“Excellent Value, Perfect central Location”
Review of Hotel Del Pintor

Hotel Del Pintor
Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Sotogrande, Spain
“Excellent Value, Perfect central Location”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

If you want clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation right in the old part of Malaga, this is the place. We stayed one night for a visit to the nearby Cervantes theatre. Discounted parking close by.

Room Tip: loved the decor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Brian,

Thank you for such a nice comment about your stay in our small hotel.
We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the location.
Hope to be your home in the city for next time.
Best regards!

Sergio Barroso
Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We used to live in Malaga and watched this place getting reformed. Having returned to the UK this is the hotel of choice on our visits back. It is well priced, great location and brilliant multi lingual staff.
It's clean, has really comfortable rooms and has WIFI throughout and it is really quiet inside (which is rare for Malaga!) It's decor is unique and really interesting. Will be back again this summer for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank malagaboyz
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear guest, thank youy very much for your kind comments.

We are always very happy when we feel that we have accomplished our goal in making our guests enjoy Málaga and their stay with us.

Best regards,
Sergio Barroso.
Catania, Sicilia, Italy
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel for the price and the refreshing, not-your-typical-hotel decor. We were thrilled to find that the location is even better than we'd expected, easily within walking distance to the historical parts of the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and comfortable. We had to leave early (before their main breakfast was available) but were still able to get a light breakfast served in our room which was very much appreciated! We will definitely stay here again next time we visit Malaga. Bottom line: this is a budget hotel. If you prefer luxury, book somewhere else. If you want something basic, this is a fantastic option.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind comments.

Sergio
Galway
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Nice confortable rooms, helpful staff, beautiful decoration. Good location in the center of Malaga and within walking distance of the main attractions Liked the breakfast served in the room, even though I think the main breakfast downstairs could be available from earlier.

1 Thank Skinny2308
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind comments.
We really appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you will return in the future to continue discovering Malaga' s secrets and riches.

Sergio Barroso.
Seville, Spain
Reviewed January 2, 2014

During a recent stay in Malaga I decided to extend my visit by one more night. Unfortunately the lovely hotel I’d been staying at had no availability. Then I remembered that while I was in Malaga last summer my friend had stayed at Hotel del Pintor. I’d seen her room and, while not as nice as where I’d been staying, I thought it would be fine for one night. But I was shocked when I got to the hotel and saw that my room was nothing like the one I’d seen before. In fact, it was barely a room at all. There was one single bed in a room just slightly larger than the bed itself, with next to no closet space. Small, dark and uncomfortable. There wasn’t even a place for me to put my carry-on suitcase and I ended up leaning it against the door. The very small bathroom was clean enough, though the toilet seat was soaking wet when I arrived (??), and the toilet made odd gurgling sounds during my stay.

I spoke to the receptionist who told me they were fully booked so I couldn't change rooms, and when I asked to speak to the manager I was told he was away and couldn’t be reached. This was at midday on a Friday, so I was resigned to spend my final night in Málaga in that dreadful room but I didn’t want to spend 54€ (the same price I'd paid at the previous and far superior hotel) and so asked if something could be done about the price. When I returned to the hotel in the evening to change for dinner (I’d stayed out as long as possible so I wouldn’t have to spend time there) I was told that the manager was still unavailable. I told the receptionist – a different one this time – that it was outrageous to charge so much for what was little more than a walk-in closet and she said this was because of the hotel’s “excellent location”. Yes, on grimy calle Álamos, with no parking, no restaurant… all of which was available at my previous hotel (which is actually in an excellent location). I left to meet my friends feeling very upset.

That night I had a terrible sleep on the creaky small bed with a too-soft pillow that was full of lumps. The next morning I got dressed and got out of there as soon as possible, and while checking out yet another receptionist told me that the manager – who was now unavailable because he was off for two days – had instructed her to tell me that they would not adjust the price for me, adding insult to injury. Unbelievable. What hotel has no manager available from mid-day Friday until Monday morning?? Completely unprofessional. When my friend stayed there during peak season in July she paid 48€ for a single room that was easily twice as big, yet management maintained they could do nothing for me. Trust me, there are plenty of other places to stay in Málaga where you will be treated much better than this.

Oh, and when I sent an email to the manager after he finallly returned to work the following week he actually wrote to me: "I'm sorry you failed to understand our philosophy of tourist accommodation." Based on the other complaints I've read here about these small rooms and inflated prices, clearly management's "philosophy" is to ignore the comfort of their guests and not care about repeat business. Take my advice and AVOID.

7 Thank Shawn H
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear guest,

We have already contacted by email.

We have explained your complaint, which has no basis because you were informed in advance of the characteristics of the reserved room.

I feel that our small boutique hotel has not fulfilled expectations.

Regards,
Sergio B.
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights with a very young child. As other visitor said; value for money. Don't expect much, then you will have a good stay. The eco-cafe for the breakfast nearby the hotel is not open before 9 o' clock, but there are enough cafes where you can have breakfast. It is noisy street (till 6 o'clock in the morning...), so if you want to sleep well, you have to take ear plugs.

Room Tip: I asked we want a room not on the street side, but we got a room on the street side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much Alkmaar, for your kind comments.
It really feels that you have enjoyed your days in Malaga.

Best regards,
Sergio B.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in hotel for 3 nights. The location of hotel is perfect, so you can go everywhere by walk. The room was very small but calm and clean. The breakfast is not included in the rate (you can ask for the breakfast at the rate 5 EUR). Hotel provide hot/cold water free of charge, so you can make tea anytime. The staff was always helpful, kind and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Irena, thank youy very much for your kind comments.

Sergio