“Good, could be a bit better”

Casa Al Sur Terraza
Ranked #21 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Malaga
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good, could be a bit better”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here for 5 days last week, rooms was fine nice and clean, asked for towels after a 2 days as they had not been changed, no bother got 2 replacements.
Breakfast was great €5, well worth it, communal cooking area was fine although the small 2 ring electric cooker just wasn't up to the job. Nice roof top area for sitting out.
Only down side was the mosquitoes in the room, the reception gave us a plug in machine to help, but by that time we had quite a lot of bites......

All in all very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Macgomez

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 5, 2014

First, I'd recommend this hostel to anyone and I'm not a fan of hostels generally, as I much prefer the privacy of a private room. This place was great, friendly and attentive staff, a beautiful terrace (with breakfast on the rooftop in summer for only 5 euro-worth it), comfortable beds, clean as a whistle and clean bathrooms. I have only one complaint and it was the noise. The hostel itself was quiet, but there is way too much street noise. Even with the windows closed, I got about 2 hours of sleep due to the noise of both cars and people outside. The only other thing I noticed, and an Irish guy I met there said, was that the windows in our room didn't close fully and it let in biting flies, we both woke up with bites all over our arms but really it wasn't a big deal. I'd recommend this place and if I'm in Malaga again I'll stay here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Grunstadt, Germany
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed in Casa Al Sur Terraza for 3 nights in a room with private bathroom and balcony. The hostel opened a few months ago, everything is new and fresh. The room is very nicely decorated, with an eye to details. It is equipped with everything you need (heater, fan, towels, warm bed linen, soap, hairdryer ...). The bathroom is new and very clean. The room is quiet since the hostel installed new double glass windows in most of their rooms recently. The communal areas are great, there is a big roof terrace with seats and tables to relax or have breakfast. The lounge with kitchen is fantastic, you get Wifi there and you have the possibility to buy beverages (beer, water or bottles of wine) to very fair prices. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The hostel is located very close to the historic center, a 10-15 minute walk to the cathedral or about 25 minutes to the beach; the trainstation that takes you to the airport is within a 10 minute walking distance. We definitely liked our stay and will surely come back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
canada
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Hostel itself is great. The rooms are delightful. The bathrooms are great. The terrace was nice (although part of it was flooded with water from a rainstorm). The common area had a basic kitchen, free coffee/tea, and a fridge where you could help yourself to beer, pop, water etc. on an honour system. The overall design of the place is cute and contemporary. Each door bed had a small safe: enough for small valuables but not a lap top or ipad. The owners are lovely and helpful.

The problem was that for the two nights I stayed I was subjected to drunken revelers in the streets. The first night there were drunk kids singing and yelling at the top of their lungs up and down the streets for more than an hour in the middle of the night, and the next night there were drunken men yelling at each other. It sounded like they were outside my window even as they were a block or two away. Even with the shutters closed and wearing ear plugs, the sound was brutal (and I'm fairly relaxed as you have to be as a hostel traveler!). Maybe their other location is more quiet?

I spent the rest of my time in Spain making sure that all accommodation was quiet and that rooms were away from any main road. The noise was so disappointing because the owners are great, hardworking people who will make you feel at home but I'm not sure they are able to install double-glazed windows any time soon.

Room Tip: If they have rooms away from the street, I would choose those!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Christina K, Owner at Casa Al Sur Terraza, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy you enjoyed our new place. We do try to fill both hostels with what we hope is a clean, relaxing atmosphere. Malaga is a vibrant city with lots of culture, outdoor activities and nightlife, sometimes, like any other city, the weekends can get a bit louder than usual. We hope that because we are in a more relaxed neighborhood, the hostel stays quieter than most, but of course there are always exceptions...specially on the weekends.
Because of this, you will be happy to know that, as predicted, all rooms have been fitted with double glass windows as of today... Thank you again! Saludos!!