“You simply can never trust a Melia hotel. Worst management EVER!”

The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 71 Hotels in Marbella
Seaside
“You simply can never trust a Melia hotel. Worst management EVER!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

STAY AWAY FROM MELIA HOTELS AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!!!!!!!

I arrived to this hotel by taxi after a surreal experience at the Torremolinos: Melia Costa del Sol (read that review as well). When I arrived before even thinking about checking in I asked to speak to a manager. I was visibly angry so you would expect they would quickly get an English speaking manager, right? No, this is a Melia hotel. They had two managers "in a meeting". The "guest expectations" manager who barely speaks English and the front desk manager who speaks perfect English.

You guessed correctly, after keeping me waiting for a while the "guest expectations" manager came to speak to me but naturally there was no way for us to communicate because she doesn't speak English. Instead of getting the other manager, she brought over another girl who spoke much better, but not perfect, English.

Three times during our conversation where I told them the man at the Melia Costa del Sol refused to call them she said "I will have to call that hotel to see what happened" !!!!! As if I sat there lying to her !!!!!!! Never once did she say "Oh my god, that is terrible". She just sat there with an obnoxious face repeating three times "I will have to see what happened" . I felt like screaming at her "NO you do NOT have to see what happened, I have told you already three times what happened" but it was very clear that Melia does not properly hire or train their employees.

After all this absurdity, I checked in with the excellent front desk manager and specifically said it was on a "trial" basis because I needed to make sure their internet and air-conditioning worked perfectly. Some of their staff, especially their restaurant staff, are outstanding but the internet speed which was 1.5MB when i checked in had dropped to 500kb the next morning. UNBELIEVABLE!

The only manager on duty was the revenue manager who was fantastic. She could not believe all the other experiences I'd had at both these Melia hotels. Ironic that they have a revenue manager who speaks perfect English and knows how to treat guests, but they have a "guest expectations" manager who doesn't speak English and has no idea how to treat guests.

As I was checking out, heading to the Marriott Marbella for what turned out to be a wonderful 7 night stay (and never to return to a Melia hotel EVER), there was another man checking in.

He had specifically confirmed a certain room but the girl checking him in (the same girl who helped me translate with the "guest expectations" manager who didn't speak English) told him "no, we have you in room 206". The man was FURIOUS. He had stayed at their hotel many years when it was a Westin and always had the same room, no problem. The year before, they came for the first time that this hotel was a Melia and had the same problem. Despite booking the same room for years, Melia didn't bother to block that room for him. So two years in a row this man was furious and frustrated because the people at Melia are so incompetent they should not even bother running hotels.

STAY AWAY FROM MELIA HOTELS AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Seaside_65
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Seaside_6...,

I do not find this review fair with my Team but above all I do not find it fair with the hundreds of people all over the world who work hard everyday to provide Melia’s guest the best quality of service possible.

Although I do not really know what kind of intention is behind your words or even behind your attitude against us I can accept that in this case we could have done things in a better way in terms of welcoming a “visibly angry guest before even thinking about checking” and of course I do apologise for that. Obviously we have to be professionals and there are no excuses but I just want to beg you please next time you want to express your discrepancy do not insult or disrespect people. Sometimes that helps…

On the other hand I am glad to know that you changed your plans and decided to stay in Marbella instead of going to Holland (as you told to the Front Desk Manager before leave the Hotel). It was our pleasure to keep your belongings here during a few days and also I would like to thank your comprehension when we ask you to pay only one night of cancellation fee instead of the seven days left as agreed in the contract.

Finally once you have found that wonderful place to stay here I sincerely hope you decide to come back again to this lovely part of the world and also recommend your friends and family to come.

Yours faithfully,

José Antonio Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2013

What do mean, 1st up Melia is strong brand and great deals to be had online and if you are rewards card holder then your sorted. Rooms big, gigantic melia bed, nice views, sea, balcony, golf course side prolly best because sea facing rooms tend to be directly over the bar or restaurants. I can assure you sea facing rooms over the bar, you are not sleeping.

