“Very very exclusive, but not show off”

Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
London, United Kingdom
“Very very exclusive, but not show off”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went to Hotel Puente Romano in Marbella, where we, as a family, own a small apartment in the founding part of this exclusive resort a few miles west of the town of Marbella. If you know this part of the world, you know you go there for the sunshine, not for the tranquility nor the cheap pricing. Yet everytime we go, we are surprised by the oasis of calm that is the Hotel Puente Romano. Having in recent years been acquired by the Leading Hotels of the World, it has standards to live up to at any rate. And live up to them it does. Even the new, ever present moneyed Eastern European crowds are humbled by the lack of show-off opportunities and so very easily blend into the relaxation "order of the day". In this, the HPR is a home away from home for all present; opportunities to dress up and dine in style abound on the beach as within the hotel itself, which looks like a very Old Money club, reminiscent of New England beach and country clubs on Long Island, with different more ecclectic crowds. For 4 to 5 days this is a perfect stopover and/or short holiday break. Explore the strand walk where most Spaniards like to run, jog, walk the dog and generally get out before it gets too hot. The restaurants in the hotel are located outside mostly near the eponymous roman bridge "Puente Romano", which reminds us that this part of the world, where a Roman Villa was discovered on the way to Puerto Banus, has always been a richman's haven, since times immemorial. To boot, for the last few years, the club on the beach has been shut down, and so gone are the days when you couldn't sleep in July and August because of the drunken revellers coming back through the carpark just below your window. Thank heavens. The silence is priceless and worth the expense.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have extraordinary views I am told.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PuenteRomano M, Gerente at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your opinion about Hotel Puente Romano. We are pleased to hear how happy you are with our services and we have managed to meet up with your expectations. It is very important that all the hotel residents are able to relax and enjoy their time in our Resort. Your feed back help to encourage our team and we do our best to keep up with good work and improve every day our skills.

I would like to thank you once again for your valuable remarks.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Den Bosch
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This superb hotel still belongs to one of the best in the world. The service is of another planet. Really outstanding. Luxury and spacious rooms, dining, bars and entertainment as well as beautiful places where you can rest and relax with a book. Each visit seems like a dream and feels like a true present. Look forward to be there again soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time you have spent to share your opinion regarding your stay at Hotel Puente Romano. It is truly our pleasure to make our guests holiday a dream come true and therefore we are happy that we have managed to please you and provide the service you expect from us.

I would like to thank you once again for your valuable feedback and looking forward to welcome you soon.

Wales
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Truly relaxing family holiday destination with all the 'trimmings' expected of a 5 star hotel.
Location on the beach and within easy distance of Port and Old Marbella, makes it an ideal base to explore but given all the facilities and restaurants you will end up staying put.
There are over 6 restaurants serving different cuisine and you can choose between the beach setting or the 'square' at evening which has a fantastic atmosphere, with the breakfast buffet being a great start to the day in lovely settings.
We went with our 2 children and they were thoroughly entertained either via the pool or beach (with activities) or in the kids club, leaving us to enjoy the settings.
There is also the excellent tennis club and golf club if you are a little sportier.
The rooms are well equipped and kept very clean by the attentive house keepers.
We would thoroughly recommend a visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Puente Romano during your summer holiday. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed all our installations and could have a relaxing holiday with your family.
Every year we have new projects to improve and provide better service for our guests. Puente Romano works during whole year round; in winter we offer our guests special rates and packages such golf, tennis etc. So please do not hesitate to contact us should you wish to pay a visit to Marbella.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for your very encouraging feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a high quality hotel which is intelligently designed and maintained to a high standard.

The whole environment is extremely well thought out and the atmosphere throughout is very relaxing.

The beach bar and pool are a must,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you find our property excellent and we thank you for your kind remarks. It is always very pleasing to hear the guests satisfaction about their stay at Puente Romano, we hope we can keep up with your expectations always.

Shoud you wish to visit us in the winter season to relax, we have very interesting packages that might please you so please do not hesitate to contact us and we shall do our best to look after you.

On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We ware at the hotel with our kids. The location of the hotel is grate. It's standing just a 4-5€ by taxi from Marbella and 6-7€ from Puerto Banos.
The rooms in the hotel was clean and well furnished. There is two summing pools for adults, one for kids and one for Babis . But on the kids swimming pool doesn't have bar and We can't order event coffees.
In the hotel have a lot of restaurants. And the best is Italian once, but it didn't work for launch.
We have grate tame in Marbella and We came back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PuenteRomano M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks about our Hotel Resort. We are very pleased that you have had enjoyed your stay with us and we have managed to make your holiday pleasent. It is our main goal to make sure all our guests leave our property with a good memory of us and return for their next stay. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Management team
New York City
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The grounds of the hotel are very nice and the buildings have the feel of a white washed spanish village, The plaza by the Roman Bridge is very nice and provides a great atmosphere for dinner. The rooms are also very nice. The whole property is well maintained. Service however is not always consistent and could use improvement in some areas. Beach, pools, and restaurants seem to fill up quickly, be sure to plan ahead to get a seat. much in the hotel feels overpriced, even for 5-star european standards. that said, this is probably the best choice for a stay in Marbella. Its sister property, the Marbella club, is next door, but the grounds and beach of the Puente Romano are more appealing.

1 Thank ALRHA
PuenteRomano M, Gerente at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our installations and services have been satisfactory. We hope that in your next visit we will be able to entertain you just as well and ensure you have a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Jorge Manzur
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,133 helpful votes
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel some years ago and dined here very often....the staff were always lovely however it was becoming a little tired. Not anymore. The hotel has been transformed and I’m very impressed with the four new restaurants. This will now be giving Marbella Club (the hotel next door which my family and I have loved for years) some serious competition.

