“4 stars! I think not!”

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Cadiz
London, United Kingdom
“4 stars! I think not!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although my wife and holidayed out of season we still expected the trappings of a 4 star hotel. The pool was closed, as it is for 'out of season'(maybe the stars should be seasonal too) we had no minibar in our room and the tea/coffee were never replaced, we had to go down to reception every day to ask for these things. When we got to our room it had 2 single beds and a view of the lobby from the window. On the positive the location was amazing and the staff were very welcoming.

Room Tip: on one side you can see the water and the street and the other is a lobby view. don't be afraid...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thanks for your opinion because this is the best way to get our main goal, the satisfaction of all our guests.

We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel; we are trying to give the best image. Thank you for your comment about our staff, we are very proud of them.

Facilities like outdoor swimming pool, was open in May until October, depending the weather. Although the solarium and terrace is open for who ask for us, as noted in the pool’s door.
Minibars in our rooms are empty, although it can be used by our customers as a fridge. If you need some drink or snack we were happy to serve you at our reception, 24h.
Concerning your room, we are at your entire disposal for changing the room for twin or double, if it is possible and we try always our best for it.

We are sorry for all inconveniences that we may have caused, and thank you for your comment about the staff, every member thinks that our main aim is that you feel comfortable during your stay in our hotel, and location, the hotel is situated in the heart of Cádiz and it is appreciated for all our guests.

We regret not covering your expectations and we will be delighted if you offer us the opportunity to return to have you back in any of our establishments.

Gerente Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We chose this hotel for the location (walking distance to rail station and old town) and the spa facility. The former was achieved but the latter required a hefty 18 Euro a go, so we didn' t try the spa at all in our five night stay. However, we had a great quiet room, very clean and well serviced, kind and cheerful staff and thoroughly enjoyed the roof garden and pool on the hottest day.

I was a bit let down that the spa was charged additionally as this was not made clear by the booking website. It would have swayed our decision to choose this hotel. And also, the quality of the alleged 'free' WiFi was so poor we couldn't use it to browse the web. To achieve any access we would have had to pay extra for the fast internet (again, not made clear in the first place)

We avoided eating here as the cafeteria seemed to major on Pizza (the interestingly translated room information gives this as 'Creaking Pizza' - we assume from the German translation that this is supposed to be 'Crispy'.) Paella was another favourite (a Spa-ella option involved being immersed in a variety of pools then being fed paella for the princely sum of 29euro - we declined on health grounds!

Still - a big 5 for the great stay and the lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - no view but totally peaceful!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please Know that it is our aim that you spend the best days of your holidays with us and this is what we are working for and trying to improve every day.
Your impressions on the room are very positive and we are enormously pleased you've enjoyed. The cleaning in the rooms and our Staff Service are our priority and of course all rooms are soundproofed for our guest’s comfort. I will mention your comment to all the staff. We are very proud of it

We once again thank you and are looking forward welcoming you to any of our establishments

Yours sincerely,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'm slightly bewildered by the negativity of some of the reviews here. I had a night here with my family (husband, two children, plus mother in law). The location is brilliant - in the heart of the old city, with lots of places to eat, drink, wander, and buy cheap but glamorous shoes nearby. The rooftop pool was a huge plus for the children. Though small, it had the most astonishing views of the white city and the bright blue sea glittering all around, and there is a large roof terrace above where you can order drinks. We swam twice on an overnight stay and were the only people using the pool. The cafe bar in the lobby was very friendly, and had inexpensive breakfast options for those not requiring the 10 euro cooked option in the restaurant next door. All the staff we encountered were immensely helpful and friendly. The hotel offers family rooms sleeping four (quite a hard thing to find in Spain) in two double beds - a bit cramped but perfectly adequate for young children and affordable - there are tea and coffee facilities, a large TV, a fridge and an in-room safe. So, reasonable 4 star facilities for a 2 or 3 star price (in comparison to our stays in other Spanish cities). Cadiz itself was a revelation - a bit like Tangier without the hassle, and so many fewer tourists than the better known Andalucian cities, beautiful, historic, great food (especially fish). I'd happily recommend this to families.

Room Tip: Ours were fifth floor, at the back on the outside wall, and were very quiet. I think we were lucky h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all, thanks for your comment because this is the best way to improve and know our Service quality.

We are very happy that you enjoyed with our services and facilities; you have to know that every member of the staff thinks that our main aim is that you feel comfortable during your stay in our hotel and city. We try to give you the best service.

We are nice to hear your opinion about the negativity of some reviews. We respect them but we are very proud of our 4* Hotel and strong points as the location, big rooms, wonderful views from the roof and outdoor swimming-pool, helpful, nice and friendly staff. We kindly thank you that you could appreciated it.

We are also glad that you have enjoyed in the magnificent views from the pool. Facilities like outpool are valued for our guest; you can have a rest and relax after a hard day of walking and visiting the city. You have also our SPA.
We also welcome your positive comments on our staff and the quality of our breakfast because it makes us feel proud of the work done.

