“Appalling service to a disabled customer”

Julia Travel Costa Del Sol
$57.75*
Gibraltar Sightseeing Day Trip from Malaga
Ranked #93 of 116 Tours in Malaga
More attraction details
Owner description: Julia Travel is a Spanish company with more than 80 years of experience dedicated to incoming tourism in Spain and deals both with the tourism industry and directly with tourists. We offer half/one day tours in Costa del Sol and surroundings on our confortable buses and always with a bilingual guide who provides all information and more to fully enjoy the trip!
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked a day trip to Alambra palace, and asked in advance for a seat on the coach with leg room. We arrived at the bus stop for pick up, only a few people there, when the coach arrived the guide ignored the que. When I tried to speak to him in Spanish about my request he told me to wait and promptly boarded those from the back of the que. I did not get my request.
On arrival at the palace we were hearded into batches, he called for English first, but I was waiting for my friends, I thought he was taking off with out us, so I approached him asking if we needed to join him, again abruptly he said wait, putting his hand on my shoulder to stop me moving forward which I was not going to do. I had to ask him to remove his hands, my friends were shocked. We joined another guide who was absolutely superb and ver keen to share his knowledge, making our tour enjoyable. On the way home I did not get my seat requested on the coach, so ended my day stiff and in a lot of pain. I would not book any further tours with this company.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

They left us standing at the side of the road at our pick up point for over 2 hours.Another couple had been waiting there aswell with us.We were supposed to be picked up at 6:50 am in front of our apartments Benal beach apartments under the arch, we had been waiting since 6:35 am.We called around 7:15 am to see where they were and when they would be on there way to get us, as they were already quite late. They told us when we called they would be there in 10 minutes, we waited for over an hour from the point we called then we finally got the hint that they were not coming so we left the pick up point at around 8:45 to make our way back to the apartments to make some phone calls about getting our money back, when we called they insisted that it was all our fault that this happened and were extremely rude and unhelpful,Not only that they lied to us and told us someone had come at 6:55, they told us they went into reception to see where we were, I have been reassured more than once now that NO ONE ever came that day to reception at Benal beach at that time and this has been confirmed over 5 times since this even happened. This happened on the 6th of May and we are still waiting for our money back, This company is an absolute disgrace of a company, they have no consideration for the fact that people pay good money to go on these trips and make plans around what they are doing each day so they get all they want out of their trip, I am so upset that this has been allowed to happen and we are still waiting to be compensated for this mistake, no one has taken responsibility for this error, We booked through Viator and they have been just has unhelpful, They keep telling us they will be refunding our money but nothing has come from this. My advice would be to steer clear of this company and Viator as no one is willing to except they have made a mistake. They think they can mess around with people's time and money and it is not acceptable. Please for your own sake do not book with this company.

3  Thank Julesxavier21
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Firstly I will start by saying that I am reviewing Julia Travel in Malaga here - not the attraction itself - that is why I have given them a poor review. If I was rating Granada and the Alhambra Palace I would give it an excellent review as it is a wonderful place to visit.

Booked this trip through Viator travel (the trip was organised locally with Julia Travel). I had been on a trip to Montserrat previously with Julia Travel in Barcelona which was excellent so had no worries about this one) Our paperwork informed us where to collect the coach in Malaga and said that we had to be at the bus stop for 07.45 where the Julia rep would be waiting for us. We waited at the stop with another couple who were told to be there for 08.00! We waited for the Julia rep to arrive but they didn't and we started to worry until the coach finally arrived at 08.15 with the rep on board the coach.

The rep spoke excellently in four languages but however when we arrived at the Alhambra Palace he was very disorganised. They separated the whole coach into different groups (which were led by the Alhambra guide) however the Julia Rep walked off and did not explain to anyone where we should meet the coach again after the tour.

The Alhambra guide was very well informed however we felt very rushed around (tour lasted 3 hours with one small break halfway through which wasn't really long enough) My elderly mother did well to stay up with the guide who walked very fast around the Palace. The headsets that we wore to listen to the commentary were not very good at all and only picked up what the guide was saying if you stood fairly close to her. She did not check to see that the people at the back of the group were keeping up and there were many steps to climb, so this tour would not be very suitable for anyone with a disability (something which is NOT stated when you book the tour!)

After the tour the Alhambra guide told us that we could either meet back with the coach in the car park, walk down into Granada or catch the little electric train. As we were really unsure about what to do (as our Julia rep hadn't explained any of this when dropping us off) we decided to go back to the coach. Thank goodness we all did because the coach then left immediately for Granada town centre. Had we not done this, we would have been stranded at the Alhambra!!

On arriving in Granada the rep told us that we had just over two hours to look around Granada (not nearly long enough). He told us the rough direction to walk in to get to the old quarter and the cathedral and that he would see everyone back at the coach two hours later. After having got lost a couple of times (his directions were useless) we finally found the Cathedral, which was the one thing we really did want to see in Granada. We were so disappointed, however to find that the Cathedral shuts every day at 1.15pm and doesn't open again until 4pm. We were so cross as we were due back at the coach at 4pm and the guide had not told us the Cathedral would be shut. Surely this is basic information that a local tour guide should know about so he can inform his coach party before they embark on a wasted journey. I also think he could have given everyone a map of Granada and pointed out the main landmarks. When we arrived back at the coach we told him that we were cross that he hadn't told us that the cathedral was shut and he just shrugged his shoulders as if he couldn't be bothered.

Overall we did enjoy the Alhambra Palace it was a fantastic place to visit but not impressed with the guide from Julia Travel Malaga - book with them at your own risk!!!

1  Thank LindaWestMidlands
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had one day to visit either Cordoba or Granada - tickets to the Alhambra were sold out far in advance so our only option was to book a tour. We had a terrible experience with the booking process for a tour of Granada which was via Viator with Julia Travel being the company contracted for the tour. Viator confirmed our reservation online and sent us a voucher for the tour. Then a few days later, AFTER we booked our train and hotel to Malaga, they sent an email saying the tour was cancelled, blaming the vendor so we immediately called Julia Travel directly. But the person we spoke to at Julia Travel said she couldn't find the tour at all in their system, could not find our name or confirmation number so we'd have to call back on Monday to talk to someone else, which was a few days later! We were completely frustrated because at this point, there were no other tickets available to see the Alhambra on the days we planned to be there. But when we called Julia Travel back again the following week, they said we were confirmed for the tour as "they had some cancellations" so our booking was fine. We're not sure if they would have proactively called us but we were happy to have the chance to go.

The trip was on a huge coach bus and our crowd seemed to have been mostly a retiree crowd who came from a Trans-Atlantic cruise. We rarely ever do big group tours but the other guests were nice. The guided tour of the Alhambra was only 2.5 hours which was not nearly enough time to see the complex. We definitely felt rushed through the rooms and we would have liked to have more time in the gardens at the end.

The tour takes you to the vista point San Nicholas (excellent location) but then wastes a lot of time getting you back down to a bus stop down in a boring but traffic-jammed part of the city center. We ended spending our time walking back up to the Albacin after all that and felt that this dramatically improved our trip experience as the Albacin is fantastic but no one else in our group did this (the Julia travel coordinator on our bus even discouraged us from doing this). However, Granada has little to see otherwise beside the royal chapel and tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella. We felt quite rushed through the main tour and this was certainly not comfortable, which is probably why we avoid doing large tours (nobody else seemed bothered by this) but this was the only way for us to see the Alhambra as individual tickets hat been sold out for weeks. Apparently, what they say about the Alhambra is true: it seems they sell out WAY in advance - and we went in late April which is not even considered peak season!

This was clearly one of the highlights of our trip to Spain - definitely a must see if possible but book the trip early. Had we had planned things out earlier, we would not have resorted to using Viator/Julia Travel - we would have taken the public bus on our own from Malaga to Granada and booked a guided tour of Alhambra which is possible when done far in advance. (The tour guide Julia Travel used was one of these guides anyway. The guide herself was good.) Don't count on getting one of the few day-of tickets that are available by waiting in line. We were told by locals that people camp out from midnight until the office opens in the morning in order to get one of those tickets! Can't stress this enough: get your tickets of Alhambra as early as possible!

2  Thank ocphotographer
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We used Julia travels for both these trips..... Gibraltar and Tangier. I believe for the amount we paid, it was worth the trip.
Gibraltar - We were picked up from the bus stop in Calahonda off Highway A7. The bus arrived right on time and we made 2 more pickups before we landed in Gibraltar. We went through immigration and was in the bus park within 10 min after crossing the border. We were given about 1 1/2 hr to wander around the center of town and then we were given a tour in a smaller bus. We saw whatever was promised in the itinerary and was driven back to the same spot as our pick up. We did not get to see everything in Gibraltar but we knew that before we signed up for the tour.
Tangier - Again, we were picked up from the same spot as before. We made 3 other stops before going to Tarifa to board the ferry for Tangier. Once we got there, we went through immigration and boarded a bus which took us around. Again, we hit all the stops written on the itinerary. In the Medina, we were followed around by hawkers, but that is expected. We were taken to a Rug store and a Spice store where they tried to sell us things but they did not pressure anyone to buy anything. Yes, I would have liked to spend more time in the Medina on my own, but since the alleyways were so small and there were no clear street signs, I was glad I took the tour with someone local. {If anyone wants a more customized tour, they need to hire a private local guide and I am sure you will not have to go to places or see things you do not want to see}. Overall, I am happy with the service provided and that was why we used Julia travels for both trips.

1  Thank Kar C