“Tired room but nice staff”

Los Jandalos Vistahermosa
England
“Tired room but nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I was under the impression that I had booked a Hotel room but because we were three adults and a child travelling together we were put into one of the apartments. I can understand the thinking behind this and it was nice to have two separate bedrooms but the lounge/kitchen was very tired with well used furniture and a very old TV with poor reception whether accessing the Spanish TV channels or using the DVD player. It was clean and the linen, curtains and towels appeared new.
The garden and pool area were very nice but the pool bar was not open at all and the restaurant did not open until 8.30pm. Not good with a young child. They did do room service and I saw the cleaners delivering meals to some of the apartments close by. We did not try it. The small two seater sofa had seen better days and with only the addition of a bamboo seated armchair there was little real comfort for relaxing or watching the TV, although there was a more up to date flat screen in one of the bedrooms. The staff were very welcoming and when we had to leave after one night thorugh our child's illness they did not charge us for the second night which we had booked. The superior rooms are obviously of a higher standard and the Hotel did look more luxurious. I guess our rate of 110 euros was a fair price for what we got but it was disappointing

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Having never traveled to Spain the thought of being in a hotel during the day without my husband had me nervous but I felt safe and secure the moment we arrived here. There is a security gate to buzz you in. We were greeted warmly by the receptionist who was able to speak English and tell us everything we needed to know about their facilities. We were staying in the Supreme section which granted us privileged to an additional pool and thermal pool separate from the regular guests. The landscaping is gorgeous, the amenities abound and the wind constantly blows through the trees setting the atmosphere. The room is spacious with double bed, settee, a sitting area with couch and chair, balcony with table and chairs and a large bathroom with shower, and tub. Everything is clean and the bathroom is modern. The hotel has a very nice decor with several sitting areas outside and in for relaxing. Restaurants are within walking distance and teh beach is a 5 minute drive away. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Pick a premium room. You get a nice balcony view, private thermal pool and outdoor pool and it's...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

We arrived hot, tired and a litTle late to Los Jandalos after a journey from Ronda. Unfortunately, the guy on reception was not at all friendly or helpful and had a very condescending air as if we were a 'bad smell' under his nose.

I had planned our short road trip around Andalucia on route to a few days rest on reading reviews and have learned through much travel for work and leisure, that the way you are greeted and treated can really make a happy memory of a place, often over facilities and we had chosen this place for it's 'friendly' staff recommendations as well as the pool and spa.

This guy did the bare minimum, was not clear about the parking (a little complicated, especially when tired) and acted like I was stupid, answering impatiently if I so much as 'dared' to ask a question, reception was not busy at the time. Surely hotels are there to greet often weary travelers peasantly after their journey? We were rather too late that evening for the pool as we were so tired and needed food. Unfortunately, the weather was not good the following day and the pool way too cold to swim in (although a couple of brave souls braved it, the only two other people in the agrden area), there was a very bad smell coming from the garden servicios which we discovered were locked etc so the things that may have endeared us to Los Jandalos were rather lost on us.

We were traveling as a family with two teenage girls and were put in an apartment the furthest walk from reception and up steps with 4 heavy suitcases. The first time we tried to unlock the door, the card wouldn't work. Thinking we were a litle tired, we tried for some time, but it didn't work. I then had to trapse back tor eception and ask. The receptionist took the key from me with the usual charmless manner and after a couple of times run through the machine handed it back without any sort of explanation. This time it worked, so the error must have been the hotels. The apartment seemed like it hadn't been in use for a while, although equiped enough, the dining room table was 'extremely' stained and unpleasant, there was no view from the small balcony as foliage was in the way. We headed out to dinner in the puerto. The cab driver organised by the hotel ripped us off and took us the long way round. We knew this when we returned and it was a much quicker journey!

As we only had one night, we needed to check out by 12 the following morning - In the concern to get all our things down the stairs and hiked back up to reception, I had checked us out, so we could relax until we left. The morning receptionist was more pleasant and said we could use all facilities until we went. Unfortunately, you needed your key to the spa, which I had handed in! OK-not the hotels fault, but really, nothing at all was explained where it was or what the protocol was with keys etc and we had no inclination to ask at this stage. We hadn't even seen it and didn't discover the rather pleasant looking restaurant until then either as the former receptionists manner had put us off eating there.

