“Fab Hotel & Spa”

Ranked #52 of 70 Hotels in Marbella
Lancashire
“Fab Hotel & Spa”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Just returned from a long weekend, the Hotel and facilities are top notch. Breakfast was excellent for choice including the champagne.....of which we sampled several glasses..
the rooms are a little tired but clean and comfortable.
A couple of points to mention is the hotel is nowhere near anything else so car hire is handy, though not necessary as the shuttle bus runs very regularly, only downside you share with the staff (though not a problem to us, but the hotel guests should come first) several times during the day.
Another odd thing is people wearing bathrobes to breakfast......called me old fashioned but do they realise just how ridiculous they look!!!!!!
Bar prices somewhat expensive.....19 euros for a brandy!!!!!!
Would defo be going back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bindybop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Have just returned from Incosol and wanted to write something straight away. Firstly, let me say I have never felt so relaxed in my life. This is definitely the hotel's strength. However, I think it does require some explanation so that you are prepared.
It is a spa with a 'medical' element to it,so it's fair to say the majority of guests are in their senior years, and have been going for years and years, there is a very loyal clientele. However, the advantage of this is that no-one is rushing anywhere, and it is lovely and calm, and quiet. However, there are people in all age groups ( I am in my 30's, travelled alone, and met a nice crowd there), even babies- though not many kids as there are no special facilities (this also makes the place extremely quiet).
It's fair to say the place is rather faded and badly needs some investment to bring it back to it's former glory as Europe's top spa destination. The facilities are great; 6 pools (one lovely outdoor heated one), spa facilities, amazing buffet lunch (57 euros!). If you are on a budget there is a free hotel mini bus into Marbella (journey about 10 mins) running regularly, so you can eat there, enjoy the old town, the beach etc, yet come home to your quiet hotel at night. The staff are fantastic, really old fashioned 5 star service. Also, great activities to try, I did the group power-walk in Marbella every morning and also had the chance to try Tai-chi (all free). Bedrooms are gorgeous, clean, nicely decorated.
So, in conclusion, if you can get past the 'old peoples home 'atmosphere, and slightly faded appearance of the place, and get with the programme, you will have a lovely relaxing time, attended to by dedicated staff. I hope this has been useful! I am going back next year.

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LillianB56
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 7, 2010

The Incosol is a superb hotel. It is situated higher up in the mountains close to the hospital. The rooms were very spacious and clean with excellent balacony with sea views. The staff were lovely. The hotel has 6 different swimming pools (4 outdoor, 2 indoor) a spa circuit (jacuzzi, hamman, sauna, heated loungers all of which are free) and very well fitted gym. There is a lovely bar with outside seating that looks over the water pond, gardens and swimming pools. A car is a good idea as you can drive to any of the beach restaurants or Marbella for lunch/dinner. If you a want a quiet relaxing break with absolutely superb facilities I would highly recommend this hotel. Also don't leave without having a massage - it was one of the best I have ever had.

Stayed September 2010
1 Thank MapGirl2000
Glasgow
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I'll kick this review off with some context and background. My wife and I are late twenties/ early thirties. We travel extensively around the world for business and pleasure. We've stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and some of the worst. in short, we're experienced travellers. We prefer culturally stimulating holidays with a bit of relaxation thrown in rather than a Benidorm-esque scenario.

I really don't know where to start with this review. I'll go through a few gripes methodically...

PRICES:

It's listed as 5 star, although we got a reasonably good price on a room only deal. Naturally you expect prices to be higher, but given that this hotel is far from 5 star, the prices aren't warranted. It's been mentioned before but it's worth highlighting again, lunch is a buffet affair and it's €57 PER PERSON. That's right. €57 PER PERSON for a buffet. To make matters worse we couldn't find anywhere else nearby to eat so to avoid the rip off requires a trip into Marbella which is about 4km away (more on that later). the evening meal had an a la carte option with main courses in the €20 to €30 region. There was also a fixed price €67 per person deal. Breakfast appears to be €22 per person. They had room service and I ordered a burger one night at a cost of €18 and it was bland and lacked any flavour or seasoning. A slice of toast for breakfast on the room service menu was €10. I'd class myself as a food enthusiast and I enjoy spending a decent amount of money on good food, but based on the impression we got from the hotel overall, we had reservations about spending any money in their restaurants.

