“Hidden Gem”

Theaterfigurenmuseum
Ranked #15 of 51 things to do in Lubeck
More attraction details
Owner description: The Puppet Theater Museum was established in 1982 by collector Fritz Fey and preserves a unique collection dealing with the theme of Puppet Theater. Belonging in its inventory are a variety of puppets, props, theater scenery, and placards, as well as musical instruments from the continents of Asia, Africa, and Europe. A collection acquisition conducted in 2010 on behalf of the Possehl Stiftung documented more than 30,000 exhibits. Some objects are up to 300 years old. The collection of Lübeck’s Puppet Theater Museum is internationally known in expert circles. The Museum finds itself adjacent to Lübeck’s Puppet Theater where modern pieces are staged for children and adults.
Gold Coast
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stumbled upon this by accident. While in Lubeck I found English speaking people is very rare so other than walking the beautiful town, sightseeing and shopping, there isn't too much to do. This museum was very cool and a great way to spend a couple of hours. I never thought a puppet museum could be so interesting, it was full of history and a highlight of my 2 night stay in Lubeck.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Kozziosko

El Dorado Hills, California
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Puppet Museum”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This was a very entertaining museum in a huge multistory ancient house. On the ground floor, you may purchase special coffee and teas. You can also purchase cards, puppets, and other toys. We went on a self guided tour, and found ourselves still there after two hours. It was well worth the price of admission. The puppets came in all shapes and sizes. They were from all over the world. Some were antiques, others were more recent. It was the biggest puppet museum we had ever seen. It was fun to explore the many rooms in this house, and climb the stairs- all the way up into the attic.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank Laura H
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“you must have some interest to really like it”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

It was our bad weather option and its not bad but to get alot of enjoyment out of it for the money you pay you should be quite into puppets and their history. Although I found it intersting sometimes I still thought that I paid to much for that.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Annett H
Berlin, Germany
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not so small afterall”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Before we got inside, I thought:this is probably just one room, but I was wrong and I'm happy for it. My 8 year old niece was delighted. It was really fun, the Museum has a nice collection, mostly German, African and Asian but great.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank KateMio
College Station TX
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fascinating!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited the marionette museum in Lübeck, the Theaterfigurenmuseum, and we loved it! My wife teaches courses in children's literature, so of course we had an inside perspective on the long tradition of puppetry in almost every world culture. It was very interesting to see marionettes and puppets from all over the world, some very old. You can see the entire collection in less than an hour, or you can spend half a day if you wish. The theater, next door to the museum, presents plays and performances regularly, and if we were staying here longer, we'd be sure to attend.

Complete worth the time and the price of admission. Recommended.

Visited June 2013