“palacial privilege”

Ranked #3 of 65 Hotels in Cordoba
London, United Kingdom
“palacial privilege”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is a very welcome arrival in Cordoba. The area is a little constrained if one is used to major cities but there is potential beyond the ghastly Mesquita if one explores. It is a luxury retreat not quite in the middle of not very much. A very good example of the excellent Hospes group, much more the kind of indulgent 5 star hotel that Trip Advisor commentators seem to expect.

I just love the feeling of an original palace, the huge rooms, the feeling of being in a special place. Very tranquil. Very well appointed with original sculptures, interesting public spaces, some very clever design elements.

Very jolly and helpful staff, provincial but in a positive way. None of that metropolitan cynicism.

I would not particularly want to go back to Cordoba. I would like to go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: There are some rooms facing courtyards which are a bit special.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is an impeccably managed hotel with extremely helpful staff. The patio garden and its menu are a delight, and the dining room is truly great for breakfast and dinner. Compares very well with many fine hotels.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed at this lovely property for one evening on a stopover from Granada to Madrid. After enjoying the quirkiness and character of previous hotels on our trip, this property's modern conveniences were a welcome relief. I had booked a "dreamer" room for our brief stay which was certainly adequate. The bathroom was a good size with a great shower and modern fixtures. The bed and pillows (king bed) were very comfortable. The room was a little small but well outfitted with wireless Internet, a safe, and mini-bar. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We did not eat at the hotel but walked through the dining room at night to see the ruins below the glass floor which were cool. I was a little concerned about the hotel's location from the main sites but this was not really an issue - about a 15 minute walk to the cathedral. During peak tourist season, it might be an advantage to be away from the crowds.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Maisyandlilly
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Cordoba was my third stop in Spain and this hotel was my favorite one. The hotel style is very beautiful and the staff were very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Jodoigne-souveraine, Belgium
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This old aristocratic palace has been renovated with an incredible taste. The spa, the pool, the rooms, the breakfast room and not the least the food were an incredible experience

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
DC
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for three nights during my visit to Cordoba in late September 2011. Prior to my arrival the hotel sent me several emails about my upcoming visit, and welcoming me in advance. I took the train from Sevilla to Cordoba, and the Renfe magazine had a glowing article about the hotel, so I was excited. Upon arrival, a woman from the reception area showed me to my room, and explained the hotel features, etc. The property itself is stunning, and lots of care and $$$ has gone into the construction/renovation. In the central courtyard there is a small swimming pool, and an outdoor dining area. My room was very quiet, and the bathroom was super modern, with greek gels and shampoos. Each evening there was a turn-down service, and the bath products were always refreshed. Wifi is free, but reception has to give you a receipt for each mobile device with separate password info. I had the buffet breakfast each morning, and I enjoyed it. There is also a spa, but I did not take advantage of those services. I realized that the location was going to be a slight problem when the desk handed me the map, and I saw a long wandering street just to get to the first main Plaza. From there you walk down another street to get to the Alcazar, Jewish Quarter, etc, about a 15-20 min walk from the hotel. They advertise a central location, but this is to Cordoba proper, and not the tourist venue. The man at the desk was very nice, and he walked me outside, and pointed me to the right, and then to the left, but then the wandering part begins. I speak Spanish, so I found someone to get me to the Plaza. It was an inconvenience for me, because I had a camera and several lens which I had to drag around all day. I like a super central location so that I can go back to my room and freshen up, and then go back out. In the evenings, I took a taxi back to the hotel for about 5 euros from the tourist sights, and there is a taxi stand by the Cathedral. If the hotel calls the radio taxi, I think you have to add 3 euros for the call. Since the hotel was so lovely, I decided to enjoy my stay, and the peace and quiet that the hotel offers. I checked out two other 4 star hotels in the jewish quarter, and they were not as nice as the Hospes. If you are looking for a romantic trip and relaxing in the pool/spa, then this is the place for you. I noticed several couples who appeared to hang around the hotel for relaxation. If you are in Cordoba for a quick sightseeing jaunt, you might prefer a less luxurious hotel close to the historic sights. I found the service to always be attentive and helpful, and they quickly got me a taxi to the train staion. My only recommendation to the hotel might be to enlarge the portion of the map to get you out of the immediate area on foot, or to place small markers along the walk, if the city allows. For people just chilling at the hotel, the location may be ideal.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank topazDC
San Diego, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2011

This is the most EXTRAORDINARY hotel (with excellent management and staff) we have EVER stayed in in Europe. It is a former ancient palace that was purchased by this unique boutique chain (Hospes) and took 5 years to remodel. Not only is the property GORGEOUS beyond description (including a glass floor in the dining room that reveals REAL Roman ruins below that they uncovered during remodeling-- I am not kidding), but the staff is so outstanding, you feel as if you have a personal butler. They know your name and what you like and are available to help and give guidance, arrange reservations, or ANYTHING your heart desires 24 hours a day. They are very good at spoiling you. The front desk staff who checks you in in an intimate way, offers you champagne, and proudly gives new guests an immediate private personal tour of the property, including the spa with it's sub-terranial ROMAN BATHS--3 steamy pools of different temperatures (which are heavenly and unique). Eager-to-please staff is beyond accommodating and professional, and they WANT to do anything for you. One lovely staff (young man) even ran to the bank to exchange American money when the banks were going to close in 15 minutes! Front desk asst. manager JOEY is beyond exceptional, gets to know you by name, and goes above and beyond to ensure you enjoy every facet of your stay, like it is his personal mission. A/C worked beautifully (it was hot outside). Excellent location (within walking distance to plaza with shopping, restaurants and nightlife). They inspect and valet park your car in nearby car park. Bathrooms small, with cute little unique sloped sinks but no vanity top (small shelves provided for toiletries). Breakfast buffet offered many delicious choices including cake that melted in your mouth and wonderfully fresh croissants, and heavenly make-to-order eggs that server takes order for and delivers efficiently and cordially-- wonderful dining room staff who also get to know you and remember even how you take your coffee. Lovely endless edged pool, with special sumptuous lounge chairs that encourage you to dip your feet in shallow pool edges while lounging and reading a good book. Feather pillows so incredible, that I purchased several to take with us. Peaceful, very upscale and opulent. A PIECE OF HEAVEN ON EARTH and TOTALLY MAGICAL experience.

Room Tip: "Dreamer" room very small. Worth upgrading to junior suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple