“A Unique Collection”

Malaga Glass and Crystal Museum Admission Ticket
Ranked #3 of 222 things to do in Malaga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The museum is located in a crefully restored 18th century house, where we can browse through the history of humanity by means of the glass. Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday, from 11am to 7pm.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My wife and I, along with 2 friends visited this museum on the recommendation we read on TA. It certainly was a highlight of our trip to Malaga. Our friends had previously sold glass in a shop in England and were especially interested and were definitely not disappointed with the range of the exhibits. Also to get a personal escorted tour of the museum by Prof. ian Phillips, of of the co-owners is a special treat.

1  Thank pavoreal

Reviewed March 4, 2011

This museum was definitely worth a visit, though I'm really not quite sure why this is the number one rated attraction for the sole reason that it covers a very specific subject: the history of glass and crystal. Beyond that, the staff was extremely friendly, tours were available in multiple languages, and all tours were guided. It is only 4 euro per person and is about a 50 minute tour. We got to the museum 30 minutes before it closed and they still took us around, which was wonderful. The history is really interesting (both of the subject and how the museum came to be) and all of the pieces are set with paintings & furniture from their same era. I definitely learned a lot!

2  Thank meeshy9842
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I honestly did not know what to expect but knew it was the highest rated attraction on TripAdvisor so we went for it. We were only in Malaga for 2 days so on our first day we went to the 2 castles, the Picasso museum and this museum for our activities. I have to say that I'm not particularly interested in the subject matter (glass of all kinds, antiques, etc) though this was a very engaging and thorough tour. They have artifacts that they use to walk you through the history of glass over the last 2000-2500 years and learning about the technological developments and styles in various periods was pretty fascinating. We got there only a half hour before they closed and were told it would be a 50 minute tour. Since we were the only people there it was a personal tour and, even though we were technically there after their closing time, the guide gave us a very nice tour of the collection. I have to say, the story of how this place came together was about as interesting to me as the collection itself. Really a cultural and historical gem. After about 45-50 minutes, we were off to the Picasso museum which is nearby-ish.

Bottom line, if you're on limited time and not already interested by this subject matter, there's probably something else for you to enjoy in Malaga. Otherwise, well worth the 4 euros per person.

Reviewed February 10, 2011

My sister and I shared a guided tour with just one other person when we visited. The setting of a beautiful family home gave a perfect background to the displays,especially since our first guide was the latest member of this family, giving a very personal atmosphere. Our second,( English) guide was delightful, telling the stories behind the exhibits, linking them to the people in paintings or the family, bringing a wealth of knowledge and experience to us in a gentle and unpretentious manner. I will certainly go again - there was so much to take in. My tip - don't rush, absorb the atmosphere.

1  Thank lynncollard
Reviewed January 24, 2011

If anyone is in the Malaga area of Spain I would highly recommend a visit to this museum.
The museum is set in an old traditional Moorish style villa about 15 minutes walk from the city centre.The villa has been privately and beautifully restored by the owners and displays a large collection of paintings,glassware,furniture,stained glass and personal objects from a number of eras,all set in a series of intimate rooms.
The owners are extremely knowledgeable about the artifacts they have collected over a number of decades and are happy to personally show individuals and small groups around.
However it is strongly advisable, and courteous, to contact the museum in advance if you do not speak Spanish and the owners will make sure someone is there to guide you in English,this may well be one of the owners themselves.You can do this on the day you intend to visit.
(Someone recently wrote a critical report because they joined a group of Spanish people for the tour and did not understand the information,however this is a Spanish museum in a Spanish city!)
Brochures can be collected at most tourist information offices in the surrounding area,a map is advisable to help find the location within Malaga city. Or you can telephone the museum on 952 221 949 or e-mail on museovidriomalaga@gmail.com
At the time of writing the entrance fee per person is 4e.Concessions exist for children,pensioners and groups.
I highly recommend a visit.

2  Thank nosduh