“We checked out 4 hotels in the Puerto Banus area - This is the best!”

The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
durham
“We checked out 4 hotels in the Puerto Banus area - This is the best!”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We booked a villa for a 10 day stay in San Pedro.
On arrival it was not as described - panic search for a hotel.
Checked out:
Melia La Quinta
Melia Puerto Banus
Hotel Guadimina
Villa Padierna
In my opinion La Quinta was by far the best visited.
Here are the reasons why:
Location
It is really quiet and relaxed even when it is busy.
It has fantastic views of both the sea and the mountains
It is within 15 euros taxi range of good bars and restaraunts
I take my bike and its easy access to some great tracks up into the mountains
Room
We had one of the best value rooms we have enjoyed for a long time
It was very large with its own private terrace and two sun beds
Well equiped and well decorated
Only one British TV station but we were not there to watch TV!
Facilities
First Class if you like golf and Spa
My wife thought the spa was streets ahead of Seaham Hall if that gives a comparison.
Average if you are really into your Gyms - this was ok - one old ergo - lots of CV and a couple of weights machines but no Smiths Machine,Squat rack or free weights
Bar lacks atmosphere
We found 90% of the staff to be very polite and helpfull.
Breakfast staff were exceptionally helpfull.
We got what we thought was a great rate for a 10 night stay
Only down side is the charge for parking
Ok for a couple of nights but not for 10
Be carefull where you park around the hotel as you can get a ticket if in the wrong place
It was not the cheapest of the 4 hotels listed but we were very happy with the value cost equation
We look forward to returning at the end of the summer

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cannondalerugby5
Melialaquinta, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments.

I would like you to know that at Meliá Hotels & Resorts, we are conscious that our guests are our main priority, and we aim to delight you a fully enjoyable stay.

I am at your entire disposal.

Erika Cobos B.
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Slovak first
london
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed with a friend here after reading many a trip advisor review on the local hotels, this looked like it fit the bill for a chilled-out couple of days.

On arrival we were ignored by two members of check-in staff, neither wanted to have the responsibility of checking us in, and eventually Miguel (a rather unfriendly individual) checked us in.
He didn't offer any information about the resort itself, we asked questions about the spa, where breakfast was etc, and he did answer these questions-reluctantly.
Basically no personal or friendly service on arrival- quite disappointing.

Suggestion to Management:

Choose reception/Check-in staff carefully!
This is the first impression received by your paying guests and employees such as Miguel and Xiana (I'll get to Xiana later!) are not best suited for making the best impression, they may be presentable, however they're attitudes and irritatingly rude nature is just infuriating!

The Room:
Our room was fairly basic, two twin beds, small chair and table next to the beds, a shaded and quite dark balcony with cushioned seating-perfect for a glass of wine.
Bathroom, basic enough and certainly not 5 * standard. Towels were tired looking, bath products minimalistic and not good quality. Also not enough towels or bath products.
No slippers provided as advertised.
They did provide bathrobes.
Safe worked fine and did it's job.
Decent sized tv, although only 1 English station out of a possible 30 stations.. considering the amount of english speaking visitors they would have I find this odd, if not ridiculous.
Housekeeping do a poor job. Actually I would say it is the worst housekeeping I've experienced in a 5 start hotel. Sheets were not changed at all in 4 days, and tiled floored had not been cleaned the entire time. If you stepped barefoot from your bed to the bathroom your feet would be black from the dirt-certainly not acceptable in my book.

The Pool:
We found the pool area relatively clean, however for 99% of our stay there was no staff at the pool bar. Therefore you could not even purchase water! The one (and I mean literally one) time someone was at the bar they took an eternity to serve a soft drink and sold us warm bottled water.
I do not understand why this should be the case, surely if people are using the pool and if the hotel was at 'full-capacity' ( which according to my new freind Miguel it was at full capacity) then why is the pool bar not open???!! This means you have to go up to where you eat breakfast and wait to be served (service is slow here, albeit friendly) just to get some water, which of course you cannot bring down to the pool because it is in a glass.

