“What a huge disappointment.”
Review of La Consula

La Consula
Ranked #172 of 2,608 Restaurants in Malaga
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2015

Every year we plan a special Christmas day out for our closest friends, so when I heard about La Consula teaching school and restaurant near Malaga, I was very excited, as it sounded wonderful and had fantastic reviews.
I booked the special "tasting" lunch there for 10 people on Friday Dec 11th almost 2 months ago, and then arranged all the rest of the day's activities - as well as hiring a minibus - around that.
This week I tried to ring the school to confirm the booking, but got no answer for 3 days. By now I was getting a bit worried, so yesterday I emailed them.
Tonight (with 1 day left to go before we were due to go there) I received an email to say "sorry, we've had to cancel your reservation as the staff are on strike".
Shocked at how late in the day they'd left it to cancel on me, I rang the school. Someone (a student? Teacher?) answered and abruptly told me that "the Government won't pay so the school is closed for the near future". No apology, no embarrassment, no help with finding an alternative venue at such short notice - not bothered at all.
While I appreciate the school may well be in financial difficulty, it's still very bad service (and rude) to cancel so late - and then I only found out because I emailed them.
What if we had gone there on the day with our 8 guests?
It's a great shame, but I would be very wary of booking there next time (if it ever opens again) and I would definitely not take a large group of people along in case they cancelled it again.

1  Thank fruitygirl1958

Reviewed December 7, 2015

We had booked and were really looking forward to our lunch on the 16th December but were contacted last week, and the booking canceled as the restaurant will be closed with immediate effect. Hope they can sort out the problems and maybe open again

Reviewed November 15, 2015

It was a pleasure to be waited on and looked after by these young people embarking on a career in high-end catering. Our experience was certainly high-end regarding the standard of service, aperitif, menu, food and wine. We would have liked to be able to meet and to congratulate the young chefs because they deserved high praise. Seven courses (including) a couple of amuse bouche and coffee with petit fours...... the cost (including wine appropriate for the dishes) was 35 euros per head.

Reviewed November 3, 2015

We have been visiting this restaurant for many years. Set in a cookery school in Ernest Hemingway's old house at Churriana, outside Malaga, it has become a favourite. The dining room is in an impressive modern structure by the house with views over the lovely gardens. The cooking and service is always to a high standard. It is very good value. It is fun to talk to the students embarking on their careers, and walk in the gardens after lunch.

Reviewed October 27, 2015

Return taxi 40euros from Larios to La Consula (15 mins.) Arrived 1.30pm for 2pm table. Offered an aperitif of our choice from wide range as we sat at the bar. Then a fabulous degustation menu including white and red Spanish wines. Cost 69euros for 2. One of finest meals we've had ~ anywhere. Wonderful service from young staff. Will be back on our return to Malaga.