“Went back. Vile. Avoid!”

Restaurante Taj Mahal
Ranked #172 of 884 Restaurants in Cordoba
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Cordoba, Spain
“Went back. Vile. Avoid!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Below you can read my review of this place from last August. However, we've been back since and I must warn you readers that I was seriously wrong and that, on our return, we were severely put off.

Last night was the final nail in the coffin and I'm afraid I can safely say the gentleman managing Taj Mahal has lost a few valuable customers in one fell swoop.

To begin with, service is diabolical. In my last review I remarked that service was ok but, also, that that had been case with us being the only diners.

Actually, it seems that, as soon as just another couple comes in, the waiter/manager is completely thrown. You can expect to be sitting there without having been acknowledged or even been handed a menu for ages.

It can seriously be up to fifteen minutes before you're even asked which drinks you would like. Last night, my partner had to actually get up and look around the corner to finally grab the attention of the under-worked patron. That's out of order, and simply unacceptable, even for thrid-rate restaurants.

However, this was not the worst thing that happened. In the middle of eating, my partner discovered that the majority of his "fish tikka" starter was seriously undercooked. I mean, raw. Pink, uncooked, crude. Simply, inedible. That's €5 down the drain and a likely HEALTH HAZARD.

The same, and worse, happened with my main, which was "chicken curry". The chicken was so raw that you could see blood running. This would be fine with a steak, but as the whole world knows, not with chicken. This is salmonella material. Needless to say, I just left it. Another €5 wasted. Nice. Great customer service.

At no point, did the patron ask us if there were any problems.

As we sat there with our untouched raw food in front of us, we waited and waited to simply nod him that we'd like the bill. Again, after 10 minutes waiting in vain, my partner had to get up and grab hold of him to ask for the bill.

Yes, the patron kindly offered a free shot, but he didn't notice that more than half our food was left uneaten. I'd rather my chicken be cooked properly than a free shot I didn't actually want in the first place.

Quite frankly, we wasted a total of €30 for a dreadful and potentially dangerous experience. A trading standards inspector would have a serious word.

I would imagine that the most basic thing a chef would do, especially given that there were only 2 other diners around (so he was hardly overworked), is to make sure that the food is cooked properly and that chicken and/or fish are not served seriously raw.

Just writing about it is making me feel ill and I won't pass comment on how much time (and why) we spent in the toilet in the following hours.

Terrible. Sorry Mr Taj Mahal, you lost potentially regular customers. But, frankly, you should NOT be in business if you can't make sure the food you serve is cooked and safe to eat!

AVOID.

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank Emma M

Cordoba, Spain
“Nice honest Indian food”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

An interesting change to the endless supply of Spanish and Andalusian food in Córdoba, Taj Mahal will delight lovers of Indian and Pakistani flavours.

The minimalistic, yet well-presented interiors, are the perfect background to incredibly authentic and inviting food.

Most interestingly, Taj Mahal is quite possibly the best-priced Indian/Pakistani restaurant I've ever tried on Spanish soil. Starters range from a mere €2-50 for a very generous platter of paneer to €4 for a raita (my order, not the best, but served with an interesting touch - sultanas on the top).

Main dishes are also very affordable, ranging from €4 (Saag paneer, excellent) to €6 (Chicken Supiaza, my own choice, exceptional) or €7 (my partner's Prawn Bhuna, even more amazing, according to him). In short, a single diner could have a satisfying and more than filling dinner for just over a tenner.

Pappadoms are also offered free of charge and come with three dips (garlic, mango chutney and the unexpected banana flower), whereas rice is not included in the price.

When we dined at Taj Mahal, there weren't many people so I can't comment on the service on busy days. However, I will say that we were well treated and cordially looked after.

Will definitely return.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Emma M
Madrid, Spain
“Modest setup & excellent food”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Very modest restaurant, but the food is really good and authentic!

Vienna, Austria
“Excellent spicy food a short walk from the old city”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Excellent food, large selection of dishes and a good selection of veggie options. Had a fantastic meal for 2 costing twenty euros (including beer). Can recommend the samosas and sharing dhal and bhindi with nann and raita. The nice waiter even brought us some real achar to have with a papad. Go on 0 give it a try. www.tajmahal.xp3.biz

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Finnbar_Oooh
Villafranca De Cordoba, Spain
“Taj Mahal: the best Indian Restuarant in Cordoba, Spain”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant in Vista Alegre in Cordoba, Spain is my personal favorite among restaurants in Cordoba. Spain is not generally great for ethnic restaurants, and I have tried several Indian restaurants in Andalucia and most have been disappointing or pricey. The Taj Mahal in Cordoba has attractive food, reasonable prices, nice service and a pleasant atmosphere.

I personally recommend the Samosas (excellent), the Nan bread, Dahl (really good). Remember to ask the waiter to put some Chile into the food if you like it a bit hot. The Taj Mahal serves Chile-less food by default because Spanish clients don´t like any heat in their dishes. So, if you like a bit of warmth in your food, you can ask them to add a bit of Chile.

I also recommend the lunch special for 6€ which includes quite a lot, including dessert.

You can also take away food. If you cannot finish it all, the restaurant will pack it away for you for no extra cost for you to eat it later.

If you like Indian food, you cannot go wrong at the Taj Mahal and the prices are quite reasonable.

• Visited November 2011