Suggestion to Management:

When you have paying guests, basic expectations like purchasing water at a pool bar should be met especially when said bar is advertised as being 'open' and when staff are insisting they are fully booked.

Decent amount of sun loungers, and no shortage of them, my friend and I don't believe in reserving beds so finding there was ample choice was definitely a positive. However I will say this; on our last day, there seemed to be a lot more people at the pool and beds looked to be in greater demand.

Guests from Spain and France were quite inconsiderate at the pool, with one very large man practically sitting and smoking on top of me, but I guess some people have no respect for personal space.

Some loud and rowdy Liverpudlians treated the pool area as their very own private villa by shouting from one end of the pool to the other with no consideration for other guests.
Also it came to our attention that some guests from London had invited their family and friends to the pool although they did not appear to be hotel guests. (this wasn't a problem for us as there was plenty of beds and space whilst we were there but I guess in high season this sort of thing could be a problem for actual hotel guests).
I also witnessed the grandmother of one of the english guests throwing the end of a drink in the pool!!! A member of staff witnessed this and said nothing!
It's not fair to blame the hotel for this, however if they witness inappropriae behaviour I do feel they should attempt to control it.
The pool itself is FREEZING! I would warn anyone visitng with children to be careful as I would think a child would inevitably get a cold from playing for long periods in an icy cold pool.

Ok, time for a positive; The Spa is amazing, honestly one of the nicest and quietest I've been to.
I didn't have any treatments so I cannot comment on that, but the treatment rooms looked lovely. The sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, relaxation areas and even changing rooms were beautiful.
The staff are a little false here, and although we were told we had complimentary access to the spa at checking in they did try to charge us every time we went and even went as far as putting it on our bill (this baffles me as for it to appear on our bill we would have had to sign for it, which we obviously didn't, so beware of additional charges)

The only downside to the spa is that the pool area at the spa desperately needs to be refurbed/maintained. The walls surrounding the area are all chipped and look like they need to be painted also there was what looked like a bees hive in the corner of the doorway, it is very obvious so I don't know how this hasn't been removed. It is a shame because if there was a couple of changes mades to this spa pool it could be fabulous as an adults only pool, perhaps even with a drinks service, and fresh fruit, like other 5 star establishments, then guests would be more enticed to pay extra for the spa usage.
Changing rooms in the spa, although they are very nice, the temperature is unbearably warm!
Restaurants:
Lunch on the terrace overlooking the pool (also where you have breakfast in the morning) is a nice area, clean and staff here seem to work the hardest, and are the friendliest. The menu for this area is very poor though.
Overpriced tiny salads and below average sandwiches.
Cheapest bottle of wine is €23. They charge just under €4 for a soft drink and €4.50 for water.
Japanese Restaurant-we didn't try it, but it doesn't seem to open until very late in the evening.
Lobby bar; downstairs, looked nice, with a large flat screen although it had absolutely NO atmosphere! No music, piano, musician or any form of entertainemnt the entire time we were there.
Breakfast:
Selection at breakfast small but adequate, again not 5 star, but did the job.
Beware though, one member of staff begins clearing all the untensils that u need to pick up fruit, eggs, beans etc away before the allocated time of 10.30, so you have to be quick, also cutlery is not replaced at your table once it has been taken. The egg chef (a lady) was friendly, quick and worked hard.
Reception Staff:
We were refused a late check out by Xiana, I don't expect a late check-out, however when you ask a question and the immediate response is "NO" without them even checking availability then I find that plain rude.
We were unfortuante to encounter Xiana's rude nature on a number of occasions during our short stay, I really don't now what her problem is, but she really annoyed us both, we were two smiling people happy not be at work for a few days and to be constantly greeted with a bad attitude from someone in the service industry is just laughable.

