“a place to stay one night but nothing more”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Pension Espana

Pension Espana
Ranked #2 of 12 Cadiz B&B and Inns
Cologne, Germany
“a place to stay one night but nothing more”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

we arrived lately in cádiz (after midnight), therefore, we decided to get a room quickly in the casco histórico. the pensión españa had a room for us for 40 euro with a communal bathroom. the toilet wasn't included though (??), actually we didn't find one inside of the bathroom. the furnishing of the room was very simple, one of the matresses was saggy. as we wanted to leave the pensión again to carry our baggage to the hotel the door was locked. the receptionist told us in a rather unkind way to pay for the room immediately otherwise she wouldn't open the door for us. we left one passport at the reception for we hadn't enough money with us. i think it should be sufficient to leave the passport dates at the reception (as we did shortly after our arrival) and pay the next day.
anyway: we could sleep, the shower worked (although there wasn't sth like showergel or soap for us). wlan only in the lounge. if you like to have a very simple room in the center of cádiz for the beginning of your journey, the pensión españa could be a choice but we really can`t recommand this guesthouse for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Ideal place for a romantic trip! Beautiful room and comfortable bed. Very clean, wonderful fresh smell when we entered the Pension. Nice and helpful service. We felt in the place as at home. Great value for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 278qbx
New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I liked this pension: good budget fare, very central, friendly staff, clean. I stayed in a tiny single room on the ground floor with some street noise and a bathroom a floor below. It was clean and fine but I would definitely prefer to have stayed on one of the upper floors. As people say: thin walls, a little noisy, but clean and friendly and probably the best budget bet in the centre. Note that they are closed for renovations until the spring, I believe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank GiuseppeNYC
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The location is excellent very close to the cathedral and town hall.
I was very satiesfied with the room which we got.
The own bathroom was small but the room was spacious, clean and beds confortable.
The receptionsts were always very nice.
The only negative thing was thin walls .. we could hear all noise from hallway, but there was not much nose after midnight.
I would book this pension again :).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Danielka_six
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I very recently spent 3 nights in Pension Espana in a single room with a shared bathroom for which I paid €25/night. The pension overall is clean, bright and smart looking, and, best of all is only a 5/10 minute walk from the centre of Cadiz. The room I had, although small, was perfectly adequate with a very comfortable single bed, a closet, table, chair, tv and a wash hand basin. It overlooked the street, had a balcony and could be noisy at times, but not too late. However, it had neither airconditioning nor a fan, which made it uncomfortable as the temperature was in the high 20s during my time in Cadiz. The bathroom was shared with 2 other people and I never had any problem or had to wait for long to access the bathroom. The room was cleaned every day and the towel replaced daily. The only negative comment I have is that there is absolutely NO soundproofing betwen the bedrooms and one can hear EVERYTHING... The tv, people talking,
nighttime activities....etc! Personally speaking, I would not stay at this pension again, but if noisy surroundings doesn't bother one, I certainly recommend it for location and price.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank DeeBeeIrl
sacramento, california
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Pension Espana is a very basic room, but has many advantages. The office staff are very friendly and helpful--though evening worker speaks no English. The pension is perfectly located, near everything. We were able to walk to all old town attractions, the beach, and my husband's conference at the university. The room was adequate and clean. It does not have air conditioning, but has a fan that serves the purpose. The small street outside the window can get noisy--scooters, skateboards, and folks yelling to each other. We were able to close the window overnight and use the fan, which made it quiet enough. Good choice in Cadiz!

Room Tip: We got en suite, and I think it's worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank annrosso
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This pension has many good reviews and was recommended in the guide book (as budget accommodation) but I'm not that impressed.

Advantages:
- very good location, in the old town, a couple of minutes walk from the new cathedral and maybe 15 minutes walk from the train station;
- we got a really good suggestion where to have a dinner from the person in the reception for which we are really grateful;
- reasonably clean.

Disadvantages:
- we had an en suite room but the bathroom was actually IN the room and was separated from the rest of the small room with thin glass (as far as I remember) walls/door that did not even reach the ceiling. For me having not enough privacy in the bathroom was very uncomfortable;
- no air conditioning, just a fan. There was actually no access to fresh air as the room window opened to a closed and narrow area covered with a roof;
- WIFI in the common area downstairs only.

I'm not saying it is a completely bad place to stay. We stayed there for two nights only and it was ok. The bathroom issue was the worst for me therefore I would not go back there for a longer stay. Looking at other reviews, it may be better to choose a room with a shared bathroom.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marta123456