“Wonderfully inventive tapas in a tiny bar so popular that you must book”
Review of Tapeo de Cervantes

Tapeo de Cervantes
Ranked #7 of 2,013 Restaurants in Malaga
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Schedule:18:00 to 24:00 Closed on Mondays. Horarios:18:00 a 24.00 Cerrado los lunes
Mijas
“Wonderfully inventive tapas in a tiny bar so popular that you must book”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My recent visit was my 27th in over 10 years- since before Gabriel and his family arrived from Argentina to take over the bar and explode onto the Malaga scene. There would have been more, but the bar is so small that we have often been turned away when we arrived without a booking. The service has always been attentive and welcoming, but the true measure of the success of the Tapeo de Cervantes is that Gabriel and his team just keep working at improving the food and wine offerings. It is now truly inventive. I wish I could keep it all to myself, but sadly it has to be shared. So just call 952 609 458.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Limerick, Ireland
“An authentic experience with great character”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I choose this spot as a result of trip advisor and it did not disappoint. We sampled the tapas menu, generally about 10 for 2 people and you will be full. We choose a Rioja to compliment the meal, wine options were a little limited in comparison to other places we'd been for dinner and a bit more expensive but very nice at the same time. We reserved our table as it was full when we called initially.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Even better second time!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went back the next day and enjoyed medias raciones of some of the best of the tapas we'd had the first time - and enjoyed it even more! As well as the superb food, the local red wine is very good value, and the the friendly service and the great atmosphere made for a memorable evening. Go early (opens 7.30pm) and the very small room quickly fills up.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best tapas in Andalucia”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Truly the best tapas I had on my 9 day trip in Andalucia!! It's a mix of modern and traditional tapas - I suggest trying as many as you can. I particularly liked the fish and prawn tapas, but everything I tried was delicious!
The restaurant is very small, traditional looking with lovely atmosphere and situated on a quiet street away from the touristy restaurants.

• Visited September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Devices and desires.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We searched Tripadvisor and we fetched up at Tapeo de Cervantes #1restaurant in Malaga according to the reviews. We arrived at 7.29 without booking and the steel doors were only just being opened. There were two people in front of us and a small queue quickly formed behind. Luckily they took a sympathetic line and let us in, but thereafter he spent much of his time turning people away. As many others have noted, it’s tiny, in fact it resembles a rather exotic railway carriage but the atmosphere is so lively and friendly it’s impossible not to fall in love with the place! Mercifully, Gabriel speaks really good English, 'though none of the others appeared to. We ordered ten tapas on his advice as we really didn’t have a clue what things were; but later increased that to 11, and by the third dish we'd already booked a table for the next day so this review is based on two consecutive visits. The food was impeccable and without listing it all, the highlights included the deep fried prawns - not because they're so hard to do, but because the oil was fresh and unobtrusive, a small difference that made the world of difference. The slow cooked pig's cheek similarly came sliced and with the tougher connective bits removed. White beans and a touch of fresh chilli lifted the dish above the competition, which turns out the same dish across the city. Once again attention to detail made the experience. My personal favourite was a dish of grilled ceps with asparagus ( fresh from the local market) and shreds of local ham.

For hardcore afficionados of traditional tapas I imagine some of the food here would be off-piste; but we loved the daring flavour combinations. It’s hard to imagine a better introduction to tapas and, like all the best meals it made me want to cook. Loved it!

• Visited February 2013