Suggestion to Management:

Ask Xiana does she really want to work in the service industry, and if the answer is yes, then insist she change her attitude, becasue this is a HUGE turn-off, and to be quite honest I would have accepted the cons with this hotel and considered returning had it not been for Xiana's uneccesarily rude and arrogant attitude.
And so we had to leave our bags in reception until our evening flight, when leaving we were refused entry to the luggage room by security to collect our bags, and the reception staff again were rude. Eventually we had to demand access as our car transfer was outside waiting. Security was asking us for a card to prove we had bags, but this is something that Francisco (who checked us out) did not provide, obviously if we were given a card or receipt for our bags we would have handed it over, even after describing minute details of our luggage the staff were refusing to comprehend! Just not good enough, and caused uneccessary stress before departing for the airport!

Also when checking out, Francisco failed to ask us any questions about our stay at all, for example did you enjoy your stay? Do you have a taxi booked for the airport? Would you like our concierge to arrange a transfer? Do you need to leave your luggage until your departure? You know the usual, basic customer services one can expect from any hotel let alone a hotel that claimes to be 5 star!!!!

Overall you may be surprised to read we did enjoy our stay, it is a nice hotel, with a lovely golf course, fabulous spa, it is just a shame that the reception/concierge/check-in staff are so damn, painfully RUDE!

Suggestion to Reception staff:
SMILE..... it costs nothing to be nice and smile at guests, I think you'll find this is received much better than your current choice of constant moody-ness!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, preferably facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank 321London
Melialaquinta, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that you felt less than fully satisfied with our Front Desk staff and some Hotel areas, and we would like to thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to send us your comments. At Meliá Hotels International we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the opinions and suggestions of our guests that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for. With this aim in mind, letters such as yours are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.

I do hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the fact that you felt less than completely satisfied for these incidents, but I do hope that this somewhat negative experience will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future.

If there is anything that we can do for you, please, do not hesitate to contact us.

midlands
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Great hotel, We normally stay at La Cala but they were full. This place is bigger but very nicely appointed and the whole experience from the rooms to the golf was great.

The best thing was the japanese resteraunt and if you get the chance get a table where they cook in front of you its truly amazing and a great performance. The food was superb and as we had not tried Japanese food much before it was a real eye opener.

A reccomended hotel thats nice and quiet, no motorways around it.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments, as this kind of constructive criticism let us ensure that our high standards are constantly maintained.

We never forget that we owe our position as the leading hotel company in Spain and one of the top hotel companies in the world to the good opinion of our clients and towards whom we address our constant efforts, aiming at providing our guests a fully enjoyable stay. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving reservations from you in the future.

essex, england
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at the resort for 2 nights as part of a longer trip. We initially could not find the hotel, so ensure you are following directions from the E15 AP7 to Malaga and not the A7 as when you get to J172 - its not there! - whereas from the E15 - it couldnt be simpler.

The hotel is modern and of a grand and luxurious design. The rooms were large, modern and comfortable and quiet. Views are either of the pool areas or the golf course, both of which are nice. The pool was large and plenty of beds around it, meaning you can sit quietly away from people if you choose - bar and restaurant at the pool too.

As with all hotels like this - dont expect anything to be cheap. To eat, I would advise getting out and heading down to the sea - Peurto Banus being the nicest option, though - expensive!!

Definately take advantage of the Spa - its a beautiful facility even if on the pricey side. The jacuzzi and steam rooms are plentiful and relaxing!

I would recommend highly - and probably even more if I was a golk player... but im not.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flyboylee
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2011