I took the girls to this hotel for the pool, spa and beauty treatments before our longer spell further down the coast, but after the receptionists unpleasant demeanour, our enthusiasm was lost and the girls hated it. It's amazing how one sourly staff member can ruin your day! I should point out that subsequent receptionist (lady) was very pleasant, but we were off the next day to hit the road to another, hopefully more welcoming venue! It was our only less than perfect stay during our trip in which we stayed in three hotels in three different towns and a private house rental. We shall not return.

Room Tip: The hotel looked much nicer than the apartment we stayed in. If you are paying for the whole family...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank lachicamusique
Tokyo via Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

With a toddler in tow, I think next time we will stay in the apartments. The hotel is very nice and I highly suggest couples and singles stay there. The lobby decor is beautiful as is the well thought out room. This hotel offers an excellent room rate. The restaurant is good. There are some other eateries within walking distance and the beach is within a 5 minute drive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our two children for one night in an apartment (#504.) We paid 100 euros. Our experience was nothing but first-rate, and we are sorry we didn't discover the Los Jandalos earlier-on during our two-week adventure in Spain. It is the perfect place to spend a vacation with children. Our apartment opened up to a lovely courtyard with a pool. Although only late-April, the pool was clean and ready to go! My kids absolutely loved it, and we could keep an eye on them from the privacy of our own patio. There is also a nice beach just a two-minute drive down the road.
Inside, the apartment is all a family could ask for: Kitchen with cooker, microwave, fridge & washing machine. A nice open-concept design with a good-sized eating area and sunken living room, opening to the patio. There is also a small powder room. Upstairs are two bedrooms and a large bathroom. The apartment was spottlessly clean and nicely decorated. Flooring is marble, with wood in the bedrooms. The beds were perfectly comfortable. The rest of the property is also beautiful, including the restaurant. There is a certain understated "exclusive" feel to the place. My only complaint would be that the outdoor patio spaces needed a good scrub, but during our stay the groundskeepers were going all-out, so I'm sure it was on the to-do-list. All-in-all, we found this property to be in excellent condition and would recommend it to others.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

Having stayed here for work for a few months I have very little complaints. Hotel was spotless and rooms were nicely decorated. Staff were pleasent but as my Spanish is non-existent and they on the whole didn't speak English there wasn't much "banter". Might have proved problematic if there had been any problems but everything was excellent so no real need to complain etc. Spent some time in the apartments which were very basic but again very clean. If you're going on holiday I would only recommend the hotel but if your work is paying for it there are far worse places you could be staying! Food in the restaurant was very good but menu was limited and got a bit monotonous after a while but there is plenty of other places nearby for variety.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank flyingscot1982
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

I love this hotel! We ended up staying here when the hotel we wanted to stay at was full. We have stayed here three times since then, during the winter, spring, and early summer. The entire hotel is typically Andalucian with the Moorish influenced architecture. Antiques and artwork decorate the common areas. The furishings are one of a kind and The rooms are all individually decorated, the baths are luxurious with a large bathtub in the bedroom or in the bathroom. It is just beautiful! I found the staff to be courteous and helpful. They were an excellent source for ideas of things to do and where to go. The restaurant is outstanding. My only dissappointment was they didn't offer an English menu which seemed odd since most of the staff and a fair portion of clients speak English. I speak some Spanish, but they use a lot of exotic ingredients that aren't common in Spanish cuisine. Our waiter who spoke pretty good English, had to ask someone in the kitchen what some of the foods were in English.
The grounds are exquisitley landscaped with palms and exotic plants and there is a spa in the basement. This would be a perfect hotel if it had a view of the ocean. Instead it is buried in a residential (posh) neighborhood. Which on the plus side means it is quiet at night. I do recommend requesting a room on one of the upper floors. The noise from banquets and the lobby can be heard in the ground floor rooms.

• Stayed December 2005
Las Suites de Puerto Sherry
Las Suites de Puerto Sherry
#5 of 18 in El Puerto de Santa Maria
Elba Costa Ballena Beach Hotel

Been to Los Jandalos Vistahermosa? Share your experiences!