“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Cordoba
madrid
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We have just returned from our stay at the Amistad, we stayed during Easter, semana santa. The hotel staff very friendly and polite, service fast and efficient. We were shown to our room by a member of staff in the building across from the reception by Luis who was very helpful. We were able to park our car in the hotel car park for the price of 18 euros, this is typical in Spain that you pay for the hotel carparking. We left the keys with Luis and he took care of it. The access to the hotel is somewhat narrow and a good navigator is required to find the entrance, however we did not have any problems as we had our navigator programmed ready. The hotel is in the centre and within walking distance of bars and restaurants. The hotel is very clean and the bathroom enormous,very modern rooms with plasma 37 inch tv on wall. You will find a small swimming pool on 3rd floor with lovely patio and terrace. There is a sauna and gym should you need it. I would definitely stay at this hotel should i return to Cordoba again.
By the way do not eat at the bar CORDOBESA as its expensive and the food has no flavour. We found RAFEA restaurant for tapas or raciones very good, the flavour mmmm.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janeymadrid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
chicago
Reviewed March 7, 2009

What a contrast between the entry across the moat and through the ancient door to the modern hipster room. Ours was on the first floor just off the courtyard. the room had " a View of the Jew" Mahomodies the scholar. for whom the street is named. The Bronze sculpture of him was just outide the window. It really was a great room. Ultra modern in an ancient walled fortress with a narrow "street" more like a gangway running across the back of the place.

The cab dirver could not get into the walled city. So he left us off about 100 meters from the door and said "a la derecha" so we went to the end of the street and turned right ant there was a wall. I mean a WALL. but down the alley and across a moat was the NH sign. really cool. The staff at the hotel was great.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ORD1963
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I was in Cordoba for a conference and I was hosted by the organization, thus I have no idea how much my stay at Amistad costed.
As many before me said, the location is absolutely superb! All Cordova's artistical amenities are at easy reach and walking up and the down the town center can be very nice. The food was also great: breakfast buffet was good and the hotel restaurant served the best meal my family and I had in Cordoba.
There are still some works in progress but that was not of much disturb. As for my room, it was small but clean (the bathroom was amazing though!). All in all, it was a good stay, although - not knowing the price - I cannot judge whether the ratio quality/price was worth it!

• Liked — Dinner at the hotel restaurant, inner courtyard
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank vienna_myCapital
Llandudno
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Despite reading earlier reviews we took a chance and stayed at the hotel and are really glad we did. Our room had obviously been very recently refurbished, it was clean, very modern and comfortable with an excellent bathroom. The building work mentioned by other reviewers is still ongoing but is almost complete and we experience no noise or disruption whatsoever. As others have reported, driving to the hotel in the maze of narrow streets of Cordoba is not a task to be undertaken lightly, it is extremely difficult to get to by car. However the main Victoria Underground car park is within 250 yards of the hotel, it is secure and is easy to find on one of Cordobas main roads. We parked our car there for 3 nights at a cost of 9€ per night and would recommend that as the best option if travelling to the hotel by car, and half the price of hotel parking. The hotel has one major advantage, location, location, location, right in the city centre and within minutes of all the major attractions. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very difficult to get to by car
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hanway
London
Reviewed August 27, 2008

It is one fo Cordoba's most expensive (but best located) hotels and its just dreadful.

As others have noted it is a nightmare to navigate the old town (which is not their fault), but when we rang for help they were incredibly unheplful and then charged, exploitatively, for parking.

The Hotel is being extensively (new roof and atrium) refurbished and was an enormous noisy building site that should not have been open to the public. We refused to eat the (admittedly lavish for Spain) buffet breakfast in the brickdust filled gloomy partitioned off section that constituted the dining room, because it was so depressing.

The refubished room we were eventually put in (having been moved once because our room had recently been vacated by compulsive smokers - no doubt they couldnt sleep; and then because of the incessant drilling) was horrible in a kind of parody version of 1990's boutique chic: about 20 absurdly overdesigned lighting devices in each room, and silly aromatherapy bathroom products the packaging of which constituted a small ecological disaster; with walls so thin you could hear the neighbours unrwrapping the citrus shoe shine.

Finally, the staff were elegant, arrogant and useless; when we complained vociferously about the grim sleepless experience that is staying here other guests around us cheered.

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Canonalberic
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Found a good deal, about 140€ for 2 nights.

They did upgrade us into a bigger room when presenting my Gold Air France FF card.

Arriving by car is a BIG STRESS.

DO NOT PARK at the hotel : streets are so narrow I had to retract the mirrors and saw walls scratched all over the city centre...

Park in the street in front of the city walls, much better (if I had known).

Hotel was under renovation but very little noise.

Room 221 is in a corner with a HUGE bathroom.

Reception personal was poor, giving me wrong information on business hours for Hertz.

I guess they tried to make it up to us when I found a note saying they cleaned the windshield of our rented car.

BUT they parked the car in a corner and the bellboy curved the metal of the hood to reach the other side.

I saw it when on the road. Called from NH Sevilla Plaza de Armas later same day. Reception told me not to worry, insisted they contact their colleagues in Cordoba. Cordoba Reception then told me the guy thought he did not lean sufficiently to do damage, that manager is not there. I called the next day again with no real answer from the reception. Leaved my cell phone for manager to call me as he was supposed to be out. He called me 5 min. later and then explained almost rudely he did not want to get involved and told me the bellboy sweared he did not do anything...

I should not have contacted reception but management directly but manager did a poor job on customer service calling me bascially a liar not have his hotel P&L impacted...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — access by car, Poor customer service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I cannot recommend this hotel. When we opened the door to our room we were overwhelmed with a sweet smell of some kind. Upon investigating it was some type of deorderizer in the bathroom. The smell was so sickening that we removed it. When we came back to the room after dinner I understood why. The smell of smoke, tobacco was overwhelming. It was late so I decided to endure and not change rooms, that was a mistake. I felt nauseated in the middle of the night.
The next day we changed rooms. We went to a smaller room and that was o.k. However, there was something off about the air in this hotel. It very simply did not smell good. This is the only hotel in Spain that I had this experience.
The mistake I made when we checked out was not asking for a free night. I am usually assertive but not this time and I regret it. The price of the room was not worth what we paid.

I suggest steering clear of this hotel. Not a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2008