See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 28, 2016

Hotel exactly what we needed. Pet friendly and modern!
Vincente on reception was quick and really helpful+++++
Excellent location to discover the province of Cadiz!
Thanks again! We will chose HOTEL CAMPOMAR PLAYA again for sure!
Cheers,

Room tip: Suites are spacious!
Date of stay: January 2016
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at the Campomar last week during 2 nights while attending a conference at the University of Cadiz.
All hotels inside the island of Cadiz were very expensive and few had disponibility. I found this little hotel and was worried because of the reviews that were not very good.
I made a good option: It is 15 minutes out of Cadiz but you can find nice places to eat in the nearby beach (Valdelagrana) or at Puerto Santa Maria (5 minutes drive).
The hotel is clean, my rooms was very quite, looking back to the garden of a neighbor property, and the price I got for 2 nights for 2 included breakfast was excelent. 95 euros!. The breakfast is good, the reception desk personal very kind.
In conclusion: if you have a car and don´t want to spend to much money Campomar is an excelent option!

Date of stay: September 2012
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Maybe I was lucky but stayed for five nights at this notel and enjoyed it very much. I saw nothing wrong with the rooms. The all you can eat breakfast buffet which was included in the price was delicious with plenty of coffee and orange juice. The drawback is that dinner is not served until 9PM which in my case was real late for my digestive system. The location is fine if you arrive or depart by train but the bus from Cadiz can drop you off nearby too. I used the hotel as my base to visit El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera and Sevilla by train. But The front desk staff eventhough not always very friendly I got them to answer my questions most of the time.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Kyle2009
Reviewed October 7, 2011

After looking at pictures of the Campomar online, I thought it looked really modern and new. On arrival, I could have cried. It is clearly an old hotel done up on a 'hotel inspector' type budget. It was built in 1971, refurbed in 1998, and again relaunched in 2011. The rooms have been retiled, painted and attempts have been made to bring it into modern times. My first impression was that it looked like a 70s american motel, with the wrap-around rooms and pool look. On checking in, the staff member was chatting on the phone throughout the whole process, which really annoyed me.

It is also located in a residential area with not a lot at hand. Well, Valdelegrana beach is about a 700 metre walk, as are local beach bars and cervecerias/ xerez bodegas/ seafood bars.

Too be fair to this hotel, after a wee while, my attitude changed and I began to see positives. The pool area was actually a very welcome peaceful area to relax in, with a nice sized pool. The rooms dont have balconys, so there is no-one overlooking the area. The air con in the room is very old, but it was the best I had experienced in any Spanish hotel. The staff actually turned out to be very friendly, and the bar staff always gave us ice for the room whenever we asked, and the price of beers/ wines was excellent; 1.20 euros for a beer/ 1.60 for vino de la casa.

The breakfast was not great, but it did provide cold cuts of meat and cheese, yoghurt and coffee etc. The restaurant only provided food after 8pm, but there were some locals eating there on most nights.

Another thing here is that the hotel is not in the main town centre of El Puerto, but instead it is on the other side of the estuary. This means that a walk into town is out of the question. However, there is a regular bus (no.3) which regularly runs into El Puerto itself, but be aware that it doesnt run too late, so a taxi will cost around 4/5 euros.

The main problem with this hotel is that they didnt go that extra wee mile. If they did, they would have hit the jackpot. Instead it reeks of budget upgrade. Ultimately, I probably would return, but I would budget for the bus and taxi extras which go with it.

A difficult hotel to review, really, as there equal positives to negatives. I had a good time in El Puerto and this hotel would be better if it was across the estuary. Just be wary before booking. I'm giving it three, cos I cant give it four, but it probably deserves more than that.

Room tip: Upgrade to the rooms with a patio, but not essential.
Date of stay: October 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just by chance we discovered this hotel and felt happy to stay there.
It provides an agreeable and quiet atmosphere. Room have been clean, service and staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was sufficient. If possible we come back and can recommend it specially for somehow conservative "middle class" guests, also for families and elderly persons.

Date of stay: August 2011