Special mention to the mini-bar in the room. Naturally you expect mini-bars to be expensive but that wasn't the only problem. There were two: A) The mini-bar only contained bottles of water B) It was €6 for a small bottle of mineral water.

Prices in the bar varied from reasonable to absurd. €4 for a bottle of local lager, Mahou, which was perfectly drinkable up to €10.50 for a shot of Bombay Sapphire gin. then another €4 for a bottle of tonic. There seemed to be some food served in the bar though an enquiry for a menu fell on deaf ears though we did manage to negotiate a couple of small chocolate cakes to go with our coffee one afternoon. €15 for what was basically a Mr Kipling-esque chocolate cake.

I was quite looking forward to a massage and some relaxation in the spa however the discovery that it was €107 for an hours massage soon squashed those hopes and dreams. Given that I'd paid £8 for an hours massage in Shanghai a few weeks before, there was no way i could justify the Incosol prices, particularly when we spied a couple of places in Marbella quoting a third of their prices.

LOCATION:

The hotel is about 4.5km outside Marbella. The road from the main dual carriageway is a windy, bumpy slog to the actual hotel. There's nothing else near the hotel: no bars, shops, restaurants. Walking to Marbella isn't an option unless you're a masochist. Hurrah for the courtesy bus then. Having read earlier reviews that suggested it was "regular" and ran "every half hour" imagine our surprise when we discovered it wasn't regular as there were a couple of 2 hour gaps in the afternoon/ evening when it didn't run at all. it also only ran once an hour taking people into Marbella and once an hour picking people back up for the return leg. Special mention has to go to the day Marbella town centre roads were closed for a cycle event and the courtesy bus dropped us at the edge of the town with no explanation, simply told us to get off as there was a "road closed" sign. Once in town we discovered the usual drop off point was completely closed so we returned to where we'd been dropped off earlier only to endure a 2 hour wait as the courtesy bus didn't bother coming back into town and there were no taxis to be found at all. The bus schedule also varied between leaving on the hour, quarter past or half past. There was a small timetable on a notice board in reception that is easily missed.

AMBIENCE/ ATMOSPHERE:

In short there is no atmosphere. Jack Nicolson's family in The Shining felt less isolated than we did. The place was absolutely dead. The pool was empty. If lying there in silence is your idea of heaven then go nuts. The bar was deserted and I'd reckon that over the course of 11 days we were the only folk in it for more than 75% of the time. They had live music at night which involved a guy with a keyboard singing Guantanamerra to an empty bar. We weren't expecting a full on rave but a bit of atmosphere would have been nice. At one point they had a CD of Christmas songs playing in the bar which raised a chuckle.

Based on my calculations the hotel had 9 floors of rooms with maybe 25 rooms per floor. I estimated that there were no more than 25 people staying in the hotel at any one time.

Guests were almost exclusively Spanish. There were a couple of English people but no British tour operators appear to use the place so it's very much geared towards the Spanish clientele. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

SERVICE

I always try and use as much Spanish as possible whenever I can and I don't expect everyone to speak English but communicating with the staff was an issue. Upon arrival we found the safe in the room didn't work so I asked reception to sort it. By the time we left the safe still wasn't working. A couple of reception staff spoke pigeon english but beyond that it was non-existant. The bar staff were very friendly however and had tremendous patience as I stumbled through "Dos cafe con leche por favor".

