Below you can read my review of this place from last August. However, we've been back since and I must warn you readers that I was seriously wrong and that, on our return, we were severely put off.
Last night was the final nail in the coffin and I'm afraid I can safely say the gentleman managing Taj Mahal has lost a few valuable customers in one fell swoop.
To begin with, service is diabolical. In my last review I remarked that service was ok but, also, that that had been case with us being the only diners.
Actually, it seems that, as soon as just another couple comes in, the waiter/manager is completely thrown. You can expect to be sitting there without having been acknowledged or even been handed a menu for ages.
It can seriously be up to fifteen minutes before you're even asked which drinks you would like. Last night, my partner had to actually get up and look around the corner to finally grab the attention of the under-worked patron. That's out of order, and simply unacceptable, even for thrid-rate restaurants.
However, this was not the worst thing that happened. In the middle of eating, my partner discovered that the majority of his "fish tikka" starter was seriously undercooked. I mean, raw. Pink, uncooked, crude. Simply, inedible. That's €5 down the drain and a likely HEALTH HAZARD.
The same, and worse, happened with my main, which was "chicken curry". The chicken was so raw that you could see blood running. This would be fine with a steak, but as the whole world knows, not with chicken. This is salmonella material. Needless to say, I just left it. Another €5 wasted. Nice. Great customer service.
At no point, did the patron ask us if there were any problems.
As we sat there with our untouched raw food in front of us, we waited and waited to simply nod him that we'd like the bill. Again, after 10 minutes waiting in vain, my partner had to get up and grab hold of him to ask for the bill.
Yes, the patron kindly offered a free shot, but he didn't notice that more than half our food was left uneaten. I'd rather my chicken be cooked properly than a free shot I didn't actually want in the first place.
Quite frankly, we wasted a total of €30 for a dreadful and potentially dangerous experience. A trading standards inspector would have a serious word.
I would imagine that the most basic thing a chef would do, especially given that there were only 2 other diners around (so he was hardly overworked), is to make sure that the food is cooked properly and that chicken and/or fish are not served seriously raw.
Just writing about it is making me feel ill and I won't pass comment on how much time (and why) we spent in the toilet in the following hours.
Terrible. Sorry Mr Taj Mahal, you lost potentially regular customers. But, frankly, you should NOT be in business if you can't make sure the food you serve is cooked and safe to eat!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.