“Lovely Marriott Vacation Club”

Marriott's Playa Andaluza
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Estepona
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I just returned from a week at the Marriott Playa Andaluza. We had a great time in Spain and this property was perfect for what we wanted and needed. We received absolutely fabulous service from everyone we dealt with, with special acknowledgement to the fantastic staff at the concierge desk, who offered us assistance with excursions, directions to various attractions, dining recommendations and overall help with everything we needed.
One thing that I must make note of is the front desk and concierge desk knowing who I was from day one. After checking in, any time I came to the front, I was greeted by name. Where have you ever heard of that? Extraordinary! It made me feel important and special, which never happens in the travel and hospitality industry anymore. Hats off to all of them.
We stayed in a 2B/2BA villa in the Granada building. The room was of the quality I have come to expect as an owner in the MVC group. As an owner at another MVC property, I was given a pre arrival request email, which allowed me to request a location within the complex where I wanted to stay. Not sure this is available to everyone, but I asked for sea view, high floor, morning sun and in the Granada building. I got what I requested.
We rented a car in Malaga upon arrival and drove down, which then allowed us the ability to explore the area and go to restaurants and such on our own. The property itself is not within walking distance of very much, so you will have to have a car, or use taxis or the bus. It is pretty easy to get around by car, so that is my recommendation if you want to go to Marbella or Puerto Banus.
The hotel itself has a decent restaurant, Solera, which we ate at a couple of times (mostly just lunch). We did go on Tuesday night to see the Flamenco show, which was ok for 6.5 euro. I wouldn't go out of my way to go see it, but if you are on property that night, it is a decent show.
The weather was not conducive to beach or pool while we were there, but we did walk the beach. It is very rocky and windy. I would imagine they do more work on it in season. They have an indoor pool with hot tubs, although we did not use it.
They have a nice gym with new equipment, all clean and in good working order.
The grounds are impeccably maintained and even though the weather was not beach/pool warm, all pools were operational and spotlessly clean.
We booked tours through the concierge for Morocco, Gibraltar and the Ronda/White towns with an add on to the Joaquin Fernandez winery. I would recommend all of them. The ease of having everything handled and the bus just showing up to pick you up was very convenient. And you knew they were reputable companies as Marriott recommended them. We really loved the Morocco trip. They work all the custom paperwork for you, so you pass through border control very easily. This is important, because if you go there by yourself, you have to go through Moroccan customs and I have heard this can be a bit hairy in Tangier. It's a good one day glimpse at that part of the world, although controlled with a guide. If you have never been to Morocco, it is a nice little intro. Be prepared for the peddlers. They are all over you, but if you ignore them and keep moving, you will be fine.
Gibraltar was fun. I have read from others that it is not worth it, but we had a great guide who made it enjoyable. You get to see the monkeys (of course) and some fantastic views of the straight of Gibraltar, Mediterranean and Atlantic oceans. You get free time in the main square, where you can get a fish and chips with a pint of ale (I recommend Roys). A nice British break.
The Ronda trip was unique in that it is a private jeep tour with a group as small as 3 people. You get to see the village of Ronda plus have lunch in one of the ancient white villages. We mused at the realization that the whole town where we ate had a population of less people than my sons middle school. The extra trip to the winery was very nice. It is a small, organic winery and we met Joaquin himself, had a generous wine tasting with a nice tapas spread.
Please see my other reviews for more details about these side trips and restaurants/visits to Marbella and Puerto Banus. We also went to Selwo animal park (disappointing) and did the cable car in Malaga (fun).
Overall, this was a great trip and the Marriott was a good home base for our outings. If you are looking for a quiet, spacious place to call home while you see the sites of Costa del Sol, then this is the place for you. If you are looking for lively, energetic resort with tons of things happening, you should look elsewhere. For us, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Granada to be central on the property.
6  Thank DelcoMom
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Playa Andaluza

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The resort is excellent. Spacious apartments, and fully equipped with everything you need. Beds are amazing, and every room is equipped with flat panel TV. Only reason for not giving it excellent rating is for the following:

- The restaurant is disappointing. We have eaten there a couple of times, but never been very satisfied. Food is expensive, and mediocre. Only good experience I recall was the tapas night, though the live music was very loud an awful (my taste). If you want good food, go to Benahavis, San Pedro De Alcantara, Marbella, or cook it yourself. They even now have a barbecue area build, with two large barbecues that you can use free of charge. I've heard that there is an excellent butcher near Los Aqueros. Have to try that next time.

- The surroundings are not very nice. A part of the area looks abandoned and wrecked, which is sad.

- The beach is not very nice for bathing. Go to Marbella instead.

In summary, highly recommendable resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

. First time to this resort will certainly try to go back. 2 bed 2 bath with fab decor and furnishings. Good gym with nice indoor pool area. O/S pool with lots of sunbeds, nice and comfy.Nice beach area, beware of Chinese masseurs. Get the VIP card and book, lots of good restaurants are recommended. The best were Guey(Way) and La Fiorentina. Also a must is to visit the small village on Benahavis for lunch, A car is essential to get around, to see all there is in the surrounding area, also much cheaper than getting a taxi to and from the airport..

Room Tip: Try get the Alhambra block
3  Thank ibbo01
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have visited this resort and I think it was even better this time! Arrived mid afternoon Sunday and was promptly checked in. Apartment was two bed and extremely clean with everything you expect from a Marriott. Unfortunately we had rain for most of the week so didn't get to experience the outdoor pools, the main one was being repaired. It was great to have the gym and indoor pool and again these were very clean. We didn't use the onsite spa as we thought it was a bit pricey. Staff were extremely friendly in the bar and restaurant and the food served was lovely, the Flamenco evening made a nice change. I would agree with others that eating places within walking distance are in short supply, however if you are prepared to drive then there are some great places around. All in all a great week away and look forward to returning, hopefully when the sun is shining!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We has just had a very wet but lovely week here.Having stayed at many Marriott places before we always expect great service but I felt this place deserved a special mention. The staff were wonderful all so pleasant and helpful.Our apartment was immaculate, the grounds were really well maintained.The food in the restaurant was absolutely superb and the service was excellent.Keep up the great work Playa Andaluza!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Marriot resort is about 45 minutes drive from Malaga Airport down the A7 Motorway, it is easy to find and the directions we were given were clear with good checkpoints, however be warned that Spanish Motorways have less warning of junctions and turn offs than UK /Dutch/German M Ways. Also stay off the AP-7 which I believe is a toll road.

The resort is 5 star, it is an impressive location, and the apartment we had was two bedrooms for my wife and I , our two year old, and my mother in law. The apartment has a lounge and kitchen diner, utility room, and two bedrooms and two bathrooms , ours had a huge bath, and shower, the other one was a bath & shower as well. The standard of furnishing and décor is very high, all rooms had TV,s and we had a DVD player as well, with international as well as Spanish channels. The kitchen was super equipped with cookers, dishwasher, fridge freezer, utensils., glasses, cook ware, microwave, and more, so you can easily cook, and buy your own food. We were first floor, and the buildings have basement parking which there are lifts down to, very convenient for large amounts of luggage we were carrying. Check in was a delight , quick, convenient, prepared, no form filling etc. There is a convenient little supermarket on site you can juts bill what you but to your room. There is a very plush indoor heated pool, with multiple Jacuzzis , kids pool, and very modern gym and saunas all to a very high standard of equipment.

There is a dining area (casual) and bar with some nice staff , who are polite,efficient, and well trained , the food is very good there and well priced , again you can charge direct to your room.
I ordered flowers as a mothers day gift from my son to my wife , the staff organised this without any issues at all.

There are two kids areas with ball pools, and toys etc which were well equipped, safe, and very clean, in terms of facilities, its hard to fault the place, there are also tennis courts, ping pong tables, giant chess and draughts boards, outdoor pools and outdoor kids pools, and so on .

Externally it is very Spanish in style (nice) and the gardens and layout of the buildings is very impressive, and absolutely immaculate.

My minor issues are the following, the beach fronting it was stony , gravelly, and not all that attractive, there were a few niggles at night with the power turning off at night, also there was some work going on during our visit , we went to sit outside for a drink, at that point the refurbishment of the outside pool started , and drills , hammers, etc all banging away, i know work has to be done , however it was unfortunate timing. We also had a crew cutting trees on a Sunday ,morning at around 10.30 right outside the window, again work has to be done , but timing was poor.

Check out was fine, although we literally had a maid knocking at the door the second the clock struck the hour, which was a little too efficient. It is very near Puerto Banus , 16 euro in a cab, but is kind of out of a town , Marbella centre is about a 25 minute drive, parking quite easy there. You are going to need a car basically if you have children, if you do have children note the hire car companies have child seats , but do NOT fit them , you need to do that at the pick up. Unless you stay at the resort the whole of your time and you easily could , you will need a car.

I enjoyed it, it was relaxing , great place to stay, and very high standard of accommodation, immaculately kept, however slightly removed from any nearby towns, and you will need a car in my opinion.

Room Tip: You will need to ask to get a view of the sea .
2  Thank jonnyboy012
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent a week here and traveled the south of Spain. You can not go wrong with this property. The lights went out periodically when it rained but other than that the trip was perfect and everything about this place was great.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house but the garden view was best for me.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Estepona
IBEROSTAR Costa del Sol
Occidental Estepona Thalasso Spa
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
#7 of 34 in Estepona

Been to Marriott's Playa Andaluza? Share your experiences!