Hotel Del Pintor
  • Bar/Lounge
$115
$101
  • Pool
Hotel Zenit Malaga(Malaga)(Great Value!)
$65
$117
$98
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Ibis Malaga Centro Ciudad(Malaga)(Great Value!)
$65
ibis
  • Restaurant
Sol Guadalmar by Melia(Malaga)
$100
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold towninside roomcervantes theatresingle roomexcellent locationsmall hotelbreakfast is servedbusy streetclose proximityrecommend this hotellight sleepershort break in malagastay there againsmall streetboutique hotelfriendly hotelminute walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2014

During a recent stay in Malaga I decided to extend my visit by one more night. Unfortunately the lovely hotel I’d been staying at had no availability. Then I remembered that while I was in Malaga last summer my friend had stayed at Hotel del Pintor. I’d seen her room and, while not as nice as where I’d been staying, I thought it would be fine for one night. But I was shocked when I got to the hotel and saw that my room was nothing like the one I’d seen before. In fact, it was barely a room at all. There was one single bed in a room just slightly larger than the bed itself, with next to no closet space. Small, dark and uncomfortable. There wasn’t even a place for me to put my carry-on suitcase and I ended up leaning it against the door. The very small bathroom was clean enough, though the toilet seat was soaking wet when I arrived (??), and the toilet made odd gurgling sounds during my stay.

I spoke to the receptionist who told me they were fully booked so I couldn't change rooms, and when I asked to speak to the manager I was told he was away and couldn’t be reached. This was at midday on a Friday, so I was resigned to spend my final night in Málaga in that dreadful room but I didn’t want to spend 54€ (the same price I'd paid at the previous and far superior hotel) and so asked if something could be done about the price. When I returned to the hotel in the evening to change for dinner (I’d stayed out as long as possible so I wouldn’t have to spend time there) I was told that the manager was still unavailable. I told the receptionist – a different one this time – that it was outrageous to charge so much for what was little more than a walk-in closet and she said this was because of the hotel’s “excellent location”. Yes, on grimy calle Álamos, with no parking, no restaurant… all of which was available at my previous hotel (which is actually in an excellent location). I left to meet my friends feeling very upset.

That night I had a terrible sleep on the creaky small bed with a too-soft pillow that was full of lumps. The next morning I got dressed and got out of there as soon as possible, and while checking out yet another receptionist told me that the manager – who was now unavailable because he was off for two days – had instructed her to tell me that they would not adjust the price for me, adding insult to injury. Unbelievable. What hotel has no manager available from mid-day Friday until Monday morning?? Completely unprofessional. When my friend stayed there during peak season in July she paid 48€ for a single room that was easily twice as big, yet management maintained they could do nothing for me. Trust me, there are plenty of other places to stay in Málaga where you will be treated much better than this.

Oh, and when I sent an email to the manager after he finallly returned to work the following week he actually wrote to me: "I'm sorry you failed to understand our philosophy of tourist accommodation." Based on the other complaints I've read here about these small rooms and inflated prices, clearly management's "philosophy" is to ignore the comfort of their guests and not care about repeat business. Take my advice and AVOID.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Shawn H
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear guest,

We have already contacted by email.

We have explained your complaint, which has no basis because you were informed in advance of the characteristics of the reserved room.

I feel that our small boutique hotel has not fulfilled expectations.

Regards,
Sergio B.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights with a very young child. As other visitor said; value for money. Don't expect much, then you will have a good stay. The eco-cafe for the breakfast nearby the hotel is not open before 9 o' clock, but there are enough cafes where you can have breakfast. It is noisy street (till 6 o'clock in the morning...), so if you want to sleep well, you have to take ear plugs.

Room Tip: I asked we want a room not on the street side, but we got a room on the street side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much Alkmaar, for your kind comments.
It really feels that you have enjoyed your days in Malaga.

Best regards,
Sergio B.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in hotel for 3 nights. The location of hotel is perfect, so you can go everywhere by walk. The room was very small but calm and clean. The breakfast is not included in the rate (you can ask for the breakfast at the rate 5 EUR). Hotel provide hot/cold water free of charge, so you can make tea anytime. The staff was always helpful, kind and friendly. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Irena, thank youy very much for your kind comments.
We are always very happy when we feel that we have accomplished our goal in making our guests enjoy Málaga and their stay with us.
Hope you will return to continue discovering and enjoying our city.

Warm regards,
Sergio

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Excellent hotel, everyone loved it. Its very central for everything we wanted to see, shops, cathedral, Xmas lights, restaurants, bars. Great value for money, very clean , helpful staff, nothing at all we would change and can recommend to everyone. We will definitely return

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind comments.
We really appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you will return in the future to continue discovering Malaga' s secrets and riches.

Warm regards,
Sergio

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night, the hotel is clean and safe, the rooms are small as asid in previous reviews but it was perfectly adequate for our short stay. The staff are friendly, helpful and speak English, the breakfast is served over the road at a local cafe and it was very nice. The parking is not great - it's a couple of blocks away in a public car park but it is probably as good as can be expected for a small hotel such as this. The location of the hotel is great for local bars and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel L
Sergio B, Gerente at Hotel Del Pintor, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments abou tour little boutique hotel. We are always available to try to make our guests feel at home. I hope you can continue to discover our city soon.

Best regards,