At the pool there are two bars, neither of which appeared to be stocked or staffed. A female waitress would appear maybe twice a day and walk around the pool and if you were lucky she'd catch your eye and you could order some drinks but this was rare. Instead you have to get up, put on a t-shirt, walk into the hotel, order the drinks, they'll then bring them out to you, then they go back inside, then they come out with the bill etc etc. A major operation just to get a couple of drinks. On one lucky day we'd managed to flag the roaming waitress down three times and we gave her a €10 tip as a thank you in the hope that she'd be a bit more attentive. We never saw her again that day...

The maid service, whilst persistent (I can only assume that "Do Not Disturb" translates into Spanish as "Please enter immediately"), was a bit patchy. Beds were made every day but the bathroom cleaning was iffy and we were stuck with the same dirty glasses for a couple of days.

ROOMS

Acceptable. Acceptable in the way that a Travel Lodge room is acceptable. Not 5 star acceptable. It's quite comical actually. Instead of buying ornate furniture, they've bought cheap furniture and painted ornate features on it. Two single beds pushed together despite booking a twin. Not a great deal of floor space. Air conditioning was noisy and didn't cool the room. It was also impossible to adjust the temperature though fan speed could be adjusted from "hair dryer" to "jumbo jet take off" level. Plus points about the room included a good sized bathroom and decent complementary toiletries (though they weren't replenished during our stay), two massive wardrobes with a lot of storage space and a very large balcony. We had a corner room though looking up at the hotel from the pool I'm guessing there were substantially bigger and smaller rooms than ours.

The beds were alright thought the pillows were atrocious. There was a menu of pillows though how you ordered an alternative was a mystery.

FACILITIES

6 "pools". One manky indoor jacuzzi type one with a filthy mould line on the pool walls around the top of the water. One large 25m heated pool. Consistently shallow but suitable for lengths. One kidney shaped pool with a waterfall and rock feature in the centre. This was about 2m deep in places.It's not heated but was definitely the best one. There's another outdoor jacuzzi pool and another small one behind the gardens. Worth noting that we spied rats running around near the pools...

There's a gym but the equipment is very limited and what is there is quite old. As mentioned there's also a spa that does the usual beauty and relaxtion stuff but the prices are eye watering.

So who's this place for? Well, if you're wealthy and you're looking for a very quiet holiday with no distractions or stress then this would be the place for you. However, if you're wealthy enough to afford the prices here (bearing in mind that the actual accomodation costs are quite cheap) then you would be better off going somewhere else. Without wanting to boast, affording the prices wasn't the issue for us, but given the overall quality of the place, the prices are simply not justified. If you can afford these prices, go somewhere better than this. It's no better than a 3 star hotel at best yet it has delusions of grandeur. No doubt it was good many years ago, but those days are long gone.

A final word about Marbella itself. It was too quiet. We were there at the end of August and we still expected it to be busy however it was surprisingly quiet. With the days being so mind numbingly boring we were hopeful of some evening entertainment but it wasn't to be found. The bars, of which there were very few in my opinion, were empty. I'm not sure if there's a local bye-law that forbids music to be played but we couldn't find anywhere playing music. I was also hoping to track down some decent live music but this wasn't happening either. Restaurant wise, apart from a very nice place in the old town ( www.restauranteelcortijo.com ) it was pretty bog standard package holiday destination fodder. Puerto Banus wasn't much better. A conversation with a taxi driver suggested the recession has impacted Marbella hard but even I was amazed at how quiet it was.

The dissapointment with the hotel and the resort had us considering an early flight home just 5 days into a two week stay but we stuck it out until the end and resolved ourselves to long boring days by the pool and long boring nights in silent, empty bars.

Never again...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BM78

Travelers are raving about these Marbella hotels

wigan. england
Reviewed September 10, 2010

just spent a week at the incosol and enjoyed every minute of it.