I can now whole-heartedly recommend both this hotel and Marbella Club to friends (and ex-pat business associates living in London who ask me where to stay in Europe). In particular, the hotel is now full of great restaurants. Only a few years ago it wasn’t worth dining here at all. The owners have been inspired and there must be some fantastic management involved as well as a F and B director who is at the top of his game. We are seriously impressed.

Over the years my wife and I used to dine at the hotel’s famous Roberto's restaurant every once in a while, both in winter when it was indoors and at high season. Roberto's was terrific in its day....it was certainly in our Top 5 Marbella restaurants for some 15 years. We were a little sad when it closed however in truth, it was time for a change......it was a little tired and our final two visits there were quite a let-down, which was a shame as Roberto’s is actually where I proposed to my wife....some years ago.

We heard that the replacement had recently opened and we visited for the first time yesterday. Our booking had been made last minute as we had turned up at another local restaurant for our table and been told we had not booked a table! So, thanks to the Nuevo Reino restaurant between Marbella and San Pedro being incompetent, we ended up instead at the Sea Grill......and to a revelation....the Sea Grill is a wonder to behold. What an amazing transformation. Roberto’s was great in its’ time. This is clearly going to reach the same level in the not-too-distant future.

The restaurant design is brilliant. This is going to work as well in winter as it does in the height of summer. From the superb bar (situated in what was the old indoor restaurant) to the wonderful seating areas throughout (there is barely a poor table in the entire place) this restaurant looks sensational. It reminds me of a couple of the trendier hotels in the Caribbean in its’ styling. The Sea Grill is right up there in atmosphere and "feel good" factor as the Marbella Club Grille and Villa Tiberio......in fact, my wife and I thought it the most beautiful restaurant setting in the whole of Marbella. We are clearly not alone as the place was packed when we arrived for our table at 9.30pm. We were very lucky to obtain a cancellation as we had only booked at 9pm. Word of mouth is clearly packing this place out. We only found out that the replacement for Roberto’s had finally opened after seeing a very classy full page announcement in a local magazine.

I'm fairly fed up with the indifferent service, the average food and, especially in high season, the "take it or leave it" attitude found at many Marbella restaurants which is why I'm particular about where we dine. I find dining at the top restaurants in Marbella to be very good value and thank God there are some great restaurants in the area. The Sea Grill clearly has the potential to become the top restaurant in the region.

As with any brand new restaurant, it needs to find its' feet. While our drinks took a while to come, as did the food....so what! We were sitting in the most beautiful surroundings, the atmosphere couldn't be better and the drinks and food, when they arrived, were wonderful. The pianist was very good as was his drummer who played quietly....although with his Gretch kit, I’ll bet he can also rock when he needs to.

First...the greeting. To be well greeted on arrival is always a perfect start and the two ladies who greeted us, one of whom showed us to our table, were very together, most welcoming and positively beaming. As I was being seated I immediately ordered my usual whisky sour, then opened up the cocktail menu to discover that there was an entire range of interesting "sours" on offer. I quickly changed my order to an Apple Whiskey Sour ....and it tasted fantastic. My compliments to the barman. I want to try all of the others but that will have to wait for future visits.

It is a fact that many of the better restaurants, especially around the port, are very quick to bring drinks and food. They are also very quick to turn around their tables and few encourage you to linger. I've had many a dinner in the port and been in and out within 60-75 minutes. If that is what you want....if you are in a hurry....then go to the port.

The Sea Grill don't hustle you to hurry up and get out...nor did Roberto's nor do any restaurants either here or next door at Marbella Club (a sister hotel). This is a restaurant to visit for the evening. You don't want to rush or be rushed......you want to enjoy the views, the ambience, the "theatre" of the service and of the other guests. Dinner at The Sea Grill provided all that I want from a restaurant......lovely service from start to finish, comfort, good food, a genuine welcome and a relaxing experience leading to total satisfaction.

We were served by a number of people, all of whom were very good... however our main waiter, a lovely guy who I think is called Jose Luis, was simply wonderful. He was so clearly an exceptionally nice guy who wanted us to have a perfect night. I was struck by the restaurant manager, Antonio, who is always relaxed and smiling while managing to be everywhere.

We were given a "freebie" of prawns which I can't comment on as my wife is allergic and so we never eat “Fruits de la Mere.” My wife had chicken and I ordered Dorado baked in salt. Both dishes were beautifully presented, cooked to perfection, served well and the accompanying vegetables/potatoes were delicious.

Wine service, even though, unusually, we did not order a good bottle (we had consumed champagne in the afternoon and so we only wanted one glass of wine each)...was terrific. They brought us a few different white wines that they sell by the glass for us to taste.....all correct temperature and although cheap and cheerful wines, they were served to perfection.

Petit fours was good and pudding was terrific. Between main course and pudding a “freebie” sorbet to refresh the palate turned up....topped with some berries.

In my view this restaurant is a most worthy replacement for the once great Roberto’s and I must compliment the staff, the management and whoever runs F and B for quite an achievement. We will be returning again and again...........we once made the mistake of being critical on Tripadvisor about a brand new restaurant in the UK ...in Ascot..... Coworth Park (part of Dorchester Group). It is now fantastic in every way and we visit often. One must allow a brand new restaurant to find it's feet.

We also love the fairly new NAMAZAKE restaurant......we visited for the first time not long after it first opened. My best advice is either stay here or at Marbella Club (a sister hotel next door) and dine only at both properties and you will not be disappointed.

Just one tip.....trying to park in the evening peak season isn’t easy.....use the valet parking.

2 Thank BarryAscot