Yours sincerely,

north west
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

After reading previous reviews I was sorry my booking was non refundable. However the hotel was not as bad as expected. The location was good near the main cruise port but had no view. Even on the 5th floor my only view was from the glass lift
Breakfast was chaotic. I am glad it was quiet when I visited.Like most other places it was offering fresh orange juice at a price (2 euros). The system of ordering hot food was slow but the cold collection was plentiful.
4 star - I don't think so. The public areas were large and the bedrooms with generous en suite (bath AND shower) were good.
The spa had special offers of 2 for 1 on certain days and after 1400. There was so much to see and do in the 2 days, I didn't miss it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guests,,

Many times, the reviews could give a different impression our Hotel is, and we can offer as service, location and comfortable 4 star Hotel.
The views are not a strong point because our location in the middle of the historic and old city and his narrows streets.

We are very happy that you choose our hotel to spend yours holidays in the city. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us about your stay because it´s very useful for all the staff and other clients that wish to stay in our hotel.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Let me start by saying that I never stay in 4 star hotels. After this experience, I can STILL make this claim! I have NEVER stayed anywhere, and this includes hostels, where the staff is any more disinterested in customers. I can't tell you how long I had to stand at the reception desk, while several staff seemed to be MUCH more interested in paying attention to anything but their guests. And the spa...I had this reservation for months but days before I left home, they informed me that the spa would be closed. Apparently this happens ALOT. Too late to change. I do think it's insane that they charge their own guests to even walk in the spa door! I had terrible times w/ wifi (they did move me) but saw also that none of the rooms had any kind of view. The worst, however, was when I returned in the evening after being out all day, to find that my door had been left open all day after the maid cleaned. I guess that the mgr thought that a bottle of cheap sparkling wine would make this all better. MANY BETTER CHOICES IN CADIZ.

Room Tip: Rooms in any OTHER establishments would be better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guests,

First of all, thank for your opinion because that´s the best way to get our main goal, the satisfaction of our guests.

We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel. We are trying to give the best quality and service at our customer.

Your opinion is surprising for us, most of our guests have an excellent opinion of our staff, and we would like have to know how the situation was.
It´s true that our hotel have any view, It´s located facing to downtown; the hotel is in the city centre between two buildings. However, we are sure that during your stay you could see that our location was great.

Personally, I remember you and your stay and I had the opportunity to know you and discuss some disagreement during your stay but you do not say in your comment, that you were very comfortable and very happy (in your own words) with the change of the room –with better wifi connection- and your gratefulness for the up-grading.

We are sorry for all inconveniences that we may have caused in reference at our Spa. You made the reservation in October 2012 and we decide to close the SPA in January for some improvements works and that is the reason what it was closed,
In January – 45 days before your arrival, we inform you –in 2 different e-mail- that the SPA would be closed to let you decide if you would like to come or not and you answered the e-mail telling us that you understand “any maintenance project” to improve the Hotel (in your own words by mail) and you asked for a compensation with the Buffet Breakfast included. We did it and the breakfast was included free.

We again apologize to you for what happened to the door of your room. We could assure that nothing disappeared and I personally, went to your room to apologize for this intolerable human mistake.

We are sorry for all inconveniences that we may have caused, but if you decide to give us another opportunity, which we would very much appreciate, please let us know beforehand so that all our organization can be at your service.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were quite unimpressed by this hotel, and I'm not usually the type to rant negatively on the Internet. Firstly, THE SPA IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR COST. My wife and I chose this hotel mainly for the spa as seen on the website but found out it would have cost nearly 40 euros for the two of us for a swim! That includes 6 euros for slippers they make you buy. Extra for a towel... There were other things too but I'm on holidays and keeping my rant short cause their 'free' wifi isn't the greatest. There's a paid option too. Our toilet brush was worn down to a poo covered stub too...

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Team_camel
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all what it could have been.

The Spa offers a wide range of massages and circuits to relaxing. We are unhappy about all inconvenience but let me tell you the price for this service is 18 Euros, and for our costumer is 13,50 Euros - you have a special discount 25% about the normal rates-. We have facilities like the wellness center, parking or breakfast service and not everything is included free; each service could be used for everybody, included guest.

Regarding your comment on the Wifi, let me tell you that we have two options, as you said the Premium (paid) and the normal for navigation that is free. It would be appreciated if you told us your problems for trying give you a solution.

We apologize to you for the toilet brush. The cleanliness is a point very important for the chain and all our rooms must be impeccable.

We expect if you decide to give us another opportunity, which we would very much appreciate, please let us know beforehand so that all our organization can be at your service

Llangefni
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very good location. Pleasant helpful staff. Breakfast was good and you could order directly from the chef so everything was freshly cooked. The room was comfortable with plenty of space for all our belongings. The Spa was interesting! Overall we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Cadiz Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all thank you for your comments, because it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your holiday.

We are nice to hear your opinion about the staff. You have to know that every member of the staff thinks that our main aim is that you feel comfortable during your stay in our hotel and city.

We are also happy of knowing that you enjoy our buffet breakfast and Spa.

We expect if you decide to come back again, which we would very much appreciate.