“Great location, helpful staff & lovely grounds”

Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
London
“Great location, helpful staff & lovely grounds”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Stayed at Puente Romano for 1-week to enjoy a week of sun, sport & good food & stay in a good location not far from Puerto Banus & found all these. So the hotel is very clean & the grounds are pretty. The room was a great size but fairly dark & the view from the balcony was fairly uninspriring but to be honest we didn't stay in the room much.

We love our sport & the gym is a good size, the run to Puerto Banus in the morning is a good way to start the day but the tennis facilities are out of this world. Coaching is fairly pricey but the tennis receptionist put me in a group session & then I joined in some doubles so I had 2.5hrs tennis for €26 which was amazing & absolutely exhausting!

We enjoyed our meals in Roberto's looking out to sea & although expensive was well worth it due to the quality & service. We didn't spend too much time around the pools & the lunch menu was pretty expensive. We went to Puro Beach a few times (towards Estepona) & loved chilling out at this complex. The beds cost €50 for 2 for the day but well worth the relaxation, the beautiful 25m pool & the very reasonable selection of restaurants in the complex (Laguna Village).

Best food.......?...well Roberto's at the hotel & for fish, Cipriano's in Puerto Banus.

I would definitely go back & if you have a car this hotel is a great location & offers great value if you make the most use of the facilities. Just be careful if Friday is your last night & you venture in to the nightclub....we spent loads, stayed for hours & travelled back on Saturday not feeling quite as refreshed as we should have been!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L0ve_fun_in_the_sun
HotelPuenteRomano, Gerente at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear guest,

It was a great pleasure to look after you during your recent stay at Hotel Puente Romano and for succeeding to make your holiday memorable.

Your remarks mean a great deal to us and we appreciate and value your opinion about our property, service and staff. We are mindful of the fact that it is only by receiving guest feedback that we can offer a five star deluxe service.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Puente Romano. I remain,

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with my husband’s company as part of a reward for employees hitting targets.
The hotel is spread over a large area and it can take a while to orientate yourself. We stayed in a lovely garden view room, a couple of mins walk from the beach.
The room was well decorated in light colours. The bed was king sized. Then there was a step down to the living area, sofa, large TV, table and a computer screen where you could access all the hotels facilities, order room service, book tours etc. Sliding glass doors led out the garden with a table and two chairs. We had a slight problem in that the shower door on the bath kept opening meaning we had a very wet floor, but we didn’t get around to reporting it so can’t really say what the response would have been. The battery on our safe died which meant we weren’t able to get into it nor could security open it. We had to wait a couple of hours before they could get someone from the company that fitted the safe to come open it. Just as well it didn’t happen when we were on our way to the airport!
There are several pools my favourite of which the beach club pool. It’s very relaxing and you can order drinks / food without leaving the poolside. The hotel is very pricey 5.50 Euros for a small glass of coke – half of which was ice! There’s a little hut by the beach, near the beach club, where you can buy drinks far more reasonably. Everything seemed really clean and well kept, including the many gardens. Had a scrumptious breakfast each morning. The gym was very well equipped and very clean. Even the sauna and steam room were spotlessly clean and I was fortunate enough to have them to myself each time I used them.
Can’t comment on value for money as we didn’t pay for it but really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Hotel Puente Romano during your stay in Marbella. We are delighted to learn that you found our service and hotel to your entire satisfaction. I appreciate your kind remarks about our property and it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My friend booked a last-minute holiday for a 5 day break to celebrate her birthday and provide me with a much needed respite.

I had actually emailed the hotel website almost a week in advance, alerting them that her birthday was the day after arrival and requested that they make a bit of a fuss of her. No response or recognition which is very poor show. I know that a 3 star hotel, even, would have provided a gesture.

The setting and accommodation is uniquely lovely. As we were slightly out of season, we could stroll around the wonderful walkways lined with exotic foliage and imagine we owned the village. We hardly encountered another guest on our strolls.There was something reminiscent of Port Merion (the prisoner) in the nicest way. It is the kind of environment I could happily be imprisoned within without complaint. No matter how we strayed and managed to get a little lost at first, we didn't mind as the journey was so delightful and always led us back to the apartment. The design of this village is excellent. I call it a village, as this is my impression - it's not like any hotel we saw over there, or any hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere else. Swans and water features added to the relaxing and elegant ambiance. On our first day, the waterway in which the swans lived was very clogged with fallen branches, leaves and suchlike, with the animals preoccupied with housekeeping themselves. By our third day, however, it was all cleaned up but I wondered if the animals got bored, with so little environmental novelty.

The superior suite was as you'd expect, really, but somewhat smaller than would appear from the angled photos. One dissapointment was the lack of a CD player in the room; we'd brought music to share. The balcony was small, the wall blocked the view of the pool below whilst seated and would certainly have benefitted from decent furniture, rather than old cheap plastic chairs and table. On the evening of arrival (we'd had to wait an hour for the shuttle to pick up another guest who never materialised) a bottle of water, two apples and dried fruit greeted us, but were never presented on subsequent days. The room was quiet and the layout meant that we were hardly aware of other guests. It felt like a private apartment which was pleasant.

We know that mini bar prices are steep but Puente Romano really take the biscuit at 6 Euros per small bottle of water. Everyone complains about being charged for internet access judging from other reviews and we didn't bother with the facility or the television. Another laughable example of meaness, was that we were charged 18.50 Euros for sitting on the beach loungers for 15 minutes, as we discovered on the flight back looking at the bill. They must franchise the beach area out to the guy with the little tent offering massages. The beach area is nothing special except that you can walk all the way to Puerto Banus, which we did. Actually, the massage guy could make an honest living if he offered bicycle hire for this purpose, which would have been fun. You can also walk to the Old Town in the opposite direction along the beach as well, but we took a cab. Old Town reminded me of New Bond Street. My friend was able to access wi-fi for free whilst we were eating in a restaurant opposite the provider. So big thumbs down to management for still charging guests. They are not responding. No matter how much money people are happy to spend, everyone likes to feel that they have received value.

The quality of the night menu for room service was spectacularly unimaginative and bland, as well as being pricey. As for the continental breakfast room service, it's really not worth having. Can you imagine not being provided with tea and coffee making facilities? Even a two star hotel gives this. Another slight irritation was the frequency with which the staff felt obliged to clean the room and unless the 'do not molest' (ha) sign was put on the door, we'd be visited without knocking, twice in one day (we were out most of the time). The staff were lovely; they usually are. It's always the management at fault.

We explored the business centre downstairs which comprised of a dark room with quite a few computers which we were told could be used at no cost, although we did not want to stay there. As for the Spa, it comprised of a corridor of closed doors and a pleasant smell, so we just walked through it. The menu of treatments are extensive, according to the computer screen within the suite but we did not try any.

OK, now down to the restaurants and service. The concierge was a very pleasant, informed and helpful woman. Breakfast in the restaurant was good, overall, except for the egg chef who had two tiny frying pans and a line of hungry guests every morning for his scrambled, fried or omelette concoctions. One morning, my friend brought my fried eggs which still had runny whites which put me off ordering them again. I loved the fresh carrot juice the best and the range of fruits and breads were very good. My friend actually brought ham she'd purchased in a supermarket to breakfast, rather than eat that which was provided. So the quality of certain aspects has much room for improvement.

Entertainment? There is an inviting and spacious bar lounging area but the few guests looked a bit 'tired' and fed up. Frank Sinatra-style crooning just isn't our style! We gave that a miss rather than wind anyone up for laughs. By the way, we are in our 50's but many of the guests were kind of ancient couples. I suppose if it weren't for the fact that we actually needed some quiet space, we may have missed the opportunity for intelligent, lively interraction with others. There's also a spacious piazza with bandstand which may or may not provide entertainment as the season develops.

Roberto's is a lovely restaurant and one night we arrived after 11pm and as the only diners, they very kindly went to much courteous effort to provide a beautiful meal. Mine was simple enough but the most delicious vegetarian canneloni I've ever tasted. As with everything in this village, starting prices for vino are way too steep for the quality. Sitting outside with the sea breathing in and on the shore added a touch of romance to the experience.

Would I go again? Probably not, as I do not feel our custom was valued in any way. The management are mean to the point of embarrassment and I cannot help but get the impression that customers are not essential to the business. Maybe they're an optional extra, to be charged exhorbitant rates for the privilege of the undeniably georgeous environment. I appreciate that we went slightly ahead of full season which may or may not have had advantages of peace and quiet but this was not reflected in the prices.

One evening, whilst chatting to the manager of a very nice beach bar in Puerto Banus, he told us that British royalty stayed at our village retreat; well they never pay, do they and obtain first class service. I would advise the management to extend to guests the impression of being valued by responding to emails, making a fuss of birthday guests, providing flowers, fruit, water, coffee (freshly ground) and tea making facilities in rooms and suites, free internet access and special out of season rates. Oh, and of course, CD players in all rooms. Do not charge guests for sitting on the beach and lively up that area with a bit of imagination.

Oh, and the shuttle service! This was no fault or responsibility of the hotel but may be useful to bear in mind. Aside from the tiresome and prolonged delay on arrival, we had to pay 80 Euros for a taxi back to the airport. Our depature flight was for 18:00 yet, try as she did, my friend could not negotiate a later pick up which she was told was for 13:00 hours and then the operative hung up on her. Best check this out in advance, fellow travellers.

It is pointless and insulting for the rep to respond with the usual promise that management will take such suggestions into consideration as some of these points have been made by other guests over the years with no change. Management should appreciate that whilst the setting is beautiful, an equally important aspect of the vacation experience is being treated as a valued customer.

I would recommend Puente Romano for location and environment for romantic couples and the elderly groups but would advise that they take advantage of the friendly cab drivers in shopping for water, wine and anything else they may like to enjoy during their stay, at the local late opening supermarket. Shouldn't really have to do this in what is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. We were not and have never been interested in golf!

Our stay at this establishment served the purpose of a very relaxing and pleasant short break yet for a longer sojourn, an alternative choice of 5 star hotel would have served our personal needs and standards of customer care, far better. I was particularly aggrieved that my friend didn't at the very least, have a bouquet of flowers with a card on her birthday. A small gesture goes a long way. The management have no shame, which is a great shame, given the potential.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank EclecticLady53
HotelPuenteRomano, Gerente at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Puente Romano. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I would like to reiterate my concern over your complaints, especially for not acknowledging the email that was sent to our attention concerning your friend’s birthday. After our full investigation unfortunately we had found out that your email was sent directly to our spam box and for this we were not able to take a note to send special amenities to the room, as we always like to look after our guests on their special day. The staff and the management at Hotel Puente Romano are dedicated to providing our guests with unparalleled service. In this case, I am sorry that we fell short of achieving this objective during your stay.
In order to restore your faith in Hotel Puente Romano, I would be delighted if you were to give us a second chance to better serve you in the future and assure you of our best attention. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and avoid any future occurrences.
Hoping to welcome you in more favourable circumstances, I remain
With best regards,
Winchester
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Lovely hotel - peaceful, super room - what a shame about the restaurant! Overpriced and a limited choice from the menu. Also the same Nora Jones CD playing on a loop on both nights that we ate in. Poor value in terms of the food - otherwise, a lovely hotel.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VJackson
HotelPuenteRomano, Gerente at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen the Hotel Puente Romano during your stay in Marbella.
On behalf of all the staff, I wish to thank you for your comments. We are delighted to learn that you found the Hotel lovely and your accommodation comfortable. I am quite disappointed about your experience regarding our Restaurant, your observations have been taken very seriously to heart and please rest assured that we do always find room for improvement.
Thank you once more for sharing your opinion with us.
On behalf of the entire team I hope we get a chance to welcome you back to Hotel Puente Romano in much better circumstances.

Kind regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We loved it and spent 3 nights in a fabulous room with a lovely wiew. Best to always ask for the recently refurbished rooms and check you are not near the loading bay for the bar. We followed this advice and were delighted with our large bright and spacious room. The breakfast was magnificent with every possible choice with great outdoor and indoor seating options. In the evening Robertos restaurant is a stunning setting overlooking the sea with wonderful food . We enjoyed the menu degustation, the food was michelin quality and the service friendly and attentive. This hotel is well placed to walk to the Polo house and The Marbella club both offering excellent food. Villa Tiberio is also close this has a stunning setting but the food is rather pricey for what it is but I would definately go back there.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizjoyfitz007
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team I wish to thank you for your kind comments about our property and for finding the service efficient and your accommodation comfortable. We endeavor to provide warm and personal attention and I trust we succeeded in making your stay memorable.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distance future.

Kind regards
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Great architecture, rooms are very large, garden is very nice, bar is very cozy and staff is very nice. In march the hotel is completely empty, breakfast was excellent. Very comfortable hotel, only downside is walking to the rooms under the rain, it happened to me. Will definitely come back with the family.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank maderpint
Dear Guest,

On behalf of entire team, it was a great pleasure to look after you during your recent stay with us. Thank you for finding the service and the friendliness of staff to be efficient and your accommodation comfortable. I hope you will choose the Hotel Puente Romano as your home from home on your next visit to Marbella with much better weather condition.

Kind regards,
mumbai
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel is spread over a large area. The complete hotel gives a feel of entering a an old and medieval but very high class spanish town.
The stress on flora is immense. From my room balcony, I could see flowers and plants that I have never seen before.
The breakfast is amazing. Some of the best spanish omlette. A good bottle of champagne. and a beautiful garden setting set the tone for the day.
Very good night club. Very high class and good happy people everywhere.
All in all, a very enjoyable trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
On behalf of the entire team, it was a pleasure to look after you during your recent visit to Hotel Puente Romano.
We appreciate and value your opinion and experience about our property and service. We are mindful of the fact that it is only by receiving guest feedback that we can offer a five star deluxe service.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel Puente Romano.

Yours sincerely,