“Mid June break”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Estepona
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“Mid June break”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Went the week commencing 18th June. Be aware high season starts earlier in June as Spanish schools broke up on the 22nd.First part of the week was very quiet around the hotel, but it burst into life after the Friday, with the pool snack bar opening, entertainment around the poolside such as water aerobics, and more evening entertainment. But it wasn't over-powering, just jolly! And there are masses of sun beds and quiet places to plonk yourselves. And they ask guests around the smaller pool to keep it "couples and quiet time". This hotel is the best part of an hour's drive from Malaga airport, and a ten minute drive back into Estepona. There are no restaurants to mooch to nearby in the evenings if you like a stroll before dinner and to mull over the menus. So a car is essential, or a budget for taxis to take you along the coast, or eat at the hotel. And if you drive, then obviously you can't both drink, so this destination won't suit everyone. Having said that there are many ports and beautiful places to eat at night just a short drive away and the hotel bar is open late for when you get back! There appeared to be masses of safe play areas for children and a kids' club and creche. The grounds are gated with security cameras, so it felt safe for families. The beach was very nearby too. The hotel supplied a beach towel each morning and the sun beds were very comfortable, a lovely sea breeze which was a bit strong at times for the parasols! Breakfasts - well, everything. Cereals, fruits, fry up, and chefs on standby for omelette orders etc. Good supply of special dietary things too - gluten free products etc. All the staff without exception were lovely, friendly, helpful and took pride in their work and the hotel. This spot is ideal for a quietist break, somewhere for families to all be together - take the grandkids, or just to explore the coastal area and to chill. Our room was a good size, lovely big comfy bed and all new bathroom suite, in Spanish marble tiles. We had a large garden terrace with ours and just a small balcony, but had we been holidaying with others, the room below could be joined with ours with a very large communal lounge and dining area. And we had a jacuzzi in our roof garden, although it wasn't up and running and we didn't particularly want it, but if you were a big family, these 2 rooms, garden terrace and communal space, with the jacuzzi would have been fabulous! Aircon in rooms was good and use of the safe was free.

Room Tip: Would recommend a sea view and if a large family, ask for 2 rooms that can be joined together so tha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ro51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We found the Hotel very good but the fact that we had to get taxi's every time we went to Estepona proved rather expensive at10 Euro a time. There us no Shuttle Service and this is something we feel the Hotel should look into.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful with a seaview. Thouroughly enjoyed sitting on balcony in the evening.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ThereseCork_Ireland
Saint Julian's, Malta
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel has the potential of being one of the best in the area. The location, although a bit outside the city centre, is great: sea front but with easy access directly from the coastal highway. The buildings are brand new and of good quality and everything basic is there for making this a top quality hotel.

However, Hotel Fuerte Estepona is run and operated by complete amateurs. It is to the world of hotels what Swansea Senior Ladies Ballet Society is to the world of performing arts.

It all started when I was checking in. The receptionist behaved like it was the first time anyone ever checked in (and given the fact that I couldn't see any other guests anywhere, it may very well have been). After a while he went on to ask me if I could email him a copy of my booking.

That turned out to be a bit of a problem, though, as the Internet access for all rooms was down when I finally located my room (no valet service for parking and no assistance with the luggage on the 1 km walk to the room). I immediately called the reception and they promised someone would come and have a look at it immediately. No-one ever came, and after two hours I decided to call the reception again. This time, however, when I said "This is John Doe from room 1107 - I am calling regarding...", I was put on hold for 5 minutes and when I eventually hung up the receptionist called me back saying she had received a call for me but that the line had been busy. I tried to explain that it had in fact been me calling, and that the reason the line was busy was that, well, it was me calling. But the information seemed to go wooosh over her head. At this point I gave up and went to bed.

While waiting, though, I had plenty of time watching TV. However, despite the fact that they had 75 channels there was no entertainment or channel management system and the channels were randomly placed all over the range. If you every find yourself in this hotel, I can save you an hour by telling you that CNN is on channel 37, BBC 2 on channel 57 and BBC 1 on channel 71, just after Afghanistan TV and just before the Islam Channel.

The bed wasn't bad, but to further drive home the message that this hotel is run by amateurs, the bathroom has a doorstop or at least some sort of huge protruding metal knob in the middle of the bathroom floor - exactly where you walk to get to the toilet area. I fractured my toe in the middle of the night, which greatly affected my sleep quality. In the morning I fractured my other toe, after which I put a bath towel on top of the metal knob. This was removed by the maid so that I had the pleasure of breaking the remaining 3 toes that evening. At that time, however, I was so busy trying to stop the bleeding from the cut I got from the razor sharp edges of the soap dispenser in the shower, that I hardly noticed.

Still internet wasn't working so I though, in my eternal optimism, that I'd call the reception again to see if they had time to fix it today. At this point, though, the numbers listed for the reception just gave an answering machine. After 20 minutes I half walked, half crawled down to the reception and was promised that someone would come to my room immediately. After 2 hours of waiting I gave up again and figured I'd book an appointment with the hairdresser that they bragged of in their spa brochure. However the spa receptionist only laughed and said "no, no, not on Wednesdays!" as if it was the most natural thing in the world that no hair could be cut on Wednesdays.

