“Over the top ornamentation”

Iglesia de Los Martires
Ranked #31 of 212 things to do in Malaga
Holywood, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Over the top ornamentation”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Having visited Malaga Cathedral, which I loved, I found this church a bit too highly ornamented with vast amounts of gilt. Just not to my taste!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Woolif

• Polish first
Malaga, Spain
3,177 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,132 helpful votes
“One of My Favorite Churches”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently went to hear Mass at this church. After Mass I looked around at the different altars and admired how the various images of the Virgin Mary were attired and how the chapels were decorated. It is a very beautiful church in the center of Malaga and should be seen by people who visit the city.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank BennyMalaga
Scottsdale, Arizona
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Church of the Martyrs Malaga”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love history and visiting these historical sites, it really does add immensely to the quality of your trip to hire a very good guide. We used Andalucia tours and it was well worth it!

Visited December 2012
Campanillas
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“A Rococo shrine”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Situated in a street of the same name, the Church of the Martyrs is a must for anybody fond of "church crawling". It is a blaze of gold leaf and dark paintings, and holds a number of the images mounted on "tronos" for the Semana Santa processions, at which Málaga excels (some "tronos" require over 200 men to carry them!)

Visited December 2012
3 Thank PadrePeter
Toronto, Canada
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 715 helpful votes
“A beautiful church with stunning artwork and statues”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had the great fortune and pleasure to visit in the company of BennyMalaga and his lovely wife. I'll never forget the beauty of the interior as well as the various statues of the Virgin. I loved their delicate faces and the expert craftsmanship of their embroidered clothing and bejewelled crowns. After visiting this church, I went to more than a dozen churches in other Spanish cities but I never saw adoration comparable to that of Los Martires. This will always be a special place for me.

Visited June 2012