“Very Disappointed By The Service”

The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here over Easter for 2 nights. Our booking was for a family room as we are two adults and two children aged 7 and 9. On our booking form we were told our room was specially for children with extra special facilities for children. Well the room was sadly lacking! The two beds supplied were slightly bigger than a single but definitely smaller than a double, and there was nothing extra for the children. Whenever we have booked 5 star hotels in the past, and we have booked many, we have always expected to have nice beds to sleep in. We thought we could manage, and so I slept with my older daughter and my husband with our younger child. It was awful, in the end on the second night my husband ended up on the floor to sleep. The rest of the hotel was fine, there were nice restaurants and the pool was lovely. The spa left a bit to be desired, a bit run down, especially in the Turkish steam room, with big cracks in the wall and tiles missing from the ceiling, and not as clean as I would like. At 18 euros each, you´d expect a bit better. Also in the room, some complimentary water would have been nice, but instead at 4 euros a bottle we felt it was a bit expensive. However, we would have stayed again and booked two rooms adjoining with four beds, but when we complained to the desk and the manager, they dismissed us with a half hearted apology. Two sleepless nights should have warranted a free meal at least in my opinion, so we won´t be staying again.

Room Tip: If you are a family of four, then make sure you are happy to stay in smaller than average beds, or b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Natalia A, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear caboodlemedia,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us these comments. Our customer’s opinion is the greatest assistance to us in identifying possible lack of information and takes whatever corrective measures may be necessary to continue improving in all hotel areas.

We deeply regret not to have met up your expectations during your last stay with us.
I would like to inform you about our Family rooms. This ones has 2 double bed for two people each one. Our apologies for the inconveniences you have had during your stay if the beds was not like expected.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in order to provide the best of our service to make your stay more comfortable with the most appropriate type of room.

Best regards,

Natalia Ameneiro

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Visited from April 11th to 14th April 2014 found the hotel to be quiet at this time of year and very helpful and friendly staff and rooms in spick and span clean towels daily .. Breakfast was lovely with lots to chose from..no shuttle bus to port at all at any time wich was in the package and the spa wanted 18€ to even use whirlpool or jacuzzi ......... Played B&C course on Friday wich was quiet but over the weekend became very busy with members,, took 5 hours to get around even with a buggy so beware of this !!!! All courses are very good with quick greens but preferred B if honest a better test...... B&C best to play .... No downsides really but get a room with pool view ,, we had room 125 wich is on the road not ideal and not what I requested .... Overall excellent hotel staff and golf courses .... Ooh and cheat up mr course Marshall costs nothing to smile !!!!

Room Tip: Top floor pool view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Phil E

Dear Phil E,

First of all, thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Meliá La Quinta.
We appreciate to hear that your expectations were met with our services and facilities and that you enjoyed.

We deeply regret not to have met up your expectations with the type of room you booked this time.

We would be glad to have the opportunity to receive you once again in our Hotel with a pool view room.

Best regards,

Natalia Ameneiro

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a week here playing golf and visiting the surrounding areas during the first week of September and the hotel and its staff were wonderful. The service they provided was second to none as nothing was too much trouble. We even did not have to put our golf bags into the cart ourselves.
The room itself was spacious, very clean and comfortable. All of the rooms had a balcony which allows you to make the most of the beautiful scenery, or to watch the golfers play on the course.
The only possible issue which may occur, is that the hotel is quite a distance from Marbella and Puerto Banus. During the summer a free shuttle service is provided if you wish to get out and about. Otberwise a hire car may be advisable.
The breakfast is the best I have enjoyed at a hotel with so much variety that even the pickiest eater in my family enjoyed it.
Overall I would fully recommend this hotel, and I look forward to visting other Melia hotels.

Room Tip: From talking to others in the hotel all of the rooms are wonderful. However if you wish for more pri...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kooki8
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was the first time staying in this hotel although I had played golf on all the courses several times. The hotel is very spacious with a large entrance foyer and a luxurious look on entering. The rooms are modern with good views over the golf course to the mountains. Has large pool. Staff were very friendly and food good. One of the best breakfasts ever and taken on the terrace if you wish. Only complaint was the 10 euros per night for parking but would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had one day here on a business trip at the end of October.

The first gripe is that it's difficult to find. My agency had somehow put the map of the other Melia hotel in Marbella onto my order confirmation. It's on the road to Ronda, about 3m north of the main Marbella-Algeciras road. There are endless roundabouts. Once you get the right one (two up from the BP garage) there's one small sign amongst many others announcing the hotel. The resort hotel is two miles further on. The staff on arrival are friendly and welcoming. Rooms (ours anyway) are large, with beds to match. The views across the golf course to the mountains are spectacular. It's not a beach hotel, though, and if you want the sea, this isn't for you. It's beautifully quiet. There's a good pool. Breakfast is good, though there's a casual air about the service. Three of the hot items were used up when I ate (not late) and though the dishes were filled up willingly there was an inevitable delay. Orange juice also had to be refilled and the coffee machine was not functioning because it needed to be emptied of used coffee grounds. Lunch was potentially nice, though I had to send my fish back because, though allegedly local, it had been frozen and was still raw and cold in the middle. Problems are however put right smilingly. Staff want to help. The environment is relaxing. Once you learn that nothing here can really be done in a hurry, it's a pleasant spot. I shall probably use it again for the sleep quality and the peace and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2013

STAY AWAY FROM MELIA HOTELS AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!!!!!!!

I arrived to this hotel by taxi after a surreal experience at the Torremolinos: Melia Costa del Sol (read that review as well). When I arrived before even thinking about checking in I asked to speak to a manager. I was visibly angry so you would expect they would quickly get an English speaking manager, right? No, this is a Melia hotel. They had two managers "in a meeting". The "guest expectations" manager who barely speaks English and the front desk manager who speaks perfect English.

You guessed correctly, after keeping me waiting for a while the "guest expectations" manager came to speak to me but naturally there was no way for us to communicate because she doesn't speak English. Instead of getting the other manager, she brought over another girl who spoke much better, but not perfect, English.

Three times during our conversation where I told them the man at the Melia Costa del Sol refused to call them she said "I will have to call that hotel to see what happened" !!!!! As if I sat there lying to her !!!!!!! Never once did she say "Oh my god, that is terrible". She just sat there with an obnoxious face repeating three times "I will have to see what happened" . I felt like screaming at her "NO you do NOT have to see what happened, I have told you already three times what happened" but it was very clear that Melia does not properly hire or train their employees.

After all this absurdity, I checked in with the excellent front desk manager and specifically said it was on a "trial" basis because I needed to make sure their internet and air-conditioning worked perfectly. Some of their staff, especially their restaurant staff, are outstanding but the internet speed which was 1.5MB when i checked in had dropped to 500kb the next morning. UNBELIEVABLE!

The only manager on duty was the revenue manager who was fantastic. She could not believe all the other experiences I'd had at both these Melia hotels. Ironic that they have a revenue manager who speaks perfect English and knows how to treat guests, but they have a "guest expectations" manager who doesn't speak English and has no idea how to treat guests.

As I was checking out, heading to the Marriott Marbella for what turned out to be a wonderful 7 night stay (and never to return to a Melia hotel EVER), there was another man checking in.

He had specifically confirmed a certain room but the girl checking him in (the same girl who helped me translate with the "guest expectations" manager who didn't speak English) told him "no, we have you in room 206". The man was FURIOUS. He had stayed at their hotel many years when it was a Westin and always had the same room, no problem. The year before, they came for the first time that this hotel was a Melia and had the same problem. Despite booking the same room for years, Melia didn't bother to block that room for him. So two years in a row this man was furious and frustrated because the people at Melia are so incompetent they should not even bother running hotels.

STAY AWAY FROM MELIA HOTELS AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Seaside_65
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Seaside_6...,

I do not find this review fair with my Team but above all I do not find it fair with the hundreds of people all over the world who work hard everyday to provide Melia’s guest the best quality of service possible.

Although I do not really know what kind of intention is behind your words or even behind your attitude against us I can accept that in this case we could have done things in a better way in terms of welcoming a “visibly angry guest before even thinking about checking” and of course I do apologise for that. Obviously we have to be professionals and there are no excuses but I just want to beg you please next time you want to express your discrepancy do not insult or disrespect people. Sometimes that helps…

On the other hand I am glad to know that you changed your plans and decided to stay in Marbella instead of going to Holland (as you told to the Front Desk Manager before leave the Hotel). It was our pleasure to keep your belongings here during a few days and also I would like to thank your comprehension when we ask you to pay only one night of cancellation fee instead of the seven days left as agreed in the contract.

Finally once you have found that wonderful place to stay here I sincerely hope you decide to come back again to this lovely part of the world and also recommend your friends and family to come.

Yours faithfully,

José Antonio Rubio

Reviewed October 15, 2013

What do mean, 1st up Melia is strong brand and great deals to be had online and if you are rewards card holder then your sorted. Rooms big, gigantic melia bed, nice views, sea, balcony, golf course side prolly best because sea facing rooms tend to be directly over the bar or restaurants. I can assure you sea facing rooms over the bar, you are not sleeping.

This is a Golf resort and they do conferences. (no brainer) large groups of men getting pissed not ideal. That is my main complaint. lovely pool, spa, grounds, good japanese food on site and parking.
Melia La quinta needs to be careful ensure their clients are getting getting what they want at a 5 star resort.
Stag nights are not what I would expect nor would expect no dampers on furniture scrapping away on the upper floors. We stayed in 2 different rooms, 2nd floor and 3rd floor.
Nonetheless the staff coped with it well. Very polite, always helpful.

Breakfast is ok, you are near Benahavis and 15mins tops Banus. 1hr drive to Ronda.
I would recommend it esp if you mad about Golf, want a good deal and staying for 2 days. if you are planning a week, then my advice would be ring up 1st and enquire re conferences. You have been told.

Room Tip: 3rd floor Golf course facing side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Outside101,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Marbella and for taking the time to share your opinion in this website.

We are really glad to read your comments about the impression of our hotel staff. We appreciate your feedback because this is the way to know what else we need to improve and modify in the future to achieve the guest satisfaction. Do not hesitate that we will take good note about your comments in order to keep improving our service.

We would like to see you again in our hotel Melia Marbella La Quinta, as soon as possible.

Kind regards,