Crawling back to the reception again, I took the liberty of mentioning that I still had no phone and no Internet and that, although modern amenities, perhaps it was not completely unfair to expect these fixed within 48 hours given the fact that this was a completely new 4 star hotel. This time I seemed to have hit a nerve, though, as the receptionist there at the time decided to tell me off and explain that they had absolutely nothing to do with the internet connection since this was delivered by an external supplier, and could I please crawl back to my room and stop being such a nuisance. Then the shift manager joined in and explained that my phone wasn't broken at all and had I just called "9" instead of the two numbers actually listed on the phone in my room (which worked the day before) I would have gotten through to the reception. I tried to explain that, although in my own opinion of better than average mental faculty, I am in fact not psychic - and that any guests that were, probably would not have booked into this hotel in the first place.

After a bit back and forth, and me explaining that it was vital that I got internet access that night, and that in fact I was bold enough to hold them responsible for the hotel amenities - particularly the ones they bragged of in their brochure, even when they had decided to outsource these - they asked if I could give them a couple of hours to fix it.

When I returned from my meeting, 5 hours later, I asked again if internet in the hotel had been fixed. I was informed it had indeed not. Since the computers in the reception seemed to have internet access I asked if I could borrow a cable and connect there to send some vital emails, but was informed this was not possible as "he didn't know how the cable worked". He did offer me to borrow his computer, but told me that it was blocked for email access and also blocked gmails, hotmails etc, making it rather of little use to me.

Sometime after midnight internet did indeed come back for an hour or two. No-one took the bother to tell me, though, and I only found out because I had hit my foot on the metal knob in the middle of the floor again and couldn't sleep.

I have rated this hotel 1 out of 5. Is it a 1 star hotel? Not if you look at the buildings, the pool area etc. But I was on a business trip, and booked this hotel mostly because it promised free high speed internet access. It is very hard to rate a hotel that doesn't give you what they promised in the brochure, then break your foot and tops it off by completely ignoring any complaints.

As far as I am concerned, the only good thing about this hotel was the room service. The food was great, and they delivered fast and almost got the order right. But the only way I am ever coming back is if the guy who runs the room service is promoted to general manager.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank freqnttravel
Casablanca
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is overall a good hotel, with large and nice rooms, a great hotel location, but some compromises were for us inacceptable in such a hotel. Basically, the buffet food (including breakfast) is all-industrial low-cost stuff. Might be OK for some, but not for me! For the price you pay the meals, you can get a much much better breakfast / lunch / dinner 10 minutes away on the puerto deportivo. A shame, really. Bar service was also slow because of not enough staff, I guess. So, basically, great choice if you do not eat there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank philippetla
Leeds
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed here 5 days in June.firstly on a positive rooms are excellent. Really big and modern and bath in bathroom is a spa bath- fantastic. Room wise could not be better. Like previous reviewer paid for sea view but hadroom on 1st floor. Wanted room with sun beds ( like pictures on website). Asked reception but said none available. I offered to pay upgrade if needed but none vailable. After found out 2 blocks just closed off. pool area is excellent and great space.
Issue with hotel is that although facilities are 5* half of them are closed. pool bar closed. only bar open during day in restaurant. Result- not a singe person around pool with hotel drinks. Night time only a side bar open so just dead. Every night we went out to la puerta in estepona to eat as hotel seemed half shut up. If only hotel actually opened some of the bars then may be somebody would use them. This is June - out of season?
I am a regular at Fuerte in Marbella and tried this hotel for a change. All the personality of the Fuerte and Fuerte spa in marbella is just not here. Won't come back which is a shame as it could be excellent and looks like it is but it just isn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnLeeds
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We paid additional EUR10 for seaview, but got room on 1st floor, so it was not very good sight (also I understand that mountain view would be very noisy because hotel is just next to highway). Room was very big and clean, but on terrace I had a feeling that it needs to be repaired. City is reachable only by car or taxi, which could be a problem for someone. Beach here is for nudists. For the same money I stayed in Parador - it was better choice. If you want to lay beside pool then maybe this hotel is for you. For someone who want`s to see Spain I would suggest to stay away from all resorts :)

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floors
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ieva A
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in October 2011. It is not in the main Estepona town centre but it is not a problem for us as we drove to the hotel. GPS could be slightly misleading as it sent us further away, nevertheless, we manage to find it. Hotel itself is new and modern. Furniture is new and we were even greeted with a surprise gift for the kids. Bathroom is big and spacious with bathtub/jacuzzi style and heated floor. Beach is easily accessible but sand is not as white as other Spain counterpart. Receptionist were helpful and you even get complimentary drinks/juice while you wait. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. During our stay, weather wasnt particularly brilliant but the hotel and the staff made it all worthwhile. Would definitely recommend but make sure you have a car as the town centre is slightly more than a long walk.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the beach!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family