fine. There are a fair few rooms at this venue without outside space, so if this is an essential for anyone else, be warned! Check your booking specifies what you will get.

All communal areas like the pools, bars and restaurant are well maintained and I found the staff to be pleasant and accommodating. We were all inclusive, and food standard and choice was absolutely fine, likewise with the drinks. The only confusing thing for me was the BlueBay Banus beach club. Not a part of the actual main complex itself, although it looks like that from pictures, and all inclusive does not extend to here which seems a bit unreasonable.

This is a peaceful place to be which fitted the bill for me (aged 41 3/4 having a wee break not a main holiday) but heard some of the younger crowd complain it was too quiet. Entertainment at hotel is a bit hit or miss, but then again, I was there toward the end of the season so maybe a different story at the peak times? Having never been to this part of Spain before, I went into Marbella for a few hours on one day, and Banus centre for a few hours on another day. Not so fussed for Marbella, but Banus is gorgeous. Public transport is cheap and easy for both, but there is barely a passing nod to the timetables so it is just your luck about whether you wait 5 minutes or 45 minutes.

I would happily return to this hotel for a short break or a week at most.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you have booked has a balcony or terrace, as there are many rooms that have neith...
2 Thank Kazdeedee
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have just arrived home from a brilliant 5 days staying at BlueBay Banus with a group of young girls. I felt the need to write a review of this hotel as I was worried before going on holiday after reading the reviews on here, I think the people who are moaning about this hotel just the type of people who enjoy a good moan to be honest!

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and always assisted with our requests with a smile, what more can you ask for? The hotel grounds are lovely and I did not see one cockroach during our stay.......the rooms are big and spacious and the beds comfy. Bathroom clean and lovely powerful shower in our room.

The food was ok, they have a good selection and you will not go hungry if you are on the All Inclusive option, you pretty much have constant access to food! The drinks are also ok, although please avoid the cocktails that come from the machine (toxic!!). The beer is very nice, and the vodka is fine. All the soft drinks are the branded variety, i.e. fanta, sprite, coca cola.

The pool is lovely and they have always got some kind of activities going on. The beach is about a 5 minute walk down the road and is also lovely.

Would highly recommend Puerto Banus for it's nightlife and if you are going as a group of girls you will definitely be looked after by the promotions staff, free drinks and even free bottles are up for offer! If you are planning on going out of an evening in Banus I would suggest a taxi as it is a bit of a walk especially in heels!! Taxi fare varied but was around 8 Euros on average.

Over all a lovely holiday in a lovely hotel, so please do not let the bad reviews on here put you off!!

2 Thank suziblanch