Read plenty of reviews about this place and all the good points are spot on, The hotel is less than 10 minutes from the center of Marbella, totally relaxing, the staff were all very accomadating, couldn't do enough for you. The gardens and pool areas [6 diffrent pools] were in tip top condition and certainly plenty of sun loungers for everyone. Food and drinks were a bit on the steep side[ they do the best Manhatten ever!!!] but we made use of the free shuttle bus to go into town quite a lot so didn't drink at the hotel to much. However what we did have was first class.
It is what i would call a grown ups hotel as there isn't much for the kids to do and the age group is older rather than younger but certainly not full of geraitrics.
One reviewer asked the question is it a hotel or a hospital as you get a few people walking around in bathrobes from the spa but not so many that its a issue. personally i would rather see that than some fat guy walking around in a thong, seen that before !!
Would i recommend it? yes with no hesitation.
Will we be going back ? without doubt.

Negatives.

Not a lot really, some areas were looking a bit Tired ie coat of paint and a bit of touching up. Some of the treatments in the spa were a bit pricey
What i would say is don't change any money at the hotel reception as the rate is rubbish much better rate in town.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is our 4th or 5th visit to Incosol - hence we know most of its features & foibles by now. Over repeated visits we’ve noticed that there is, to a certain degree, a slightly acquired taste to the hotel. It has a fascinating, impossible-to-fake hint of circa 70s/80s glamour that is appealing on first trip and becomes increasingly more so on repeat visits. By way of example the ground floor interior of Incosol is absolutely stunning… Miraculously despite looking like its not been decorated since the last J.C.'s coronation, it is still in immaculate, totally un-shabby condition. The lobby, central congregation areas and bar are stunning (my wife and I spent over an hour in the latter just trying to analyse how decor so undeniably dated could still look so vividly attractive!).

The single best element about Incosol is its amazing pacific vibe. If you go there and come away saying ‘I’ve been somewhere more peaceful’, I want to know where that place is! By the pool you hear nothing but lapping water, 99% of the time. Its location up in the low-lie mountains is both its greatest asset and, oddly, something of an Achilles heel… It’s a 20 euro round trip to Marbella centre (the old town still as great as ever, the rest of it – shops, etc, are notably in a major state of recessive downturn). Puerto Banus is a 40 euro round trip and is as fun/posey/trashy/wannabe as it’ll always be.
……………..

The thing about Incosol I find most curious is the staff; they scale through from award-worthy to pretty dreadful. If you start at the top of the tree then there is the Budget Director and Human Resources Manager.

Budget Man up first… Since we were last here (2008) the main pool (heated, brilliant, the best I’ve ever swum in) has been re-laid… with an even newer, even better, even warmer pool. There are three other beautiful outdoor pools surrounding the hotel, all unheated, mostly unused and surrounded by (though I’m no expert) potentially award-threatening gardens.

Raise your head a few degrees though from any of the above features and you’ll clap eyes on the hotel façade. While not ‘crumbling’, it is, in parts starting to look somewhere between ‘tatty’ & ‘knackered’. If the hotel finds the appropriations for their pool overhaul then next year they want to consider trucking in some serious quantities of plaster and a job-lot of white wash and get the hotel the same colour as their newly created apartment complex next door (slaver, dream, etc!). The contrasting contradictions between the two are in no way flattering. Windows on stairways are unwashed and other niggles include the upkeep of the grass, which is not what it once was. Having said this – and possibly hard to believe - not one or all of these elements, diminishes the overall attraction of Incosol (4th or 5th trip remember!). I’ve never come away from anywhere feeling more refreshed. If you’re working your way up to overload GET HERE NOW! It’s so good you can actually see all-out perfection beckoning… hence the depth of this review.

The rooms, I love… They have an odd five sided wall configuration and - like the bar look a touch dated yet still close to immaculate upkeep-wise. The bathroom is very good and while the plumbing makes strange noises in the morning, the beds are so super-comfy and immersive they more than make up the balance. The TV is an older non-flat-screen effort, but it would be hard to imagine a Plasma working in tandem with the decoration (and that’s coming from a nerdy tech-man like myself). Further on that tip my wife and are usually the regular ultra-modernists when it comes to hotels so if you’re reading this and think ‘they wouldn’t appreciate the W (or similar)', think again…
Incosol is just a different type of beat.

So to the Human Resource manager then (or whoever does Inco's hiring and firing). First of all the highlights… Antonio the barman par compare remains the greatest single member of staff – as friendly, welcoming and O.T.B. as ever. The rest of the bar staff are on a sliding scale of 'ok' to absurd. Spain’s answer to Louie Walsh does ‘ok’ while ‘the raging bull’ (as he became known) committed the ultimate crime of refusing to serve us a welcome drink 15 minutes BEFORE knocking off time! For shame… Newcomer in the ‘great stakes’ is curly-haired 50-something in the breakfast room. We’ve not seen him before but he is clearly universally loved by the regular guests and from his super-friendly disposition, it’s not hard to see why... The rest of the breakfast posse too – kudos – fast as lightning, and breakfast itself, well, keep thinking: ‘4 or 5 trips’!

Arch criminals from this stay – there were a couple of new entries. Prime suspect: the lunchtime chef who, despite clearly having many years working the customer-side skillet in international hotels under his belt still pretends not to know the English word for ‘chicken’. He’ll also joyfully pluck the only lime out of a bowl of lemons to ‘accompany’ the dish, once you’ve ordered it. The 62 euro pp price tag for lunch is still a wincer - but once you've got the food on your plate it is damn good. Winner though of the ‘hospitality’ hit parade though is JJ Aquila, a man redefining the word ‘Reception’. On one of his poorer days could give one B. Fawlty a run for his money… Sending someone up to the room with the necessary hardware for internet access took 3 attempts and even relatively undemanding activities like phoning a taxi were bungled. His clear delight in picking up phone calls before dealing with people stood in front of him was also palpable. Maybe it’s because we hadn’t subscribed to the unwritten check-in/out 'formality' of slipping him euro 50?

And therein lies Incosol’s only other significant problem... Their system in many areas is this: you get limited service without effusive upfront tipping. Then once you’ve ‘signed-up‘ you get incrementally better service (up to and including full-on-fawn) the more open-season you’re prepared to declare on your wallet. The pool attendant was the fastest to catch on to our system (the usual one!). Offhand and bluff to start, when said tactic didn’t work by day 3, he swapped to chattily knocking out the Spanish (and breaking out the reserve towels). What followed was the good service/happy tipping arrangement that worked so well as standard back in the 20th century!

With us though Incosol’s harder core staff elements were on a hiding to nothing… They failed to take into account is that my wife and I have stayed at the Guadalpin in Puerto Banus; a possible birthplaces of this ‘enterprise’, where the service is truly bruising prior to proffering the contents of your bank account. Thus all their attempts at this new 21st century type of blackmail were really just amateur hour. Those members of staff at Incosol trying to hit the enter button to this policy should go down to Guadalpin and get some tips from the staff there... Pun well and truly intended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank starkprofilespr
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Just returned from 4 night stay in Incosol. On the positive side the hotel is clean and the pool area is quite nice. On the negative side, we understood that the hotel was 5 stars but it's definetely not. Our room was very small with two beds pushed together instead of the double we'd requested, we had a very run down balcony where the paint was peeling off the walls and windows, small old style TV etc ..... The rooms are only 3 star at best. The hotel is some sort of medical spa and they offer medical treatments there - collonic irrigations etc. It's like a old folks home and half the guests walk around in bathrobes all day - including at breakfast which was very offputting. Would recommend this hotel to an retired couple but certainly not for anybody under 60. Location is poor as well. It's a couple of miles from the old town area of Marbella and about a mile from the beach - what's the point in going to a beach resort if you're that far away from it? Finally, the restauarnt staff were terrible. On a number of ocassions I had to follow a staff member to try to get basic things like, for example, cups for the coffe they had brought us!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marbella
Rio Real Golf Hotel
Gran Melia Don Pepe
#5 of 70 in Marbella
Vincci Seleccion Estrella del Mar
Healthouse Las Dunas Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Incosol Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!