“Delightful little Inn”

Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Cordoba
Calgary, Canada
“Delightful little Inn”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This is a chaming small though simple inn in a good location at the fringe of the old part of town.
The room that I was assigned was spotlessly clean, reasonably spacious and quiet.
There are a number of interesting restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel
A previous review said that the hair dryer unit was more like a hand-dryer; the thing is that this is a caddy-type of wall-mounted unit which has a hinged lid; when the lid is lifted off it reveals a hair dryer and its cord nestled neatly inside.
Keep in mind that the restaurant and bar seem to follow local practices as far as opening hours are concerned, I returned at 6.30pm one evening hoping to have a splash of fino only to discover the bar area in darkness although it did re-open for business later that same evening.
It would be helpful to have a working knowledge of Spanish (or a good phrasebook) when staying here.
I thought that it was very good value for money and it certainly met my expectations.
I would stay here again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Colchester, Essex United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2011

A small hotel tucked away in the conservation area of this beautiful city. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and the staff freindly and helpful.
The hotel is in a very good location close both to the Main Centre and the Old Part. You will need a map to find you way around.
The hotel is also a taberna, but was closed in the evenings, but there were plenty of other places open nearby.
There was only one problem, we were in room 5 which had a street light right out side the window and then curtains did not shut out the light., the second night we hung my coat up over the window which did the trick.
Beautiful and Charming, I intend to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren K
Melbourne
Reviewed September 29, 2010

It was nice to come back here at the day and enjoy a drink in the sun on their terrace at the front. A good location to explore the town, might be a bit noisy as some of the rooms have windows overlooking the lane which is well used.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
ottersum
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We visited Plateros from 18 – 20 of September 2010. It is a small(12 rooms) family-runned hotel in the city centre about 300 mtrs. from one of world’s largest mosks ‘la Mezquita’ and about 400 mtrs. from the Guadalquivir. In front of the hotel there is a terrace where you can have your breakfast and/or dinner. Inside there is a cosy breakfast/dinner/TV room and a bar. There is also an internet point. There are non-smoking and disabled-accessible rooms, some of them feature balcony.
We occupied a rather small room (nr. 11), which had a good double bed, a rather large cupboard, a small table and a small TV with a lot of channels, but alas all in the Spanish language. The window is double glazed, rather soundproofed and looks out into a small alley. There is an individually controlled air-conditioner which makes such a terrible noise that he can not be used at night. There is an ensuite bathroom with a wash stand and a perfectly working shower. You also will find soap, shower gel and shampoo.
Breakfast is very, very simple: a large toasted roll, butter, several kinds of jam, some cups with meat pie, orange juice and a cup of coffee or tea and on Sunday’s an extra croissant. But you have to realize that it costs only 4 euro. We once had diner and lunch with both were very well.
Staff is very kind and helpful. Check in and check out went very smoothly. We asked for a quiet room and we got it.
The ideal location, the cosiness of the hotel and the kindness of the staff make the hotel very recommendable.
Tip 1: if you arrive by train, take a taxi (only 8 euro), because it is very difficult to find.
Tip 2: La Mezguita is the most impressive building to visit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jwmpet
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 8, 2010

First off this hotel is adorable! It is just as it looks in the photos, and the location can't be beat. But there are a few drawbacks, so I'll break it down as follows:

PROs: Unbelievably cute small hotel, and at a really good price. When I booked my room I made sure the owner knew I was a single person (I think I said it three times in my e-mail) but I wanted a balcony for sure, so if that meant I had to pay for a double room I would gladly. So he booked a double room for me with balcony, for the price of 44.94 euros per night rather than the 32.10 euros for a single. However when I arrived, he insisted I look at a single room, telling me he didn't realize I was only one person, since he had a single room with a balcony over a little side street. Excellent, I told him I would take it and said that my price would be the single rate, correct? Nope, I was still on the hook for 44.94 double rate he told me, but they would now include breakfast for the three mornings I would be there. Well, I don't usually pay over 12 euros for breakfast...but I was tired...didn't feel like haggling, and to be honest, 44.94 euros did seem like an okay price. The interaction did leave me feeling a bit unsettled though, but I was the one who agreed to it so...so be it! (This turns into a big CON later though as the breakfast was them completely ignoring me in their empty eating area every morning, eventually they would bring me one cup of coffee and a big hunk of bread with some jam. Then when I finished that I would have to hunt them down for a second cup of coffee, and I was very brave on days 2 and 3 to ask for a glass of orange juice, which given to me, but nothing close to service with a smile.)

But back to the PROs: I liked my little single room a lot. It had its own bathroom, was *just* big enough and I had my own set of French doors (no bars across) and small balcony that overlooked a side street that was barely wide enough for cars to pass. (I stayed in room 4.) Not much traffic, not too noisy. Good people watching. In addition, the hotel has a completely picturesque patio where you can get tapas and a drink on a nice day. (Although another CON wedged in here is that the one day I sat out there and ordered tapas, it took almost an hour just to get my small plate of patatas bravas. But hey, I'm in Spain and in no hurry fortunately...but be warned that service just seemed painfully and exceptionally slow for any kind of food.)

More PROs: They have a cute small resident dog, and if you're there on a Saturday night it seems like all of Cordoba is stopping by for a drink and socializing. I loved it! It was about a 5-minute walk to the Mezquita, and I felt totally safe out at all hours walking those streets. People in Cordoba were friendly and it was fun. And did I mention how picturesque the hotel is?

CONs: Management was laissez-faire and as others have noted elsewhere, seemed more interested in the locals in their little pub/restaurant than in their hotel customers. I definitely got the impression they wanted to have as little interaction with the hotel guests as possible. But it's okay, just give me the key to my room and that's usually all I need, so it wasn't a problem for me! (Well, except in the morning when I had to track them down for the extra coffee. One needs to pick one's battles and getting enough coffee in the morning is definitely mine!)

Also the door handle on my cute French doors was broken but it still locked and if I jiggled it I could work it okay. And this one killed me: The hairdryer they advertise is really a wall hand dryer that has a picture of a hairdryer on it. And it's mounted over the sink! I laugh every time I think of the contortions I had to perform to get my head under that thing, it really had no hose or nozzle or anything, just hot air shooting down onto the sink, and as I am somebody who requires a hair dryer after my shower, this provided much entertainment value every morning. I've been all over the US and to Europe 18 times now and have never seen anything like it. Too funny!

Bottom line: Despite the cons would definitely return to Cordoba and Hotel Plateros, but would plan to not eat breakfast at the hotel, and to bring my own hairdryer!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank LunaBella25
El Gastor, Spain
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We already live in Andalucia running our own B&B but try and travel around the region whenever we get the opportunity. Over the last couple of months we have had 4 or 5 trips away but the best by far has been in Cordoba. The Hotel Plateros is outstanding value for money. The staff are welcoming and knowledgeable. The hotel is just a short walk from the Mezquita. We arrived on Sunday lunchtime and the restaurant was full with a number of large parties. Unfortunately the restaurant isn't open on Sunday nights - nor the bar - which was a bit disappointing although we did have a nice evening strolling through the old town visiting a number of tapas bars. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
MASS
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Plateros for one night. We are a family of four, with a 15 year-old daughter and 12-year-old son. The hotel agreed to our request to squeeze the four of us into one room, with two cots, in order to keep our expenses down. The hotel is a nice old building on a pretty, quiet, little plaza. We enjoyed having tapas out front in the dusk and later we enjoyed watching soccer with the locals in the bar. The location of the hotel is great -- enough off the beaten path to escape the hustle and bustle, but close enough to get to everything easily. It's just a five minute walk to the Plaza Tendillas, less than a 10 minute walk to the Mesquita, and only just over 20 minutes to the train and bus stations (we walked both coming and going). The lodging included a continental breakfast, which is worth E8-E10 for a family of four. The hotel is clean and well maintained (our room had a recently resotred bathroom). The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel has free WIFI, though it did not reach our room. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family