“Walk on by...and don't eat at the beach restaurant”

Playa de La Malagueta
Ranked #29 of 215 things to do in Malaga
Europe
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Walk on by...and don't eat at the beach restaurant”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice for an out of season walk in the sun, looking at the sun on the sea; just don't look too close. Sand is coarse and dirty. and sea looks unclean.
We ate at the chiringuito "La Malagueta". The sardines grilled on the beach fire were fine, though quite small. The paella was inedible; we each took a spoonful, then a second one,in disbelief. It had a very strange taste; extremely unpleasant.
So we ordered some fried baby squid. Mostly very greasy batter. maybe the oil wasn't hot enough, or just used too often. The owner/waiter didn't make any comment on our virtually untouched paella. Maybe he's used to it being uneaten!

Visited November 2012

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Work in progress”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Yes, when reading the reviews I see where some of the negative comments are coming from. However, it is an urban beach, made of darkish coarse sand (imported, I believe). It's not as pretty as the city beach in Alicante, for example, but it does have adequate showers, and the chiringuitos are good fun and good value. (Chemical toilets in some, so not too good if you are disabled.) However, I think the authorities are trying hard to improve this beach, and the views are pretty amazing. If you walk in an easterly direction, you will pass through the local playground of Pedregalejo and eventually arrive at El Palo. I would say this is actually about five miles, though the city websites indicate less. Alternatively, get a bus - number 11, I think - from the beginning of the Paseo del Parque. Overall, I found it enjoyable and not the nightmare stuff of some reviews. I enjoyed the parakeets in the palm trees, though local people have understandably got fed up with them! I have swum here, and I think as long as you shower it is safe to do so. I certainly intend to go there again and try out more of the chiringuitos.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank BradfordBuzzard
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“No other word but 'minging'!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Luckily, we only had a short stay in Malaga before our flight home. We decided to spend a day at the beach. Well, we got there and it seemed ok. I expected it to be busy and I've no problem with that, but it was just dirty. Cigarette ends everywhere (and this is coming from a smoker) and we arrived early, is it ever cleaned? We went in the sea and it was just vile. We'd been to a beach near Nerja the previous week and I couldn't believe I was looking at the same stretch of water! Rubbish floating in it, murky, just not a nice place. We did stay the day, on our sun loungers, when my partner suggested we go back in the sea we walked to the edge and decided we couldn't face it!

There were people swimming in it, and fine if you're ok with that, but I'm not. I've seen nicer waters in Blackpool! If you want to visit a beach, take a day trip out away from the city.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Jo G
Craiova, Romania
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“wonderful beach”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

From my point of view it is a wonderful beach, although it is an urban beach. There are more wonderful beaches in the nearby resorts, like Nerja or Marbella, but if you are in Malaga, the Malagueta beach is a must see.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank aurelian77
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Bad very bad beach”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a dirty bad beach with very strange people. There are also some noisy stupid little bandids who make noise and are agressive in the beach, especially at the weekends. The old town in Malaga is OK but the rest you can forget. Especially in the beach there are often people who are not educated, impolite, religious fanatics towards muslims, and very strange towards tourists, yet the city is so dependent from tourists. It is police often to be seen, but you don't want to go with bodyguards on holidays. Strange! If you want a good beach, go to Marbella, forget Malaga as every penny you spend you feel a pity whom you support financially through tourism.

Visited July 2012