“4 nights in Malaga”

Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Malaga
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“4 nights in Malaga”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The hotel is located within walking distance to all of the tourist sites. Very clean with wonderful buffet breakfasts. Nice rooftop pool with views of the harbor. We had reserved a junior suite but, the hotel did not have a junior suite available when we arrived. We were offered a superior deluxe room at a discount as an alternative.
The superior deluxe was as large as most junior suites. It was very comfortable. We had a great view of the harbor.
I would definitely stay at Molina Lario again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor
1 Thank gene6066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend visit to Malaga and was very suprised as I was expecting something fairly hot and small in a city like this, in part because this is what I had come to expect in a lot of european cities. I was wrong!

The reception area was clean and modern and the check in was quick, efficient and friendly. I then had a problem with the lift (some go to my floor, 6, others didn't?!). This became one of the only problems with this hotel and why I can't give it five stars. More later.

The room was great. A decent sized double bed (a little on the firm side, but that's a preference issue) but otherwise immaculate, with chocolates on the bed, complimentary bottled water, robes, slippers etc. Basically, all the standard of a five star hotel. The bathroom had a great drench shower and the facilities were new and clean. Complimentary tolietries (toothbrush, paste, shaving kit, sewing kit, cotton buds etc) were included. All excellent.

In the evening, I needed an iron for my crumpled shirt from the flight and this was no bother for the staff, and brought quickly.

Malaga itself is a great city. It looked better by night to me though with some fantastic restaurants and bars. (Avoid El Pimpi - pretty dire food and seems to be hyped up for reasons unknown to me). The marina, which seems pretty new with a lot of money spent on it, was very pretty with some great high end designer stores and some nice bars (with water views and great for people watching, but lacking the character of the city itself).

Breakfast back at the hotel was excellent, but they really need to ditch the Nespresso coffee machines as the only means of a hot beverage at breakfast. Queueing whilst people either use it, or work out how to use it was bit tedious - and whilst my otherwise great hot breakfast was getting cold! TIP: get your coffee first until they ditch this idea and serve cafetieres like most hotels.

The lifts - it must be because of the structure of the building, but there are three or four lifts and some only go to floor 5, others to 6 and some even to 8 where the rooftop pool is. It was totally confusing. Getting the lift from floor 6 upwards was even more so as the lifts only seemed to go down. Waiting for the lift was something else. 5 minutes or more was the norm, particularly at peak times. I end up finding the fire escape and using that in the end as it got a bit irritating. Frankly though, the coffee queue and the lifts are my only gripes and did not spoil anything about my stay at this hotel.

On the last day, I ventured up to the rooftop pool for laze in the hot October sun and it was peaceful and calming in an otherwise bustling city outside. White cushions and a decked pool made for a very trendy pool and I imagine that in the high season when the bar is open this could be quite a fun place in the afternoons and evenings.

So, a really great hotel and clearly why it scores so highly on this website. I read the reviews and had high expectations and was not let down. It is a shame that I don't feel able to give 5 stars but the reasons above explain why. You'll like this hotel though!

Room Tip: A high floor will probably be quieter as the lower floors are close to the busy streets
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jamma
932722083, Director General at Hotel Molina Lario, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Mr. Jamma,
Thanks you for all your great comments and for taking the time to write them.
We take note about the comments of the lifts; we will make sure in the future, that this is clear to all our guests. The Reception Department will inform in every check in.
Also we’ve already checked our Nespresso machine in breakfast buffet. We know that sometimes there are a lot of people at the same time, however, now, if this is the case, our waiters will ask for coffees and make them in another coffee machine.
We are looking forward to seeing you in your next visit.
Sincerely

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently stayed in the Lario Hotel in Malaga at both the start of our visit to Spain and on our last night before we flew home. It is a beautiful boutique hotel discreetly placed in possibly the best location for a hotel we ever stayed in. It was on the main shopping street and less than 5 minutes to some of the best tapas bars and restaurants Malaga has to offer. However, that might sound noisy but the complete opposite, we had no problems with noise.

The rooms were clean and well furnished, excellent bathroom and facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful and check-in and out was quite efficiently conducted. Breakfast was good and substantial and had the usuals on offer, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, breads, meats and cheese and provided us with a good start to the day.

All in all I could not fault this hotel at all, it had everything we required. I most definitely would stay here again and have already recommended it to friends and family hoping to travel to Malaga.

Room Tip: The rooms at the side of the hotel were slightly bigger but with no decent view. The rooms at the f...
1 Thank fionad727
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three days in the middle of a journey through Spain. Great staff, very clean hotel and nice room. Good general value. Didn't see the pool or putting green, but definitely worth checking into since they have it. Location's also incredibly convenient to the water and town. Only reason I dropped it a star was for the bed and couch, which weren't the most comfortable. We upgraded to a suite, which was great since Malaga's more of a quiet spot to relax in.

1 Thank cugrad2k1
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review; we take comments about our Hotel very seriously.
We‘ve already talked with our Housekeeper about your comments of the bed and the sofa and in the future when we will renovate them we will take specially interest at this point.
We are looking forward to seeing you in your next visit.
Sincerely

Gijon, Spain
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We only spent 1 night in the hotel before taking our flight back home. We had a pleasant stay without experiencing any problem. I am sure we would have enjoyed the hotel should we have stayed longer. Clean and with a superb location. A very nice bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

1 Thank Lanagul
932722083, Gerente at Hotel Molina Lario, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review on our hotel. It was a great pleasure having you staying with us during your recent visit to Malaga. We look forward to welcome you again.

scotland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in October. It was our first trip to Malaga and the hotel was in an ideal location to explore the harbour, cathedral, Picasso museum and the lovely streets lined with shops, cafes and restaurants.
The hotel itself was spotless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a junior suite on the third floor. The bed was incredibly comfy and the sheets had a lovely clean smell. The only thing I personally did not like was the glass encased bathroom.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and the staff were always on hand to get you anything you wanted that was not available at the buffet.
The pool area on the roof is very small and the beds quickly filled up as it was 26 degrees when we were there. It is worth a trip up if only to see the spectacular views.
The only downside of our trip was that the fact that the refuse collection took place at about three o'clock in the morning right outside our hotel room. The first night we woke in a blind panic as the noise was incredible. I know that this is outwith the hotel's control but all the same it is not conducive to a good nights sleep!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is wonderful.
Location is perfect to every where in Malaga. Even the tour bus stops around the corner. breakfast was great with very good choice.
our room was confortable and cosy. we ordered room service and that was very tasty and good value for money.
staff were nice and friendly. we watched a la liga game in the bar downstairs and staff were as much into the game as we were.
if we ever go back to Malaga then we would like to stay here again.