“Poor Customer Service, Great Location”
Review of Hotel Mezquita

Hotel Mezquita
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Cordoba
Houston, Texas
“Poor Customer Service, Great Location”
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is right across from the Mezquita in Cordoba. When we arrived the temperatures were around 100 degrees. Unfortunately, their A/C system in our room was very antiquated (the knob for the temperature spun all the way around), required having to have your key in and it did not work! I told them early on about it, but said to give it some time. After some sightseeing we returned and the A/C was still not working. Again, I told them at the reception (a different person this time). They played around with it for a while, but no success. Eventually, they contacted another hotel so that we could relocate.

The hotel felt very humid and muggy, the halls were a bit dark (but had an automatic sensor that would turn lights on). Overall, I would say that the Hotel Mezquita felt older than the Mezquita itself.

I will say that it is perfectly situated across the Mezquita whereby you can just walk into the Patio and right to the ticket booth.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel's building is beautiful and its location is fantastic. We have a relatively nice view to the minaret of Mezquita from room No 5. Nothing fancy but the room was clean and good size; definitely excellent for the price (50 euro a night).

Room Tip: if you want to sleep in the morning, this hotel shouldn't be your choice. There was a cafe right...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lacrescent
Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location, much less than a stones throw from the historic and unique Moezquita. All the other attractions are within walking distance as well. The hotel itself is an old mansion with beautiful paintings and antiques displayed throughout. It is really an interesting structure. Having said that, as a hotel , I would rate it a bit above average. For the price, it is a decent value. The room was clean, average size with adequate a/c. Bathroom was small as is usually the case in Spain in this price range. The beds were hard as is apparently also typical in Spain. The staff was efficient, but somewhat aloof and impersonal. My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights and enjoyed our stay and although we weren't overly impressed with some aspects of it, we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It would be nice if the wifi extended beyond the lobby.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank clark350
Hino, Japan
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The notable things about this hotel is that:
just in front of Mezquita.
Groud floor is somewhat like an art meuseum. We saw a group of tourists who were watching the paintings thru the door. Too bad, we don't know the name of the works nor painters.. No explanation at hotel.
Otherwise it's just average hotel. We paid 125 Euro per night for a double room. It was the most expensive spending in our Andalucia trip. Actually we found less expensive hotel with better service in Granada or Sevilla.
Service by clerks are business like.
The room is small but ok size, the bed is small.
The hotel has wifi service but it didn't reach our room on 1st floor.
The breakfast is 6 euro with many kinds of pastries. It's not such special meal. You can eat cafe nearby but breakfast at cafe in Spain costs about 7 euro or so so I would say it's not that bad.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in first week of the May. We found out at check-in that our room was at first floor(american 2nd floor) with no lift. Our friends stayed at another wing which has lift. They couldn't change our room since the hotel was fully occupied. Our room is tiny, very basic, the staff were average. There were bugs flying around(we didn't open the window). We left the bathroom light on during the night. The floor was covered with bug bodies. I guess they were termites. Our friends stayed at other rooms didn't have this problem. My advice is to ask a room at the wing with lift, I guess the wing with lift is a newer one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Helotes, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Tom-Tom had a little trouble finding this hotel but is was worth the hunt. Rooms are average size with small but clean bathroom. Good price and breakfast plentiful. Would go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I was very happy with staying at this hotel. Especially considering the location, right next to the entrance to the Mezquita, it is a great price. The staff were very nice and always made an effort. I liked the marble floors and the bed was comfortable.

I will say that I did not quite understand the breakfast. It was a buffet breakfast and they put out a lot of very good food (yogurt, juice, cheescake, bread, ham, marmalades and pates). What I didn't understand was that there was no toaster for the bread. I wound up making a sort of sandwich with tomato, ham and bread. It was alright but it would have made more sense to me to have the marmalades and pates if there was a toaster. My partner ate cheesecake for breakfast which was good but again a little bit confusing as a breakfast item. It's not just that it's a Spanish breakfast I think because we had stayed in 6 other b&b's in Andulucia before getting to Cordoba. So I definitely recommend this hotel as I was happy with it in every other way, but you may consider finding a cafe for breakfast after checking out the breakfast spread. It's very good food just perhaps needs more of an explanation.

Room Tip: Room 25 was wonderful and has both a balcony and a window that look directly at the Mezquita.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple