“Hidden treasure”

Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel
Hampshire
“Hidden treasure”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have just returned after staying in this hotel for a week. Originally were going to stay in Cadiz but then realised that this would be a bit restricting regarding travelling to other parts of the coastline so we booked an Easyjet package -flight & hotel and it came up with this hotel just across the water from Cadiz. It was lovely being an old Monastery it was full of character bits from it's past as well as the old church. The rooms were very spacious, we had one overlooking the patio, gardens & pool, this had a lovely balcony which you could sit on in the evenings to enjoy a local bottle of Cava. It is tucked down the side streets so it could be missed but it is very close to the local restaurants and the ferry boat to Cadiz. This only takes approx. 25 mins and is so easy. The hotel has a car park so were able to put the car away as the streets are very narrow and taken up by the residents The breakfasts were really lovely and weather permitting can be eaten outside. It also has 2 restaurants & a café/bar so if you don't need to go out but I would recommend eating in the local pedestrian area where all the Tapas bars & restaurants are, this is where all the locals comer out to eat and parade. Super hotel to explore Cadiz & the area.

Room Tip: As its an old Monastery some rooms are very small so need to check what you are booking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uktravellerHampshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hotel packed full of character.

However the quality of the food doesn't match the price that it costs.

The waterfront is a fifteen minute walk and the beach is a good half hour walk away.

Recommend as a short stay only.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed a couple of days at this hotel when visiting Cadiz and its Atlantic Coast. The hotel is very large and sometimes it may be difficult to find your way as there are not many signals. You certainly do not loose the felling of living in a monastery as at least in our area, we did not get much noise. The room was right size for a four stars hotel. Furniture and decoration needs to be renovated or better maintained as , although all fit very well in the place, it is obvious it has not been maintained since the days the hotel was opened. We did not use the swimming pool, but it looked OK, same as the garden surrounding it. The breakfast was what you could expect from this type of hotel:buffet will multiple choices, suitable for business travels, conferences, etc.. In fact that was one of the things that did not meet our expectations, the hotel did not have any charm or personal details. Although the location is good and is walking distance to everything and convenient when leaving the town by car, it is truth that the buildings surrounding it are abandoned in some cases and there is not much light when walking back by night unless you use the main street where the entrance is. Do not use the back streets coming from the river as those looked dangerous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Aside from Catholic boarding school flashbacks of Madonna and baby Jesus at evey turn we had an enjoyable stay at this hotel. It's a bit dark and dated and impersonal however the cafe, pool and courtyard area we loved. A little noisy with people coming and going.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Inglaterra
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Party of four friends had an excellent stay in this delightful hotel. Day areas and pool a delight with ever helpful staff. Rooms a little tired but perfectly adequate. Perfect location for train to Cadiz and Jerez, as well as the return by catamaran from Cadiz .Tio Pepe tour Saturday morning was excellent. Search out the restaurant El Arriate in Puerto de Santa Maria on the road from harbour up to Bull ring, wonderful food, delightful couple running the restaurant serving local specialities and quite reasonably priced.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ElCid45
Velez-Malaga, Spain
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I came as part of group of 87. I was a solo traveller and did not expect too much from my room based on experiences in some other hotels. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a very large room with a king size bed and en suite facilities. There was also the usual hairdryer, TV etc. and plenty of power points. I also visited some double occupancy rooms and the only difference I could see was that most had large twin beds pushed together and also a balcony and a view of the garden. ( I had neither balcony nor view, but we were in the centre of town.) From the moment I arrived, till I left, I found the staff very friendly and helpful no matter where I went. Inside the hotel was very interesting as it was a former Convent (despite the name) and had many interesting things to look at, although of course mostly religious themed. On the negative side, it is in a very narrow street which our coaches could not negotiate. This meant that each day during our mini-break we had to walk 5-8 minutes to the main road to pick up the coach, which was sometimes problematic for those less able-bodied among us. The breakfast was from 7.30am each day in buffet style and excellent food standards with plenty of choice including bacon and scrambled eggs every day. The evening dining room however did not open till 8.30pm with the meals service beginning around 9pm. Rather late for our "Senior Citizen" Group more used to British early dining, although for the Spanish who more often dine around 11pm this was still quite early. A bit of a cultural difference there I think. Some people were also disappointed that there was no menu choice and we were all served the same meal by waiters. I am not sure if this was maybe a "special price deal" as part of our group holiday? The other surprising thing was that the bar always closed at 11pm. We are not heavy drinkers but we barely had time to get to the bar for a nightcap and a bit of a social chat before retiring, when we were asked to leave again! I understand this was a local by-law or something although I was never able to confirm it. I cannot fault the standard of the hotel both in the public areas and the rooms. Immaculate. The hotel is in a quiet location and yet only a few minutes from the interesting town centre. Despite the minor negatives I would still stay there again.

Room Tip: The dining rooms are in the basement and need 3 staircases to negotiate them. Ater 2 days we found t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for 4 months with work, and I'm not in any rush to go back.

The room was pleasant enough, cleaned every day, fresh sheets, towels etc. It was nice and bright, and the bathroom was very spacious and bright.

The food there was very expensive, and in my opinion not at all worth it. On one occasion my fiance and I went down to the bar and ordered "Grilled chicken breast, chips and salad" and "Marinated steak with fried potatoes and eggs"... When it arrived, we got deep fried chicken pieces on the bone with chips, and gammon, egg and chips. The problem was that the Spanish menu was accurate, but the English translation was completely wrong.

On another occasion, three members of staff entered our room when I was at work and my fiance was in bed. They let themselves in without knocking, and when she saw them and asked what they were doing, they stared at her and left the room without saying anything. I made a complaint to management, and after being told that "Is not possible" for 5 minutes, they told me that they had been sent to repair the TV, despite there not being a problem with it.

On a positive note, the breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business