“Long day, but cool to see”

Julia Travel Costa Del Sol
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
5-Day Morocco Tour: Casablanca, Marrakech...
Ranked #99 of 118 Tours in Malaga
More attraction details
Owner description: Julia Travel is a Spanish company with more than 80 years of experience dedicated to incoming tourism in Spain and deals both with the tourism industry and directly with tourists. We offer half/one day tours in Costa del Sol and surroundings on our confortable buses and always with a bilingual guide who provides all information and more to fully enjoy the trip!
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Parts of the trip were a 1 out of 5, but others were higher so I was generous and gave it a 3.

Bus pick up in Malaga was 5:00 a.m. with several stops before getting to Tarifa to catch the ferry at 9:00. If we had known the the length of time with pick ups we would have driven and grabbed a ferry. Tour guides were informative and nice but I would have to agree with other reviewers that some of the highlights were not that great. Seemed like the local guide in Tangiers could have done more to keep the harassment at bay.

Favorite part of the trip was the lunch at Restaurant Hamadi in the "Kasbah" with great food, service and local musicians. This was the one point where we could relax and not be pressured.

Totally disliked being taken to a group "sit down" sales pitch for berber carpets that was mandatory. (tried to leave and were escorted back upstairs) Also not impressed with the same at a spice market. Felt like our money was being directed where they wanted us to spend it for their benefit, not ours.

Felt that the overall explanation of the trip purchased through Viator was too misleading about what is included in the trip. Viator/Julia Travel should omit the carpet and spice presentations and allow more sightseeing in local shops that are not covered with street vendors.

1  Thank Jill J
in 3 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The three hours spent in Gibraltar were fine however the tour was a bit rushed. Had free time to get lunch and walk around the town which was nice. The reason I would not recommend this tour from Malaga is the time it takes to get there and back due to all of the pick ups along the way. It took us four hours to get to Gibraltar after stopping at every resort along the way. It didn't seem worth it in the end. Gibraltar is an interesting place to visit but would have been better hiring a car and cutting out some of the travelling time.

1  Thank Noangelsuze
Reviewed March 3, 2014

After reading all the reviews about Julia travel we weren't expecting much, although I thought some of the reviewers were unfairly rating them because of the destination, which isn't the fault of the tour company. We were staying in Malaga and decided our best option was to take tours to Gibraltar and Granada as the bus and train services weren't as convenient. The pick up time for both tours was 8.00 am and the pick up was only a 10 minutes walk from our hotel in the Larios Centre. Both tours arrived exactly on time. The Gibraltar trip did take 3 hours to get there, but we were the first on the bus. If we had gone from Marbella it would have only taken an hour. We drove over the Spain/Gibraltar border into the city centre bus station, had about 2 hours in the town until our mini bus trip up the rock. That was great, we went to Europa Point first and had a few minutes to take pictures. We then went to a magnificent cave full of stalactites and stalagmites. We then went to see the monkeys, before going to the WWII tunnels. The tunnel tour was an option we didn't choose at first, but I would highly recommend it. It would have cost only 3 Euros extra to book it initially, and then 15 Euros to book it on the bus, but we only decided to go towards the end of the trip when we realised we would just be hanging around at the bus station waiting for the ones from the tunnels to get back to the bus. This cost us £8 each, so it's better to book it from the start. It was an 11 hour day, so quite exhausting, I don't know how the drivers and guides do it every day. Our trip to Granada took only 2 hours, as there were other pickups before us. Again, the trip was great. We were taken straight to the Alhambra to start our 3 hour tour. It is an amazing place and the guide who showed us round was excellent. They break the tours up into individual languages, so everything doesn't have to be repeated. We then went into Granada for one and a half hours, but I wouldn't recommend booking the tour with lunch or you wouldn't have time to see anything. Then we went up into the hills to a Moorish quarter with wonderful views of the Alhambra. This again was an 11 hour day, but both tours were well worth it and we would never have found out so many interesting facts if we had undertaken the tours on our own. We were given a packed breakfast by our hotel on our trip to Granada as it was a bank holiday and the breakfast room wasn't open when we left. We were eating it on the bus when we were told it was not allowed and we would be having a stop for breakfast at about 9.00 am. Had we known it was forbidden to eat on the bus it wouldn't have been a problem, but I think this should be made plain in the booking, or even on the window stickers to avoid embarrassment. Having been on many bus trips, it isn't something we have come across before.

1  Thank LynneYork
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Pickup took a long time like everyone says. But this was known beforehand and not a surprise so I find it acceptable.

Tangier also seemed like a very interesting place. We had a guide in the bus who knew a lot about it and the bus drive part was quite interesting.

The really disappointing part was Kasbah, which proved to be just a sales trip. They obviously have profitable deals with some shops and time spent shopping was way too high compared to actually experiencing the place. I recall the guide commenting one time during this part only. There must be more interesting in this historical place.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited the Costa del Sol in December. I traveled alone and this was my first trip to Spain. I took the Julia tours to Gibraltar, Granada and Cordoba. (Unfortunately this was the only tour company my hotel could provide information about.) The Gibraltar tour was the best by far since once we arrived in Gibraltar, the tour was conducted by another company. The guide, whose name I don't remember unfortunately, (but he's going to retire in about 6 months), was informative and interesting. The Granada and Cordoba tours were all Julia, and as others have stated, we spent 1-2 hours picking up other participants from Marbella to Malaga and many places in between. The information provided about each tour was very limited. The Granada tour involved 2.5 hours of walking, some of which was on an the incline; the Cordoba tour involved 2 hours of walking. Fortunately I was able to do it, but some other older people, some with canes, were not able to do that much walking. I have no idea why they don't include this information in the description of their tours. However, the tours of the Alhambra in Granada and the Mosque in Cordoba were very good. I'd recommend visiting them with another tour company. I plan to return to Spain, but I certainly won't go on another Julia tour.

2  Thank Erica P