“Another lovely stay”

Gran Melia Don Pepe
Ranked #5 of 69 Hotels in Marbella
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days beginning of February . We stayed on Red level this time and can reccomend it . Marie who is in charge of Red level is an excellent host and really looked after us.The hotel was quite full for time of year with lovely atmosphere. Breakfast was very good as uaual with plenty of pleasant staff in attendence. The weather was kind to us and very sunny and bright .We are looking forward to returning very soon as it is our favourite place.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with children a mountain view room is much bigger than sea view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lluis Miquel G, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Don Pepe, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear florenceWakefield,

When are really proud to read a comment like your. We thank you for sharing it with the rest of Trip advisor’s community and, of course, for being our guest.

It is a big pleasure to feel your satisfaction in the hotel facilities and especially for the comments referring to our staff. It would be a pleasure to congratulate Marie for your valuation of her.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Gran Meliá Don Pepe and give you the same experience as your last stay with us.

E-Guest Experience

Write a ReviewReviews (1,871)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent a winter weekend at the Don Pepe and had a wonderfully relaxing time. We were meeting some international musicians who are friends of ours who had chosen to spend some time at the Don Pepe at the end of a European tour, and we totally understood why. The hotel was a lovely oasis with almost a Hawaiian feel.

All staff were helpful and informative from checkin through to breakfast. The breakfast itself is one of the best we have ever experienced, and it was very tempting to stay there till 11 to go round and round again. Certainly the best hotel scrambled eggs ever!

We were on a fairly limited budget and chose a mountain view room, which was far superior space and facilities wise to the sea view rooms.If a sea view is not that important to you, I would choose this any time.

The hotel was in an excellent position on the Golden Mile. Close enough to walk to the cheaper bars and cafes on the way to the old town. We were going to see our friends perform in Puerto Banus which was a 10 euro cab away from the taxi rank on site.

All in all a perfect stay. Excellent facilities and very relaxing. We intend to go again.

Room Tip: Choose a larger mountain view room if a sea view is not essential to you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank helbrown

Dear Helbrown,

Thank you so much for your nice comment referring to our hotel. As well for taking the time to share your experience with other users in this important Website.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our Gran Meliá Don Pepe and make sure that your experience with us has been nice. Thank you so much also for the referring to our staff, breakfast and rooms. It would be a pleasure to share them with the rest of the team.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us when you decide to come back to "your oasis" in Marbella, we will do our best to ensure you a pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here two nights during a driving trip to southern Spain. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was large and furnished in resort-type fabrics. The bathroom was particularly well done, with a double vanity and separate toilet area. We were there during the off season, so it did seem like there were very, very few people in the hotel. However, the breakfast buffet couldn't have been more bountiful or delicious. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you don't have your own transportation, however. It is within walking distance from the old city of Marbella, but unless that's the only place you'll be going, it would be inconvenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Skeddadle
Lluis Miquel G, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Don Pepe, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Skeddadle,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our Ressort for your last stay in Marbella, as well as for taking your time to post your comments in this important web in order share your valuable opinion with other web users.

We are very pleased to read that you have had a pleasant stay with us and your room exceed your expectations. Do not doubt that we will share your kind words with the rest of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Marbella, please, let us know when this happen. We will do our best to ensure you a comfortable and enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This property has a great location, right on the beach and a lovely sea front walk way into Marbella town and beyond.

I choose this hotel as I wanted a good quality 5 star hotel in a great location with great amenities, this hotel did not disappoint. The arrival and check I staff very very friendly and helpful, I paid the upgrade for a sea front room and it did not disappoint. The view a lovely. The room is a little tired and by that I mean it could do with an upgrade to be a little more modern, but it's clean, well equipped and has all you need. The bathroom is a little small, but again it does the job. Lets face it we don't go to hotels like this to sit in our rooms!

The public areas are clean, bright and there is lots of space. The staff at the pool area were a little slow, and I sense there was not enough of them, but that did not spoil anything. The drinks were flowing and the sun beds are well maintained. They will also bring you as many towels as you want.

I loved the cappuccino bar and spent a few hours people watching and enjoying a drink or two. The menu has something for everybody, the drinks are great and the staff are attentive. It rained a couple of days while I was there, but they simply closed the blinds and brought out the heaters, perfect. It's also open very late, so was the bar of choice for a little nightcap.

I stayed half board, but didn't really use it. Breakfast is amazing and I really don't see how anybody could complain. There is lots of choice and the lovely coffee keeps coming. There is all the usual, stuff, plus an egg station where the lovely chef will cook eggs just the way you want them. The omelettes were perfect.

Dinner was lovely, but to be honest there is soo much choice you might want to skip it. I ended up staying in cappuccino a few nights then went off into orange square a few nights. You can actually walk there, a slow stroll took me about 40 minutes. Of course you have to have at least one night in puerto banus or a trip to Marbella would not be the same.

I didn't use the spa, so can't comment.

I do think there are areas of improvement within the hotel, but I also think we need to appreciate the wear and tear these hotels go through. It's hard to keep up with the damage extensive use causes, but I hope reviews like this will help the hotel realise we pay a lot and look forward to our holidays, and in return they have a responsibility to ensure we have the best experience we can.