this review relates to the la quinta suites which we rented via the melia la quinta hotel website. we booked a short five day trip to a penthouse suite at a cost of 1000.00 euros - not cheap but the description and pictures looked worth it. difficult to find estate office to check-in. taxi driver very helpful (75 euros from malaga airport) and waited patiently before taking us to the suites some 500m away from office. representative met us to open suite - note two lifts required with a short walk between each. first impression of suite positive - clean and spacious with decent view but not of pool and gardens as per pics provided ! after brief handover of keys and instructions to operate appliances all appeared well - jacuzzi not filled but would be filled the next day. off to puerto banus for afternoon (taxi fares varied between 11 - 14 euros for this short trip) returned to find we were unable to access secondary door to suites - primary either by key or pin number - fortunately someone was in another suite and let us in - otherwise it would have been a trip back to office ! this was at 16.45 hrs office closes at 18.00 hrs so if we had returned after this time and no reply from other sole resident we would have had a problem! call to office explaining problem with key access not quite as expected as we were invited to attend their premises not the other way around. problem was sorted - regrettably rep had provided us with two sets of keys supposed to be identical but turned out that only one key to each door provided on different key rings.
jacuzzi was filled next day but was filthy - plus no instructions as to operation - ok not rocket science but to the inexperienced user a definite problem! exterior lights did not work whichever switch we pressed !
the positive bits - golf course excellent - hotel amenities first class - expensive but to be expected in this area..
have had a couple of e-mail communications from estate office regarding above - helpful to a degree but a lot is lost in translation! customer service would not get five stars in my book! tried their best but their best is akin to complaining to a second-hand car dealer about your concerns over recent purchase !
please don`t be put off totally by la quinta suites - they have assured me improvements will be forthcoming.. see if you can barter.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Melialaquinta, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Westin La Quinta Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to send us your comments. We have forwarded them to La Quinta Real State, because you booked through their website.

We would like to inform you that Meliá La Quinta Hotel is managed by Meliá Hotels & Resorts, and Apartments and Villas are managed by La Quinta Real State.

You were not our guest on this occasion, but we hope that you consider our Hotel for your next visit to Marbella. We will welcome you.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I've been staying at the melia la Quinta every year for the last few years. Previously it was called the westin.
Each year we have returned and had a fabulous time. The bedrooms are spacious, breakfasts are lovely and this year we had a lovely balcony with a view of the pool.
The breakfasts are served in the main restaurant and offer plenty to choose from. There is also a restaurant in the golf club which we ate in regularly too. The staff I'm here were very helpful. We ate in the Japanese restaurant once and it did not fail to disappoint, beautiful.

The pool area is very clean, towels supplied and even at high season we had no bother getting beds. They do have waiter service to the pool beds but it's a little slow and it's jus as easy to get it yourself.

The only problem I found was that when breakfast finished at 10.30 the pool bar didn't open until 12 and there was no shop open to buy a bottle of water. It was hard to lay in this heat and not have a drink of anything. And you aren't allowed to bring drinks down to the pool after breakfast as they are in glasses and not appropriate around the pool area. All in all a long dry wait for the bar to open jus to get sone water.
Nonetheless I will still be back in the meila next year!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Highheeledlady
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Came here on a last minute deal with my 10 year old daughter for a week in August. It's a little out of the way, you will certainly need a car (car-park fee £10 per night though) but the hotel provide a free shuttle bus until the end of August that takes guests down to Puerto Banus and Marbella five times a day (including the evening) and returns to the hotel too.

The whole complex is incredibly spacious, the room was large, not brand new but the size and views more than make up for it and the bed was divine, fantastic nights sleep. We didn't have Pool view but considered the view overlooking the road (which you don't notice anyway) and golf course down to the sea the better choice and were delighted, the balcony area was also large with built in sofa's and glass coffe table. The bathroom had a big bath, shower, twin wash basins, permanent hot water and huge fluffy bathrobes. Throughout the hotel was spotless, the room corridors could do with a freshen up, especially the carpet but we didn't choose the hotel on the condition of the corridors. All of the staff were professional and welcoming, Eduardo at the reception was amazing as too was the barman at the main bar. The service is excellent throughout. The Club house staff are a little more aloof but its a beautiful venue. Internet access is available in the rooms but a bit pricey, there is free wi-fi in the reception and public areas though as well as a free to use computer on the lower ground floor.

Despite being peak season there was never a problem getting sun loungers around the pool, will say that there weren't many English people when we stayed it seemed to be mainly couples and Spainish with young families (even so it wasn't too noisy). We didn't use the Kids Club as my daughter was the only English speaking child there and older than the others. Entertainment is more sophisticated, the food is very good and not too badly priced if you're used to London prices, must also say that the breakfast buffet is excellent. It's not the place for Hen or Stag weekends but perfect for a relaxing get-away in wonderful surroundings. We'll definately be back next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family