This is a Golf resort and they do conferences. (no brainer) large groups of men getting pissed not ideal. That is my main complaint. lovely pool, spa, grounds, good japanese food on site and parking.
Melia La quinta needs to be careful ensure their clients are getting getting what they want at a 5 star resort.
Stag nights are not what I would expect nor would expect no dampers on furniture scrapping away on the upper floors. We stayed in 2 different rooms, 2nd floor and 3rd floor.
Nonetheless the staff coped with it well. Very polite, always helpful.

Breakfast is ok, you are near Benahavis and 15mins tops Banus. 1hr drive to Ronda.
I would recommend it esp if you mad about Golf, want a good deal and staying for 2 days. if you are planning a week, then my advice would be ring up 1st and enquire re conferences. You have been told.

Room Tip: 3rd floor Golf course facing side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Outside101,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Marbella and for taking the time to share your opinion in this website.

We are really glad to read your comments about the impression of our hotel staff. We appreciate your feedback because this is the way to know what else we need to improve and modify in the future to achieve the guest satisfaction. Do not hesitate that we will take good note about your comments in order to keep improving our service.

We would like to see you again in our hotel Melia Marbella La Quinta, as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Myself along with 15 golfing buddies chose to stay at La Quinta for our annual golfing trip this year and if was a choice well made.We stayed four nights and played golf at the hotel (I would recommend courses A & B) and two other local courses.
About 45 minutes from Malaga airport and having three 9 hole courses of it's own it's a great location. The hotel has a small feel to it and is built in a more traditional style to many of the ultra modern hotels we've stayed in before. The hotel is very clean, well maintained and has large rooms (two double beds in our twin room which was nice) along with all the amenities you'd expect. There's a very nice pool and there was no fighting for loungers or indeed loungers covered in personal items with nobody there (so irritating at other hotels). The hotel provides a shuttle bus into Puerto Banus or you can take a cab for around 11 euros for the ten minute trip into town. Probably not a great location for people who like to walk places from the hotel, but we were happy with the transport available
We didn't eat evening meals at the main hotel, however the breakfast was of a good standard with the usual array of choices to suit most people and outside seating. We did eat at the golf club bar/restaurant (attached to the hotel) and the food very good and interestingly (and most welcome) the drink was far cheaper than in the hotel itself!
All in all very good an I would be happy to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Braddy
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Braddy,

Thank you very much for taking your time writing these comments about your stay at the Meliá La Quinta hotel We are very glad that you have enjoyed your annual golfing trip with us.

We are pleased to know that you liked our facilities and you had been satisfied with our service and we completely fulfilled your expectations.

We hope to see you soon!!

Kind regards,

Edinburgh
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from Melia La Quinta after spending 3 nights and 4 days. First impressions of the hotel were pretty good until we got to the reception desk and then things started to go wrong! On the positive or rooms were ready, despite the fact we arrived at lunch time, but the greeting from the receptionist was far from welcoming and we appeared to be more of an annoyance than anything else.

We weren't asked if this was our first visit (which it was) and we were given no introduction to the hotel or the facilities available to us.... In fact the only thing he seemed concerned with was making sure we either paid the €10 per night for the hotel car park (a rip off) or we needed to move our car out to the street. We were due to tee off shortly after our arrival but again there was no information provided about where to go in terms of getting to the caddy master etc

Our rooms were spacious, but as mentioned previously the floor was badly scratched and the number of clothes hangers was inadequate for even a 3 night stay!

Having eventually found our way to the golf course pro shop, we were once again 'greeted' by a rather rude lady who again provided little in the way of information or direction about where to go or what facilities were available. She gave us keys for our buggies but no direction to where they were or which ones were for us. Most frustratingly she didn't even see fit to tell us that we were going to be joined by a single player who was not in our party... This concept doesn't bother me or my playing partners in the slightest.... But being pre warned before you rock up on the first tree is usually an advantage!

On a positive note the golf courses were excellent and in very good condition... We found course A to be the most visually impressive, C the most challenging, and B was a tactical challenge but a good scoring opportunity for the clever golfer.