I still recommend it, I love the location and all in all it was a very enjoyable week.

Room Tip: Sea facing is a must, the upgrade is worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sallyc19
Lluis Miquel G, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Don Pepe, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Sallyc 19,

In the first place we appreciate your positive comments in relation your recent experience at Gran Meliá Don Pepe.

We also thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments, that we believe it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

It is very nice to hear your kind comments about the Gran Meliá Don Pepe. We are really proud that you had such a wonderful experience and our Hospitality and Service met your expectations.

We really appreciate your comments regarding your room and our restaurant service. We work really hard to improve our facilities. That is the reason why is so helpful for us to receive your feedback. Be sure that we will take good note in our future improvement plans.

We hope to see you again very soon; we will be very pleased to welcome you.

We send our best greetings from heart,

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Traveling to Marbella for a work conference at the end of February, the pictures we had been sent of the hotel looked spectacular.

On arrival, this grand resort hotel was like a ghost town.

The staff were courteous and well presented.

The hotel itself is awash with polished brass, marble and water features.

In high season, I would imagine the atmosphere here is vibrant and sophisticated, but with a near empty hotel it felt somewhat oppressive.

Staying in a deluxe double with a sea view, the room was beuatifully kitted out and the bed was very comfortable. Waking up for two days and having a coffee as the sun comes up sat on the balcony was a rare treat that I could get very used to.

The bathroom was well equipped but suffer from a recent modernisation, where the need to specify it with a bidet had been prioritised over the need to be able to put your feet somewhere when sat on the toilet....a strange stance was required which could have been avoided if only there was one less bit of plumbing in the room!

The leisure facilities were very good, the outdoor pool being at 14 degrees was a bit of a shock as was the indoor one being like a bath tub.

So in summary, the hotel was clean, the staff polite and the rooms well appointed. It didn't however excel at anything in particular, and as an expensive place to stay, they should be going the extra mile to make me feel that I am getting something more than an expensive stay in an ok hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear TyrantLizardRex,

We would like to thank you for the time you spent to share your feelings about our hotel with other tripadvisor users.

We are very concerned about your comments. At Gran Melia Don Pepe, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations. That’s the reason why your feedback is very important to us.

We beg you accept our apologies for not having exceed your expectations. It will be a really pleasure if you decide to give us a new opportunity to better serve you in the future.

We send our best greetings from heart,

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Good location, just off Marbella's " golden mile" with ample car parking. Public rooms are comfortable and the buffet breakfast very good, as is staff attention. However, rooms, overlooking the sea are approached down corridors with badly worn carpets and are quite modest- in our case with a bed that should have been replaced months ago as the mattress is uneven and uncomfortable. One can pay much more for similar accommodation nearby- so it's probably OK for a short stay- but would not be our choice for a long holiday. No fault of the hotel of course, but guests returning noisily in the middle of the night reminds us why we don't like big international hotels.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank douglas77
Lluis Miquel G, E-Guest Experience at Gran Melia Don Pepe, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Douglas77,

In the first place, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Marbella. And we would also like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor Community.

We are very happy to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and our Hospitality and Service met your expectations. And we appreciate your positive comments about our breakfast,

Secondly, and regarding the comments about your room, we thank you for your observation. As you know, your opinions are very important to us in order to improve our facilities.

We look forward to welcome you back at The Gran Meliá Don Pepe.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The hotel has a fantastic location . For that reason I already stayed many times in the past years in this hotel but eventually changed to another hotel for I did find the service became to be really very bad - poor. But now the service improved substantially and Marie is a very nice & friendly & most helpful Hostess. I stayed in a red level room , however, I personally did not notice "any change" compared to the past when I was also staying in such a room before it was a "red level room" ; the furniture - decoration is still 'outdated' and the rooms rather 'small' and quite "noisy" . The real advantage of those red level rooms with sea-view - is that they are ideally located in the hotel ; but there could be some more real & practical "personal attention" to people staying in these rooms.
I wanted to go to the New Year's Eve Party but one "obliged" me to sit at a table with people I even did not know- and never had seen before - some kind of a "blind date" ; so, I had to "cancel" for although I am a "social" person and working in international business , I also want to make a choice myself with whom I do want to sit at a table and spend an evening together.
I liked the oyster bar in the hotel lobby and the Ladies were serving the drinks & oysters with a charming very friendly politeness ! The waiters at the breakfast were every day in a good mood and also most friendly. In general most people working in the hotel were friendly but frankly a few "persons" still have NOT at all that "customer service approach " ....
I very much enjoyed my stay ; if I return I will book one of the new Ocean suites which Marie did show me , for me personally those rooms have much more "value for money"......

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jeff m

Dear Jeff M.,

What a big pleasure to read your nice comment referring your last stay with us. Thank you so much for it and for sharing it with another Tripadvisor's users.

We are very proud to know that our service on your last experience in Gran Meliá Don Pepe, satisfied your expectations. Be sure that we will share your comments with all our staff and especially with Marie.

We will take good note about your comments of the New Year’s Eva Gala in order to keep improving.

It would be a pleasure to see you again.