Hotel zur alten Stadtmauer
$158
$142
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssmall hotelthird floorold buildingwould definitely stay here againan easy walkcity centreminute walkchristmas marketthe riverluggageshowergermany
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at Hotel zur alten Stadtmauer for 2 nights in May 2011. We chose the hotel because it was in the old town and was reasonably priced.

We arrived in Lubeck around 11 am having caught the train from Berlin. We walked to the hotel from the train station, it is a bit of a distance and I would only recommend this if you have a back pack as with a suitcase the walk would prove quite difficult.

When we arrived at the hotel they could not find our booking and despite me showing them an email they had sent me they declared we were not on the system, however they advised they did have a room available. We were given a key and proceeded up to the third floor and almost as soon as we put down our bags they knocked on the door advising they had found our booking and they moved us to another room - it was identical, however the first room did not appear to have been made up yet!

The room was very cosy with a double bed, a nice little table & chairs, a couch and coffee table with tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was bright & fresh - the shower is quite small but it had excellent water pressure and was so clean!

The staff were very friendly. I had difficulty logging into the free wifi, the young guy on the front desk did try to help but I was not able to access the wifi during our whole stay, this was a bit frustrating as I had some banking I needed to do and had to find a cafe with wifi - not so easy to do in Germany!

The breakfast was quite good, although it was strange. I felt more like I was having anti pasto than breakfast - there were all sorts of goodies like olives, sun dried tomatoes, cheese etc. There were "normal" breakfast choices too and the staff also cooked eggs if you wanted them. The coffee was quite nice, you could have tea also and there were a variety of juices.

We slept very well at this hotel, the room was so dark, I had to use the torch on my phone to find my way to the toilet in the night, it was literally pitch black. There was a little noise from the rooms above us, the floor is wooden so I guess there is not much that can be done about this.

The location of the hotel is great, as mentioned it is a walk from the station, but otherwise everything you would want to see in Lubeck is easy to access.

Lubeck itself is such a gorgeous little city - we really loved it. Sitting by the river watching the canal boats go by was just so pleasant.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to people coming to Lubeck. it is good value for money, it is clean and extremely comfortable. It is not a top class hotel by any means and if you want 5 star, go elsewhere, but if you appreciate a more homely hotel then this is for you!! Make sure you visit Lubeck, it is just beautiful!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MerryMegsy
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I just loved this little place. The people running it were just incredibly cool and helpful. We'd booked one double and one single room. When we arrived (just before 11 p.m.) the young man in charge volunteered that the price we'd been quoted was actually too high so the cost would be less, and furthermore that if we wanted we could have one big room for three people instead, for which the cost would be even less. When it rained the next day they lent us big umbrellas, gave us maps, told us about the history of Lubeck, let us leave our luggage on site and park in their car park long after check-out time etc. It was almost like staying with friends.

The property is old, has a lot of stairs, and in some ways has the feel of a college dorm. The room itself was clean and attractive with a nice view.

Breakfast was a thing of beauty. Half a dozen different breads, at least 20 different types of delicious jam, yogurts, cereal, eggs and other choices cooked to order, fresh juices and a lot more, served in an attractive glass-sided breakfast room (apparently a modern add-on.)

I liked Lubeck a lot. It combines the sedate charm of history -- cobbled streets, courtyards, beautiful gardens and old churches -- with the energy of a college town. A bit like Durham or York, but with marzipan added.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Very nice and clean bathroom. Looked new. Very good breakfast. Very, very nice staff. Good location. Recommended. Not the best wifi - a bit on an off.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is a charming little B&B located on a quaint side street close to the cathedral. We paid just 85 Euro for a warm and cosy triple room. The bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean with nice touches such as exposed brick work and beams. There are tea making facilities in the room and free Wifi throughout. Breakfast was served in the newly built conservatory which was glorious on a sunny and crisp winters morning.
One possible drawback: the rooms have wooden floorboards and you can hear every footstep in the rooms around you.
A taxi to the train station costs around 7 Euro.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gingaa
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Located to the south just inside the old city perimeter this is a real gem. It is a small and friendly hotel with really nice staff. Our room (number 7) was on the first floor just above the dining room and was just about what you need.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple