“Holiday - August” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Estepona
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Holiday - August”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was my second visit to the Kempinski. The hotel was again excellent - the room was spacious and very clean with a great view of the ocean. Buffet breakfast was good with a wide choice of options.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review on your stay at Kempinski Hotel Bahía during last summer, which I appreciate. My team and I look forward to be able to welcome you again soon to our resort.
Rüdiger C. Hollweg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Holland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

To start of first the minor flaw and then all the good things.
The check in was supposed to be early, but the actual check in was at 2pm, which is not early.
Also I had to ask the front desk several times if an update could be provided, but that was not possible. I had kind of the same experience with check out, after I paid no saying goodbye or hope to you see you soon plus I had to take my own luggage to the car. Fortunately the driver met me half way.
If this was a 3 or 4 star hotel I would not have mentioned this, but you would expect more from a five star plus hotel. Also this is not criticism, just pinpoint some flaws.
Also the amenities in the bath room were not replaced when empty, like shower gel. On the other hand when calling front desk and asking for the amenities, they were deliver promptly.
One remark about the bed. If you offer a king bed, please do not put 2 single beds against each other.
The good things were the dinner and breakfast experiences. All the staff were very helpful and accommodating with every request and beyond. The food was very good and the beverages also. Recommendations were always on the spot. A special note to the seating. As I was alone, I was given a good table on all occasions. This does not happen frequently at hotels, but this was a wonderful experience.
The lobby and veranda was also very pleasant to stay.
Both the conciergea in the hotel were very accommodating and helpful.
Maybe a recommendation could be in replacing some of the sun beds close to the beach with the sames ones as were on the pool sides.
The garden was very big and quiet. As was the entire hotel surroundings, peaceful and quiet.

All in all, I wanted peace and quiet and pampering, and that is what I have been given.

Room Tip: choose a top floor room with sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your overall very positive comments and valuable feedback on your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the fact that the Front Desk left some negative impressions, and we will do our best to improve this situation soonest.
I am very pleased about the excellent comments on our Restaurant Team, which I gladly pass on to them.
The sunbeds in the beach row will be substituted next year by new and the same furniture we have on the grounds of the resort.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to Kempinski Hotel Bahía.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Could hardly find fault with the hotel. Staff were attentive food excellent. Room very good bed and pillows comfortable. However we couldn't sit on the balcony as a noisy main road ran to the left but lovely sea view to the right.
We had complementary fruit in the room which was a nice finishing touch.

Room Tip: Our room from the balcony had a sea view to the right but unfortunately had a main road to the left...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review on your recent stay at Kempinski Hotel Bahía. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your 4 days break and hope to welcome you very soon again back to our resort.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Having just left the Vila vita parc in the algarve I thought I'd try another LHW properties the Vila vita was superb and faultless so I went straight to the LHW website looking for an other great hotel this time to share with my grand children so found the kempinski and booked then after booking looked at the reviews now feeling very concerned I've booked connecting deluxe sea view rooms with breakfast I will report back in a week with a honest review I'm crossing my fingers all goes well if not you'll know about it I'm going to rate this with 5 stars as that's what I'm expecting happy holidays

Stayed October 2013
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment on your pre-arrival feelings, and I hope you'll have a most enjoyable stay with your famuily at our resort. Feel free to let me know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more comfortable. My direct mobile no. is 1207 from your room.
With kind regards
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The spa at this hotel is exceptional. They have a steam room that has little twinkle lights in the ceiling. There are several spa amenities to choose from. The breakfast buffet even had caviar one of the mornings we were there. The staff was very helpful and pleasant.
It was a very convenient location to visit Ronda and the Joaquin Fernandez Bodega winery.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fernliketheplant
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Bahia, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your excellent comment on our newly renovated Sauna & Relax at the Kempinski Hotel Bahía. It is with great pleasure to see that our efforts on renovating with creativity is acknowledged by our guests.
Please also be advised that our Spa treatment area will undergo a major refurbishment this winter and will reopen in February with a new look and feel, and I hope that you will like our treatment rooms when returning to our resort then.
Thank you for for staying with us and with kind regards,
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited this hotel for one week commencing Friday 20th Sept and for the hotel manager's ref stayed in room 627.

This was a last minute booking and turned out to be quite a disappointment. We have stayed in Kempinski Munich previously which was a delight so expected the same service and standards, if not more from this property, bearing in mind it is in the "leading hotels of the world" directory.

