“Great location in Old City Center”
Review of Hotel Argantonio

Hotel Argantonio
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Cadiz
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I would have given this a 4.5 star rating if available. I gave it a 4 and not a 5 because the rooms and the hotel are all tiled floors and there is a bit of noise, not bad by any means but not perfect and that's what gets a 5 from me, perfect. I stayed in room 201 which has windows to the outside (as do all the rooms with ending in 01,02,03, the other rooms have no windows to the outside, the windows only open up to the sky lit courtyard in the center of the hotel) and twin beds, 202 and 203 had what looked like queen beds. The room is modest sized, but very comfotable with a nice bathroom/shower, high ceilings gave the room a good spacious feeling as did the large windows which open in both the room and bathroom so overall the feeling was spacious and light. A small fridge is in the room also. As others have posted they are doing some work on buildings around this hotel but from my room the noise of the work was not too bad and only after 8:30 am. The hotel is located on a narrow cobblestone street and as such in an old city one can hear the noises of the city and while quiet at night as the city awakes in the morning it can be heard wihin the room, which I actually enjoyed. The hotel breakfast provided was very good and the coffee fabulous. A great way to start the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful when asked but did not offer up a lot of extra info. There is a seating area on the roof with couches and chairs that is a great place for some wine and cheese late in the day. Parking in the garage is not a part of the price and finding places to park on the street is very difficult. The charge for parking is 20e a day so not cheap. The location is perfect, an easy walk to everything the old city has to offer, with loads of tapas bars all around. I recommend walking to the Mercado Central and sitting across in one of the tapas bars there. Overall I would highly recommend the hotel. The old city can be completely walked in two days, with stops for beers and tapas on multiple occasions. Right near the Mercado Central is a nice super market too.

Room Tip: My room 201 had twin beds but 202 and 203 had doubles or queens. The best rooms for my liking where...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lifesawalkabout

Reviewed December 2, 2011

This hotel was another winner from Trip Advisor. Historic hotel in a historic location, Excellent value, very friendly staff plus a sensible breakfast and check out time. All that and just a short walk from the Tourist info office, wonderful architecture and great shops. The room was well designed but (not a problem) a little small.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We attempted to book three nights in a bedroom at the hotel. We were told that a room was only available for 2 nights, but there was a junior suite available for the third. Since to move room was unattractive and given the apparent quality of both the standard suite and the bedrooms shown on the web-site (and hotel promotional material) we booked the junior suite for all three nights.

When we saw the room we were appalled. It bore no relation to any accommodation shown on the web-site. There were no soft furnishings other than bed linen, the surfaces were stained and dirty and there was an over-powering smell of cheese. There was insufficient space to store suitcases. To be fair the shower room was acceptable but bore no comparison to the quality of the facilities shown on the web-site for either the suite or the other bedrooms.

Although described as a junior suite, the facilities comprised a bedroom and a shower room. The bedroom contained a double bed that filled the bulk of the room. There were two chairs and a small table inserted in the narrow gap between the bed and the wall and beneath a wall-mounted TV. The decoration was limited to a large mono-chrome picture of an aircraft. A junior suite it was not; it was a poorly furnished ill-maintained bedroom. When we complained we were told that it was a suite because there was a corridor outside our room which served our facilities and another. In fact this was a public area and formed no part of our 'suite'.

There were bright spots: the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast quite satisfactory.

When we rurned to Cadiz some days later we had a splendid room for a lower cost at the nearby 4-star hotel

Room Tip: On no account book the junior suite. We cannot comment on the bedrooms, but they did seem to be of...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SebastianWestCountry
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and agree with the previous reviewers. Charmingly decorated and friendly staff and in the heart of the old centre of Cadiz. The bed was firm but not hard like so many in Europe and the linen good quality. Certainly deserves more than just 2 stars. only complaint was the noise from the renovatis next door although they didn't start until about 8 am week days. Quite a bit of noise from other rooms in the hotel also but most other guests seem to rise late like we did. Breakfast far better than mainy we have had in other hotels. Definitely recommend for a true Cadiz experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I didn't think my experience at Hotel Alminar in Seville could be topped, so boy was I surprised by this hotel at the very next town I visited, Cadiz. I was a bit worried by the 2 star rating, but I gave it a shot due to its numero uno ranking on Trip Advisor.

All I can say is WOW! This was my best hotel experience ever...at a 2 star!!! And I've been in plenty of hotels incl 5 star for my previous job. Who gives these ratings out, Standard and Poors???

Let me describe the room, at a VERY modest rate.

- 5+ metre high ceilings
- Moorish decorations including tiling (the mirror in the room is gorgeous)
- amazing 100% olive oil based toiletries. But unlike any olive oil soap I've ever used...honestly I think I could have shaved with shaving cream had I wanted to
- a beautiful moorish style door
- amazingly beautiful bathroom with double door shower
- possibly the most comfortable bed I've been in

You just need to see it (so I included some pics)

Then theres the hotel itself with its beautiful stairwell, lovely breakfast room, bar and lobby and the amazing service. On my last day I had to checkout 30 mins before breakfast. The lovely lady (who couldnt speak english but still strived to help me) ran around making sure I DID have a breakfast...fantastic (the rest of the service was just as good!). Oh and breakfast was included in the room rate as well.

And location while not beachside was fantastic too with beautiful streets surrounding it incl wonderful tapas bars, and close to the waterfront should you wish to do daytrips like Puerta el Santa Maria which I went too and it was beautiful.

Honestly feel guilty paying such a modest rate for this room.

Oh a little sidenote. IIt seemed like there were very few "Westernised' tourists in the hotel. I expect this is because most of us are a bit cautious about '2 stars'. This added to the experience as there were many Spanish holidaymakers around.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Cdchi1
Reviewed September 8, 2011

It's a hiden gem in the heart of Cadiz.

Old phoenician palace look like hotel is decorated so stylish and with such a lovely charm you will feel relax and touch of history.
Very modern and spacious bathroom.

Rich breakfasts, free and strong wi-fi, nice and helpful staff.
Strongly recommended

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Took a while to find as lots of locals don't seem to have heard of it, so were mildly exhausted when we finally turned up after pulling suitcases through the streets. That said, with hindight it was pretty close to train station/taxi rank so consult google maps before you go! Charming old fashioned little bar- and breakfast area. Breakfast served by really pleasant staff and felt very homesy- flowery plates/napkins- very charming and all included in the price! We found rooms a tad on the dark/small side. but bathrooms well appointed and all very clean. Probably for the location is hard to find larger rooms, and anyway you don't spend much time in them but for this and lack of a roofterrace/outside courtyard I haven't ranked it excellent- but that doesn't stop it being a SUPER little gem, with lovely staff, great bar, and a perfect location (and we didn't hear any night noise) so would deffo recommend this when in Cadiz- which is a must see and in our opinion knocks spots off even Seville!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends