“A pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We were in Cordoba for two days, and were trying to find a decent restaurant to eat in an unfamiliar place. My wife spotted this one, and it had some good reviews from Trip Advisor so we decided to stop in for dinner. We were not disappointed. Not being familiar with Spanish food, we got to try some really excellent new dishes we had not had before. The patatas bravas were especially memorable, but we really enjoyed everything, including olives, bread, wine, and dessert. I wish we could get these fresh Spanish olives in America. It was a quite memorable experience. This is the kind of restaurant we would love to go back to again.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank psj81

Salamanca, Spain
“Wow, zooms straight in to become one of the best restaurants in Cordoba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've only dined once here so far but on the strength of that meal, I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best restaurants in Cordoba, even though it only opened recently. The starter of crispy aubergine/salmorejo "lasagne" was a taste revelation, really extraordinary. It was followed by one of the best flamenquins I've ever had. For some reason, great flamenquins are quite rare in Cordoba compared to, say, great rabos de toro, Cordoba's other trademark dish. Having eaten many flamenquins in Cordoba's finest restaurants, although there are many good ones, there are only two I would call truly great, this being one of the two.

Of the new restaurants that have sprung up in Cordoba in the last year or two, there are three that I consider truly outstanding. These are: La Regadera, El Bañista and now this one, La Favela. Others may get more hype and attention - Umami, Taberna Luque, Blanco Enea, Alter Ego, Fusión by Sojo and Norte & Sur come to mind - but the underlying quality just doesn't justify it. I think I will need to return and try everything on the menu here.

For tourists, they have a menu in English. The waiter also speaks English. Location-wise, it is just up from the Plaza de la Corradera, just down from the Roman ruins in Calle Claudio Marcelis, and just opposite the Jazz cafe.

• Visited October 2013