“Weekend stay”

Hotel Spa Cadiz Plaza
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Cadiz
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on the weekend of April 5 to 7. Friendly staff on check in and were given a room on the first floor. We went out for dinner and when we came back there was a strong sewer smell in the room. The front desk was very apologetic and immediately gave us another room on the 5th floor (an apartment) which was huge. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel but chose a café across the street.

The hotel itself lacks any charm, but ok if you are out all day sightseeing or at the beach.

Great location on the beach and access to lots of restaurants within walking distance. We took a bus into town to see the old part of Cadiz (no. 1 bus across from MacDonald's, only 1 euro) and spent the day wandering the streets of the old city.

Great place to spend a weekend !

Room Tip: Don't accept anything on the first floor. Terrible sewer smell
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucydog62

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel during the July high season. The price was fine, and if you're there for the beach, the location is great. That said, we ended up spending very little time at the beach, so the walk to the historic downtown along the promenade is definitely on the longer side (30-45 min each way).

We didn't have a bad experience, but there are a few reasons why we were not fans of the place (it's somewhere between a 2 and 3 star rating in our book, but we've given it 3 since it was a decent value).

First, they don't seem to have non-smoking floors, and we had what must have been chain smokers on our floor. There was no way to prevent the smoke and smell from coming into our room, even when putting a towel under the door, so the air was perpetually unpleasant, day and night.

Second, our experience with the service was pretty poor, though we recognize this may not have been the experience that others had. The front desk had a very impersonal feel, and we got stopped several times coming back from excursions asking where we were going and whether we were guests. Maybe they have a security issue since the hotel is right on a large public square, but it didn't feel very nice to be questioned upon entry. Also, we were offered no help with bags and such, which could be a problem for elderly guests since there is limited parking outside to unload and there are stairs and some very tiny elevators to navigate in the lobby.

Third, they charge you for the oddest things. As other reviewers said, bottled water is free the first night only. After that, the minibar does not get restocked. Strange. We also had to pay $3 each for two tiny and very shabby looking beach towels, which seemed a bit ridiculous.

We did not eat at the hotel, so can't comment on the breakfast, but we did check out the breakfast room and selection one morning and weren't particularly impressed. Overall, it was just ok.

One point worth noting, though, is the plethora of restaurants along the promenade. We particularly enjoyed La Marea just up the street from the hotel with glorious seafood and a casual, friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RandB00
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Though this hotel is 2 km from the old town, it is a simple 10 minute bus ride, 5 euro cab ride or a pleasant bike ride (u can hire bikes at the hotel) along the esplanade. Don't let the distance from the old centre deter you from staying here. The beach is at your doorstep and staff are really helpful!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank orj7
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel is right by the beach, a little further from the city center. Rooms are spacious and clean and they all have small balconies. The bathroom was nicely appointed and the internet worked fine, although you need an ethernet cable to connect. The minibar was free for one night but it only had water and juice. They rent towels for the beach at $3 each. Staff was helpful and attentive. Within walking distance of many restaurants. Great location if you want to be near the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Piolina
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After 5 weeks on the Camino we just wanted some nice beach. We were only gong to stay in Cadiz for three days and then go to Morocco for a few days. A day trip convinced us that wasn't a great idea and we decided to stay on. Pretty much chose it off the tripadvisor site when I couldn't get a room at the Victoria.
The hotel is blah. The breakfast is blah. Servers in Spain drive me nuts. I like to sit outside and drink coffee while I read. Sometimes I smoke while I do it. So every morning I would head outside when I went down to breakfast. One day I told the girl I anted cafe con leche as I headed out. As mentioned by other reviewers, you get four items off the menu. I tended to get 4 cups of coffee. So I order it as I walk through. I do this because I know there will be at least a 10 minute wait before she comes out and takes my order. She freaks out, tells me to sit down first. She was not the first server in Spain to do that. Ten minutes later, she comes out and tells me I have to SIT first , then she will take my order. OK, I said. Cafe con leche, porfa. For pete's sake.
Anyway - nothing spectacular here - except the front desk. Very nice, helpful, friendly. The hair dryer in my room didn't work, so they ran out and bought a hair dryer for me. I wanted that day trip to Morocco, they showed me one and warned me off of it - recommended some others which I didn't listen to and paid a heavy price. (Don't go to Tangiers.) Sure, it sounds like what any hotel would do - but getting that kind of customer service is rare in Spain. It is clean and the beds were comfy and you can change the TV to English. Nothing fancy but absolutely nothing bad either.
It IS right next to the beach - a 1 minute walk. It is right next to excellent restaurants and a one minute walk from the bus stop that will take you to old town in 5 minutes. Or just walk up the promenade for 45 minutes. There is a really god bathing suit store on the corner opposite the beach and a good men's place across the park.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chach63
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The hotel's staff were really helpful, the reception were fluent in English and the breakfast staff happy to manage with our limited Spanish. The hotel is near a great beach, good restaurants and a short bus ride to the centre of town. We recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great surf beach at your door.

Room Tip: Noisy at night so stay as high as possible
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank UKEUtravellers
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Although the staff are very polite and helpful the hotel's policies suck. The so called free minibar on your first night consists of 2 bottles (small) of water and 2 (small) cartons of orange juice. Breakfast is restricted to just 4 items off the menu and no refills!

• Stayed: March 2012