The final frustration was the gates to the pool being locked by security at 6pm despite all the notices saying it was open for use until 8pm... Something reception were unable to justify and unwilling to provide any solution for

Overall the hotel is nice, in a good location and has excellent facilities.... But be prepared to have to search them out yourself with little or no help from the 'customer service team' - and if you want to park your car securely it will cost you an extra €10 per night!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank joeking1979
Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose La Quinta to be able to visit friends who live in the Marbella/Banus area after spending some time further up the coast. We often stay in Melia Hotels and have always been impressed by their quality & service levels. We were given an upgrade to a poolside room which was larger than average, big comfortable bed, etc.etc. we were given an extra room key card so we could go out and leave a card in the electric box to keep the A/C going, and a welcome presentation of "luxury" bottled water and chocky biscuits daily (nice touches!).
Good breakfast/lunch menu & not silly prices, and a nice terrace to have it on. we didn't have dinner at the hotel, but the Japanese restaurant looked inviting.
Lovely pool & garden area. Didn't play golf there as the day we wanted (Sunday) didn't have early tee times available. So played at nearby Atolayah Park (at much less cost!).
Brilliant staff, everyone very friendly, courteous, & helpful. We had late flights home and the reception staff gave us a late as possible check out, then use of the beautiful Spa facilities to shower & change after lingering at the pool to get the last of the sun before returning to cold old UK!
The only niggle was that our room key cards never seemed to work. good job we were on the same floor as Reception and didn't have to walk too far to keep getting them re-validated. Same thing happened whenever getting out of the car park, where the room card should allow you to exit. No one seemed to know why, and we noted some other guests had the same issue. For this reason only I have downgraded Service to "Very Good".
That said, we will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a poolside room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnSet
Dear JohnSet,

I would like to thank you for letting us know your opinion through the TripAdvisor web site and for your holidays at the Meliá Marbella La Quinta hotel.

It is a pride for the entire team to read your feedback and to know that your stay has been a nice experience. As you know our principal aim is to give you the best service, making your stay exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments about the attitude of the staff will be shared with the objective to motivate to continue with the best quality and guest satisfaction.
We are really sorry for the inconveniences with your room key cards. I would like to inform you we proceeded take the corrective action.

We would like to see you again in our hotel as soon as possible!

Warm regards,

Guest ExperienceManager
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Concierge , and front of house staff, excellent, spoke very good English . Our room on 3 rd floor, very good size, with relaxing lounge area, and large balcony overlooking pool. Very hot when we were there, so the shady trees near the pool were a blessing. Staff also organised golf games for my husband, course in excellent condition, very well looked after, played early morning as it got too hot later on. We found hotel grounds in good condition, everything very clean, including room and bathroom. We never used our rental car, staff said parking in puerto banus and Marbella was difficult. Free shuttle bus was provided quite regularly, up until 11p.m. At night, driver very obliging dropped us off in centre of town. Also ate at main resturant a couple of times, food o.k. But found the food at the golf club terrace much better, and lovely view, with a nice breeze, also free appetiser from the chef. Also excellent wine suggested by the waiter.

Room Tip: Don't choose ground floor, unless you have children, most of them seem to be there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marion A
Dear Marion A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experienceat Melia Marbella La Quinta hotel.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our facilities and our rooms.We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, we always try to exceed your expectations and we try to make your stays will be as perfect as possible. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

It would be a pleasure to see you again.

Aberdeen
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel was excellent, we stayed for 3 nights in August 2013 and couldn't have faulted anything. The restaurants were great and the pool was fantastic - there was a lack of sunbeds at one point but the staff soon sorted this out. The spa was excellent, very relaxing on a hot afternoon! The golf courses looked amazing too, but we didn't play them. The free bus to Marbella & Puerto Banus was good given the location of the hotel. Would definitely return for a longer stay next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scottishlass812
Mª José G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear scottishlass812

It is a pleasure for the entire team to read your positive feedback and to know that your stay at Meliá Marbella La Quinta has been a nice experience. As you know our principal aim is to give you the best service, making your stay exclusive and unforgettable.

Looking forward meeting you again for a longer stay!!

Best wishes,