“Excellent place!”
Review of Room Mate Larios

Room Mate Larios
Ranked #4 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We went for a week end to Malaga to get some sun and I booked Room Mate Larios after we stayed in the one in Madrid (which was also very good). I ended up booking the Junior suite (212) with an excellent view on the street (3 windows) for the xmas lights and bands/clowns/crowd!

Room was of very high standard, staff were very helpful, all in all a very good place to stay.

I would definitely go back there (in room 212).

Room Tip: Room 212 for me was the one. You don't get to hear the street much with the double glazing, but...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend from 4-7 Nov. I had previously been to Malaga staying at the Molina Lario but I'm glad I booked this hotel this time around, I thought it was good value for money. First impression was very positive, I was allowed an early check-in arriving at 11.30am which was perfect because I had an early morning flight from London and very little sleep the night before and really needed a "siesta". I got to my room on the 2nd floor which was very cosy and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the very lively Plaza de la Constitucion (was even treated to a display of drunken naked male students jumping the in the fountain late Saturday night! :-). My room was very clean and had tasteful modern decor and tall windows with thick double-layer curtains and double-glazing to keep any light and noise out (although you do get some noise from the plaza late at night so you may want to take earplugs just in case). The bed was very comfy with a firm mattress, just how I like it. It took me a while to figure out how the lamps worked and whereas I'm all for energy-saving light bulbs the lighting in the room was a bit too dim. There was a big flat-screen TV but unfortunately no foreign channels whatsoever. It would've been good to have at least one or two channels in English, because I spent quite a bit of time in my room and could've done with some entertainment at times. The location of the hotel is excellent, it's about a 5 minute walk from the bus stop (take the city bus from the airport which is only 2 euros and get off at Alameda Principal near the Paseo del Parque; a taxi will set you back nearly 20 euros) and minutes from shops and tapas bars and the Carmen Thyssen museum which I recommend if you're into art. The breakfast buffet is small but very good. And you can get decent freshly-ground coffee as well which is the one thing I need in the morning so I was happy! There's a choice of 3 fruit juices (orange, peach &pineapple) and water, white & brown toast, white & brown mini baguettes with 2 different cheeses and cooked ham & turkey and jams and honey, 3 different cereals, fresh fruit, rather lovely fluffy mini ring donuts (yum!), a tortilla, some cake and fresh mini pain au chocolat and yoghurt. I liked the breakfast room with the panoramic views of the city center, this was also the bar during the day/evening and it was nice to sit there and relax over a glass of wine after sightseeing. I wasn't sure about the muzak that was played in the bar. I would love it if they played some Spanish music as well to really make you feel like you're in Spain/Andalucia but that's just personal preference. I came over to Malaga especially for a concert this time so I'm quite passionate about my music. Shame the upstairs bar wasn't open during my stay, would've loved to have checked it out. I didn't have too much interaction with the staff. They were mostly softly spoken and just got on with their job. The short guy who serves in the bar during the day is very friendly and the young chap who checked me out early Monday morning was a sweetie and more chatty than the other young guy who was on reception during the day/evening. But, please teach your Saturday night staff (young blonde fellow) how to make tea properly!! I came back with my friends who were visiting from Gibraltar late in the evening for a night cap and when my friend ordered tea with milk she was presented with a pot of warm milk with a tea bag in it! We were quite baffled and asked for him to take it away and do it again only to get redbush tea instead of black tea. Oh well, my friend didn't want to make a fuss so didn't say anything again but hey, it's really not that hard and I'm sure you have a lot of guests from Britain so I think it's quite important your staff knows how to make tea. Just a little thing. Apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and felt very much at home. I will definitely visit again and have already recommended the hotel to a friend of mine who's planning to visit Malaga in January with his new wife! Oh and if you need tips on where to eat, try Clandestino, El Patio and Taberna Cantarrana. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the Plaza
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Lovely first impression, terrific location. But the aircon doesn't work.. in December, with freezing temperatures outside, my room was boiling hot and all the aircon did was make noise. I had to open the window to get cool.

The container in the bathroom, for sanitary bags, fell off the wall when I took one from it. Use better adhesive, please!

The phone calls I made were ridiculously expensive. If they are to be that expensive, the rates should be made available to guests. In fact, practically no information was made available about anything.

There is a busy club on the first floor - maybe not the place to stay if you want peace and quiet.

Breakfast was at least cheaper than average for hotels.. still overpriced, in my opinion. Still, given the location, you wouldn't starve!

Staff were very friendly and the decor is lovely. I wouldn't stay again though.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed at Room Mate Larios in November before taking a cruise. It was excellent in every way and we highly recommend the hotel! We had a balcony overlooking the street which was great to "see and hear" the beautiful and lively city center. We definitely will stay here again.

Martel

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We booked a junior suite. We got a huge room #203 on the corner of Valle Latinos and constitution plaza. We had a great view of all the people out walking, talking, shopping and singing groups on the weekend.
The hotel is in the center of the pedestrian zone, tapas bar heaven.
The breakfast was nice, excellent coffee machine.
Friendly, helpful, bilingual front desk staff.
You won't be sorry if you pick Roommate Larios.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank donato1899
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We decided to spend a week basing ourselves in Malaga. We read the reviews ( thanks Trip Advisor reviewers )about a number of hotels and selected this one. All the hotels we considered were within a few hundred metres of each other. Larios is centrally based and convenient for city centre attractions. I am not sure I liked the greeting at the entrance saying " Come up and stay with me tonight ". It is hardly something I would expect a reasonable hotel to have but no doubt Room Mates marketers thought otherwise. The reception area is also the sitting area, the bar and the breakfast area. It is very stylish and very comfortable. Reception was excellent. Indeed, all the staff without exception were incredibly helpful and charming - nothing was too much trouble.The best staff I have ever come across. Breakfast was fine and the coffee excellent - a rare event for hotel breakfasts. Our room was clean,spacious and stylish. The shower powerful with plenty of hot water. A nice TV but no English channel. No information in the room about anything so we asked at reception and after making enquiries the receptionist told us that there used to be an English channel but for some reason there was no longer one. We found it amazing that a 4 star hotel with an international client base should be like this in 2011. It is very useful at the end of a day sight seeing to relax and catch up with what has happened in the world during the day even if the channel provided is only CNN. We were there for a week and found it very difficult because the lighting in the bedroom was very poor and it was difficult to read. If we had been there for a night or two we would not have been so bothered about it - but a week!.

Larios has a fabulous roof terrace with lovely views of the Cathedral especailly at night. It was open for the first night and then closed for 3 nights because of bad weather but in fact never reopened when the weather improved.

I am all for helping the environment but was not impressed to find out that our sheets were not changed after 4 nights. In order to have clean sheets you need to make a request. How long would it be left before you were given clean sheets? Again this is not a problem for you if you are only staying for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Try not to overlook the main street which although traffic free can be noisy all through the night
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katharine186300
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Excellent room with three balconies!!!
Lovely, spacious and airy.
Bed very large and good mattress.
The location is fantastic - lots of lovely views from the roof bar and in the centre of all the hubbub of city life.
Definitely will return.