Our findings;

The room was very bland. The bed, hard, low and very very uncomfortable. We had a window which opened out into the corridor, overlooking the reception area. It had some wooden shutters which did not keep out the light, resulting in the room being light all night. Further to this, you could hear the constant echo and chatter from the hotel reception, lobby bar etc etc.

The brochure boasts 4 restaurants (in season), not sure when season is but the hotel was full. Not withstanding this, upon check in, we were advised that 2 restaurants were open, which for us was fine. However, most nights the Spanish (beachfront) restaurant was closed due to a wedding or conference. Indeed, this hotel is more of a conference facility than a family beach holiday resort.

Night one, we asked to book for the Spanish restaurant - yes we can have a table but its a buffet. We declined and opted for the Italian restaurant, this was awful, the pasta overcooked, service by surly German waitress poor etc etc.

The next day we had lunch at the Spanish restaurant, as did we on several other days, all of which were superb, excellent food, service and staff. Very very good.

Night two, we asked to book the Spanish restaurant, closed for a conference/wedding. Being lazy we decided not to travel outside the resort and try the Italian again "it can't be bad twice surely, this is a 5 star resort etc etc" How wrong can you be, it was even worse!! We waited in the doorway, even though we had booked for 10pm, for 20 mins for a table to be made available.
Following this the food and service were terrible, really really poor.

Notwithstanding this, the pool area was always manic, full of conference goers, wedding parties (one of 70 who had all of there sun beds in a row and were very noisy and irritating), a recruitment co of 30 staff, resulting in broken glass by the pool area etc.

I would urge anyone reading this review to read my other reviews as I am always a positive reviewer and only bother to review places we have enjoyed. I don't ever moan but in this case felt I really should.

I will be interested to hear the manager's comment.

Room Tip: Do not go there! Peunte Romano in the golden mile is much much better. However, if you do go there...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jackie186300
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at Kempinski Hotel Bahía.
My apologies that you felt the beds were uncomfortable and too low, but we have European beds, which are not with double heigth. The comment on this particular room is the first time that it was brought across, and we will look into improving the privacy and blacking out the shutters.
High season is as you know in July August and end of September and just that the hotel was fully booked does not make changing seasons.
But I apologize for the fact that the restaurants were not all available due to functions taking place and that you could not experience some of the usual offers we have.
It is with regret to learn that we were unable to convince you of our services.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Sometimes, it only takes a couple of small things to ruin an experience for you. That's how I'm feeling about this hotel 2 months after my return.

Firstly, the staff were not that great. We booked connecting rooms and were guaranteed they would be connecting twice via email (had the email printed out with us as proof). Came to check in and alas, not connecting rooms. After complaining, we were a) questioned why it was so important to us to have connecting rooms and b) told sometimes these things happen and we have to live with it. Ummmmm not your job to say that. And so ensued a 2-hour ordeal of being lied to re: no connecting rooms available AT ALL. Before they gave up and moved us into connecting rooms on a higher floor. #end any bad issues with staff. After this, they were impeccable.

Rooms were amazing.
Grounds and pool was amazing.
Beach was not-so-nice. But compared to an Australian beach, little beaches are nice. In fact, didnt want to step on the dirty sand.
Pool service was great - cocktails and food as the heart desires.
Restaurants inside the hotel were way too costly and hence mostly vacant. If you don't want to spend in excess of 50 Euro pp for dinner each night, best to go elsewhere.
Which brings me to another issue - accessibility of hotel. There's not a lot around. About a 30 min drive to Marbella (40Euro taxi each way) and a 20 min drive to Puerto Banus. Next door the resort is a village called Puro Beach Village and there are 2 or 3 restaurants and a beach club, but if you visit here 2 nights, you'll get bored.

Would not stay here again mainly due to the accessibility issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelandread
Dear Guest,
thank you for your feedback on your recent stay to Kempinski Hotel Bahía and my sincere apologies for the poor check-in service you had reason to criticize. We usually block the rooms upon a guest makes the reservation, in order to guarantee that the connected room is available. As this seemed not having been done before, this was an unexpected situation and the receptionist was challenged to solve. After "moving" other reservations, he found the connecting rooms.
Marbella and Estepona are stretched 35 km over the coast and almost every hotel is away from somewhere you want to go to. The Spanish South Coast is for the mobile traveler who love to explore and also don't have a problem that all shopping and restaurants are next door.
I would be pleased to welcome you again during your next travel to Marbella Estepona.