“A great find”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Almeria
Javea, Spain
“A great find”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

A friend and I have just returned from a touring holiday and our first stop was at the Hotel "Costablanca".We spent three nights at the Hotel before touring through Cabo de Gato and then taking the costal road to Almuneca The front desk staff were very helpful and knowledgable and greatly added to our enjoyment. Recommending restaurants, tapas bars, and not to miss sights in the area. (including the train to "Guadix" village of cave dwellers, quite a sight with the snow topped mountains as a back drop.)The hotel location was perfect. A few blocks from the train/bus station. Quick walks to all the sights, typical local restaurants and "classy". shops.I live in Javea Costa Blanca and my friend in U.K. and we have both spent many years working in the tourist industry in Spain.Neither of us had ever visited Almeria. We were delighted with the town, so clean, green and prosperous looking.Our two rooms for "sole occupency" were large and on the front of the hotel looking out onto the lovely tree lined "Paseo Almeria." The rooms were interconnecting so would be perfect for a family.The Hotel has an arrangement with a nearby underground car park and you pay a reduced tariff and get a card which allows you to get in out of the car park as many times as you wish during you stay 24hrs a day.We are recommending this Hotel to our friends in Spain and U.k.

Room Tip: Rooms on front of Hotel are bright and sunny and overlook the lovely tree lined Paseo Almeria.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed at the Costasol recently and it was generally pretty good.

Some of the rooms (at the back of the hotel) can be very dark, with almost no natural light. One of our party made a polite request to change the room, and they were allowed to. Obviously if the place is full, you won't be so lucky.

The hotel has a slightly outdated feel to it and could perhaps do with a bit of modernisation, but in general it was absolutely acceptable. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and tolerant.

Breakfast was available until 11am, which is a godsend if you are out late and want a lie-in. Breakfast itself is pretty basic in the Spanish style i.e. toasted baguettes and a selection of honey/jam etc. The freshly squeezed orange juice was the really good thing.

WiFi was free and strong enough, which was a good plus point.

The room with breakfast was good value, considering the location is excellent.

In general, I would recommend the Costasol.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with plenty of natural light. Some of the rooms are dark.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank chappers29
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We spent two nights at the Hotel Costasol before touring through Cabo de Gato. The front desk staff were very helpful and knowledgable. The hotels location was perfect. A few blocks from the train/bus station. Quick walks to all the sights and the bus to the airport is only three blocks down. We received a good deal, 60€ a night, so it was a real bargain. I would only put two maybes out there: The toilet was in a cubby behind the door, very awkward to utilize. And the Breakfast, both food and service, left something to be desired. Other than those minor items, I would highly recommend the Costasol.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank CalgaryCrisdean
Oxford
Reviewed September 16, 2010

August 2010 my wife & I started a 25 day tour of Andalucia in Almeria. Although the city itself is not much to write about it served our purposes as a jump-off point.

This hotel.... as we later learned... was excellent value for money. Clean, well presented rooms added to good front desk service (particularly from Diego & Miguel).

The location was ideal for everything we wanted (close to beach, shops, nightlife, public transport and, important for us, the Avis Car Rental place).

The room was lovely & clean with all the modcons we needed. The advice from Reception was helpful & the language skills were excellent.

We'd not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a "business-style" hotel, well located in Almeria City.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SandfieldGH
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I was working in Almeria and I was booked into this centrally located Hotel, and as I was away I had my portable computer to possibly link in to an internet connecttion. The Hotel "offered" a free conetion in the room via phone link and details on how to connect onto the internet. In april 2006, there was no indication that this would be charged or the rates, so one assumed that this was a free service, like in other hotels in Spain.

I even went down to reception to borrow a telephone cable and they did not tell me that I would be charged for this service.

So I connected in and I must say that the velocity was at 28,5 kps, great wopping speed, but enough to work and play an online game. Obviously a very slow load down.

So when I checked out I received a telephone bill for 132,05 euros, Here in spain broadband costs about 45 euros per month. I was very upset with this. I proceeded in filing an official complaint and when the inspectors came round, typical, there was a notification on what costs etc and my claim came to nothing.

A word of advice, if you feel cheated and you wish to put in an official complaint, get the police to back your version, then you have a legal chance of winning.

As far as the Hotel is concerned, didnt like it much, poor service and with the above issue, more interested in fleecing that giving a good service.

Don't recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
durham
Reviewed September 8, 2004

We stayed here for four nights during a 5 week tour of Spain. We found Almeria had little going for it and the Costasol was in keeping with this impression of the town.
The good points first-its on the main street and the price was more than reasonable for a 3 star hotel.
The bad points- Well, my wife and I were at a loss as to where the three stars actually came from!
The hotel felt stuck in a 70s time warp, and although clean, the general feel of the place was neither relaxed nor welcoming. Our room was tired and dark-the decoration and furnishings failing to compare to the 2 star we stayed in at Vejer. Sleep was just about possible with ear-plugs, as the main air conditioning motor seemed attatched to the outer wall adjoining our room.
Ther are quite a few new 3 and 4 star hotels in the city. We got the feeling that Costasol suffered because of that, and that it was an establishment on the way down.
It was a place to get out of as quick as possible, rather than a hotel where you happily lounge over a relaxed breakfast whilst planning the day.
Almeria the city delivered a lot less than the guidebooks suggested. Likewise Costasol. I would urge you to find alternatives-avoid both.

• Stayed August 2004